“The good and the bad”

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Hiram, Georgia
“The good and the bad”
Reviewed 10 August 2008

Ok so where do I begin... from the beginning of booking this trip we had problems. My friend booked the trip and was told that there was a $200 security deposit that you would get back about 2 weeks after check out. I don't have a problem with this, this isnt the first time i've run into security deposits at hotels. The problem was that we kept being told different things about it. At first we were told that the 200 came out of what we owed. Then later we called back to just check on everything and they told us it was in ADDITION to what we had to pay. The first guy apparently didn't know that it came out of the balance only if someone was over 25. Shouldn't the staff know their own rules? So we got there early and were told to check back around one to see if our room was ready. It still wasn't ready for a couple hours after that and that was fine. Check in wasn't until 4. What got to be the problem was that at 3 they told us they were cleaning it. At 4:30 they were still cleaning it! We thought we were being lied to so we asked if there were any other rooms available that were clean. They told us the one we were waiting on had a queen bed and a pull out couch but they had another one available that had 2 full beds. At this point we were pissed. The room we were waiting on didn't even have two beds! (which we had booked) Later from riding in the slowest elevator of my life we found at least three other people with the same problem. This this hotel thinks that a bed and a sofa bed is the same as booking a room with two BEDS! Once we got to the room we had a to fill out paper work that was similar to what I had to fill out when I moved into my apartment. We had a state the condition of everything in our room, and on the paper it said that if we broke the microwave we would have to pay them $125! Which is ridiculous for a 20 yr old microwave. The room was very small for the close to $1000 we payed for 6 nights. We also had to call the front desk 3 times before someone came up to fix our mini fridge. The tiki bar and the pools with slides were a nice bonus. They have activities going on every night with drink specials and stuff. The place seemed to be over run with children and the pools were always very crowed. There is only one ice maker that works for this huge hotel and most of the time we could only fill half a bucket. It seems like they want you to buy ice from them ($2 a bag) instead of fixing the ones they have through out the hotel. There were things I liked, but it seemed like the brochure and website made it look A LOT better then in real life. Especially the lazy river. It is very small and you do not get tubes like the picture leads you to believe. If the rooms were bigger, cleaner, and nicer I would stay again.

• Liked — The tiki bar, ladies night, welcome night, kareokee
  • Disliked — The tiny old rooms and the ice machine!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
SandpiperBeacon, Manager at The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2016
Hello. We are sorry for such a late response. We are also deeply saddened to see that you did not have a much better experience staying with us. We want to provide all guests with an enjoyable, comfortable, safe and clean stay with excellent customer service. So to see that we fell short of that goal during your stay reflects badly on us. We'd like to sincerely apologize to you, and invite you to stay with us again to see how many changes and improvements we have made in the 8 years since you last visited us. Thank you for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
kentucky
Reviewed 9 August 2008

I booked my stay at Sandpiper Beacon, then read the reviews not the smart thing to do....I was scared to death to go because of all the negativeness. BUT I LOVED IT!!! My whole family did as well. Every night offers activities so it cuts out the hustle and bustle of having to roam around town looking for fun. When you are looking at the website and it says the place has a Tiki Bar, and Kareokee, Dance Floor, and all this stuff that should ring the bell that HEY THEY'RE WILL BE PEOPLE DRINKING THERE......Its not bad at all. This was my first time to ever go to Panama we always went to Myrtle Beach and to be quiet honest I was shocked at how early things quietened down there at night. Its an all night party in MB. There was NO BUGS, the room was very clean, the air conditioner did quit, but we called front desk and in 3 hours they installed us a brand new air conditioner. The hotel is an older one, but is well kept and neat. The office has freebies they give away every day which was very nice too. I loved the place and plan on going back in October.

• Liked — the entertainment
  • Disliked — narrow hallways
2 Thank Cheryl A
rock spring, ga
Reviewed 4 August 2008

I would like any future customers of sandpiper becaon to know that the pictures you see on the internet are different from the actual resort. I booked a three bedroom suite for eight people. When we got there, the first thing I noticed was that the hotel was in the older section of town, and that it looked a little rundown. I thought, this will be o.k. if its clean. I went inside and noticed the garbage cans running over with trash. We were soon taken to our suite. This was a corner room where they put two hotel rooms together. This 3 bedroom suite was actually one full size hotel room on one side, and the other hotel room had a wall down the middle in which a bed could barely fit in one room, and the other room had a pull out couch and a small kitchen. The kitchen had a small frig and stove with rust half way up. These rooms had strong cigerette odors. The staff did come to spray our rooms to try and help the smell since none of us are smokers. We realized this would not work for us, and requested our $500.00 deposit back which had been paid well in advance.
The manager refused to return our money, and we still chose to go elsewhere. I was embarrassed on the inconvience I put my family through by booking a room there. It was a bad start to what turned out to be a great vacation. If your thinking about staying at the Sandpiper Beacon, reconsider and pay $20-$30 dollars more and stay at a good resort.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — It was unclean with cigerette odor.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Hello. We are sorry for such a late response. We are also deeply saddened to see that you did not have a much better experience with us. We want to provide all guests with an enjoyable, comfortable, safe and clean stay with excellent customer service. So to see that we fell short of that goal during your stay reflects badly on us. We'd like to sincerely apologize to you, and invite you to stay with us again to see how many changes and improvements we have made in the 8 years since you last visited us. All photos of the Resort that we use on our website are shot here by our staff, we certainly do not wish to appear to be misleading in our advertising. Thank you for your feedback.
North Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2008

This place is definetly a party place we stayed 4 nights the 25-29 and every night was horrible, fighting, young adults yelling all ours of the night we didn't see roaches in the room but outside yes .The amendities were ok . but rooms were way out of date and to small .To make along story short not a place for a 13,11,or even a 2 year old spend your money some where else!!!!!!!

• Liked — THe out side pools
  • Disliked — can,t name them all
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hello. We are sorry for such a late response. We are also deeply saddened to see that you did not have a much better experience staying with us. We want to provide all guests with an enjoyable, comfortable, safe and clean stay with excellent customer service. So to see that we fell short of that goal during your stay reflects badly on us. We'd like to sincerely apologize to you, and invite you and your family to stay with us again to see how many changes and improvements we have made in the 8 years since you last visited us. Thank you for your feedback.
Rainbow City, AL
Reviewed 31 July 2008

Great Vacation Destination! Me and my husband and our 3 children stayed here for the first time last week and we loved it. The kids are begging to go back. We had a partial view room , which really had a great view. The balcony was nice with a small table and chairs. It was clean , NO BUGS! The kids enjoyed the lazy river and the outdoor pool with the slides and the playground on the beach is great! Nice big decks on the back of the resort with plenty of lounge chairs. Barbeque grills to use and picnic tables , if you want to cook out. So much for the money! Great for a family with kids.

• Liked — The Beach Access and all the activities included free
  • Disliked — The room size
Louisiana
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We had a wonderful time at Sandpiper Beacon. The rooms were clean, housekeeping came everyday and left towels, toliet paper and took out the garbage. No roaches in our room. we stayed on the second floor with a partial view. There is so much there for kids to do, we never had to leave. I didn't see any drunk teenagers, I had ydoung adults with me and they were carded everytime they bought drinks. I would recommend this place for people with children, you never have to leave. The pools were clean, we had tubes for the lazy river, we had a very good experience there and would stay there again.

• Liked — so much for kids to do
  • Disliked — not very modern
mija95
Reviewed 19 July 2008

My family and I have stayed at the Sandpiper Beacon before and have enjoyed ourselves each time.
This time, my husband and I were alone. We asked for a room for 2 and got a room that would literally sleep 8! I guess that's what they had available. The price was great, we were gulf view on the first floor. The room was clean and well kept. The towels were small but edequate in number.
Beds were very comfortable. The kitchenette was clean and well stocked.
The staff were very nice both at the front desk and in the grocery store. The store prices are very high. The Tiki bar staff were great and were conscientous about checking ID.
A girls softball tourney was in town and there were a lot of families around which was fine and in our little area the parents seemed to be keeping a good eye on their children which made me happy. A group of young girls were having a party on the deck outside our room late but once the door was closed we couldn't hear them or their music and they were well supervised.
On the east end of the Motel (by the pool, hot tub and sundeck) there seemed to be some kind of reunion going on so a lot of loud music and one drinking/screaming man and his crowd pretty much ran us away from there and it was still day time.
We noticed a lot of cigarette butts on the beach and I took one beer can out of the water someone had crushed and sank. Also when searching for seashells, I found 2 beer bottle tops (same brand as the can).
*** This was a problem for me ... and not the fault of the Motel or staff. People who bring there kids on vacation (which I have done many times) need to curtail their behavior ... you don't drink on the beach when you should be keeping your family safe or leave your cans and butts around for children to step on ... yours or anyone elses. There are Tiki bars within the Motel to make use of ... keep the liquor there. ***
Overall, it was all good.

• Liked — on the beach, gulf view
  • Disliked — people litering the beach, beer cans in the water
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple