We were really looking forward to our stay at the Sandpiper Beacon, but what a disappointment it was!
First of all, I would like to thank you for only billing me 3 of the minimum 4 days, as my father in law died just a couple of days before our stay at the Sandpiper Beach Resort. This was a real nice gesture from your side.
The check-in procedure was unfriendly and almost rude. We were told to wear these plastic bracelets but it never got clear why we had to wear them (we saw many people walking around on the premises without the bracelet, using the "facilities").
When we got to our room it was a huge disappointment. There was a strange smell in the room, the kitchen was old (stove was from the eighties and dirty, the cupboards were almost falling apart and even though we booked a 6-person room it only had cutlery, plates and cups for 4 persons and there was only place for two on the balcony). Then our eye fell on the most disgusting thing in the room: “The Couch”. The couch had the weirdest spots on it (must have been used for many other purposes then only sitting on it), smelled and looked disgusting. Most likely the couch was really great when it was brand new in the 70’s, but as it was made of same kind of fabric that cannot be cleaned, which made it really disgusting in 2014.
We arrived with two children (4 and 6 year old) in our party and as the Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort does not have the “cheap motel rates”, but ask over 250 USD per night, we had the highest expectations of our stay (especially since the Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort advertises with beautiful pictures on their website as try to be a real family hotel). The kids amused themselves on the beach, until the other guests in the Sandpiper Beach Resort woke up around 13.30. The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort is mostly used by teenagers, who drink tequila in broad daylight, play loud music and misbehave. All of this is fine and I even used to do that myself as well (light years ago…), but then you should not advertise your resort as a family friendly hotel.
We decided to leave the beach for what it was and our kids used “the facilities” (two old pools with some slides). Even though they only used the pool for a maximum of 30 minutes, both my daughters had an eye infection the day after they used the pool.
That is when we decided to leave the Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort after only 2 of the original 4 nights. At check-out, the guy at the reception noticed we were leaving a day early and said he could not refund our money for the 3’th night but could give a “credit” for our next stay. When I kindly refused he was not surprised and did not even ask why we were leaving a day early (they must be used that people leave a night early…).
Overall this hotel is only recommendable to teenagers who want to party and if you are looking for a nice family style vacation, please do not even consider staying at the Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Also known as the "FUN Place!" The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort & Tiki Bar offers year-round fun, activities, and entertainment for all ages. Located directly beachfront on Front Beach Road, the Sandpiper is a family-friendly resort-hotel with planned activities and entertainment, waterslides, multiple indoor/outdoor (seasonally heated) swimming pools, free WiFi, indoor lazy river ride, on-site Deli, Ice Cream Shop, Gift Shop, Restaurant, Arcade and more. Offering 24/7 resort services, including housekeeping, guest services, and maintenance. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sandpiper Beacon Beach Hotel Panama City Beach
- Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort
- Sandpiper Beacon Beach Panama City
- Sandpiper Panama City Beach
- The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort Panama City Beach, Florida