“Clean, Friendly, Fun, Helpful... Wonderful!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I decided to take my wife and kids to the beach for a surprise vacation between Christmas week and New Years. I had read some mixed reviews about the Sandpiper online, and was relieved to see that the negative ones were all much. much older, and the more recent ones [past 12-24 months] are overwhelmingly more positive.

Everyone had a BLAST!
There was LOTS of entertainment and activities for our younger kids [6 and 7] as well as our teenagers [13, 15] - no one complained about being bored, or wanting to leave - we stayed at the resort the entire time! We did christmas themed family crafts, family karaoke, scavenger hunts, bingo games, and the New Years party in the tiki bar on the beach was awesome!

We spent some time talking to different staff who were all friendly and helpful - taking the time to get to know us and make sure we had everything we needed. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone during our entire stay - as someone who works in customer service, it was very pleasant to see people taking pride in their work.

We're already looking at booking a summer vacation - nothing negative to say. Goof fun, good staff, on-site deli food was surprisingly good, thanks to all the staff there for taking care of our kids so well so that we could enjoy our vacation too!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Chicago-family-2011

Reviewed 2 January 2011

Had a wonderful time. Great rooms. Great customer service. Family activity for all. The staff always said hello. Indoor lazy river the kids really enjoyed.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 1 January 2011

I cant say enough good about this place!! We love it! We had a 2 room/1 bath room that overlooked the ocean. BEAUTIFUL VIEW! We shared a room with my parents plus we had a 3 year old. There was enough room for all of us and we didnt feel cramped. The room was very very very clean!!! We liked the flat screens on the walls! The room was very clean and I LOVED the fact that my bed was made up EVERYDAY!!!! :) We loved that all of the pools were heated. The playground area was awesome!! I guess our favorite place was the Tiki Bar!!! During the day, there were activities for children to do and at night there was karoke and a DJ! So much fun!! Ample parking, laundry, game room, grocery store, gift shop, deli overlooking the water!! What more could you ask for?!?!?
I do have some "cons." Not everything can be perfect. My least favorite is the 9AM check out. That sucks! We were on the 2nd floor and I wouldve liked to had a table on our porch. I didnt like that the 2nd bedroom didnt have its own Heat/AC. At night, the room with the heat was scorching and the 2nd room was so cold you could see your breath.
All in all, this is one of the best hotels weve ever stayed at and we will stay again!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2010

Recently stayed at the Sandpiper Beacon over Thanksgiving. We had a party of 7-- ages 45 to 5 months. Everybody had a great time. I have stayed here for the past 10 years or longer but this was the best trip so far. There have been many updates at the resort. They have many more activities for the young children such as scavenger hunts, glitter tattoos, face painting, water slides and mini golf. For the older children--and children of all ages JP still has his sailboats to rent for a beautiful and relaxing sail in the beautiful water. The Tiki Bar is as awesome as usual for a little bit of karaoke and a Freaki Tiki punch or other adult beverage served with a smile by either Angie, Andy or Keith! they have done many improvements to the Tiki Bar also with better sounding equipment, large screen TV and some sort of trivia game you are able to play while at the Tiki Bar. The resort staff are all very helpful-Cody is always happy to assist you in any way he can while a guest at the resort and be sure you arrive to your room safely if help is needed. The pool with the crazy slide was warm as bath water as well as the lazy river ride indoors. The entire trip was great--we stayed in room 110 which was big enough for everybody to have thier own space and privacy plus walk right out on the patio and beach. This is the BEST PLACE TO STAY IN PANAMA CITY BEACH:) Hope you enjoy your stay!!

1  Thank melaniehamlin
Reviewed 30 November 2010

My husband and I stayed over Thanksgiving with my mom and our 5 kids, ages 9 (twins), 5, 4 and 3; and there was something for all of us to do. The itenerary was awesome, because it was filled with things to do all throughout the day and things that we could all do together, from painting, to a scavenger hunt, beach bingo. But also with the activities they had planned, the beach playground is spectacular, different inflatable waterslides every day, the mini putt-putt course and all of the outside pools are heated so we were able to swim from morning to night. We will definitely be going back next year for Thanksgiving and hopefully even squeeze in a summer trip.

1  Thank amymomof3
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We went down there this past October , stayed there 4days and 3 nights. Even this time of the year you still can jump into the pools, hit the beach like my kids did, and still get some sun. This place is for all ages , from spring breakers, honeymooner's, family and even the older folks , lol. When visiting the Sandpiper , you don't have to leave they have everything on site. From mini- golf for all ages , pools , pools. water slides , lazy river, 360 pool, store that carries everything from food to baby needs. Oh can't leave out game room for all ages and there's even a laundry room . Just take a look at my recent photo's from there. You will truly see that the Sandpiper Beacon Resort is the BEST Place in Panama City Beach , Fla

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Ok, where do i begin? first a quick disclaimer that I am certainly not a very picky person and not too hard to please. I've worked hard to get to where I am to enjoy nice things and nice places, but also open to adventure and trying something different. I believe that any trip is what you make it but this is certainly one trip i wish i would have made elsewhere! I'm mad just thinking about where else i could have went for my money!

I chose to give this 'resort' a shot only b/c of the amenities that it boasted despite some of the negative comments i had read. i always like to form my own opinion so i had to see for myself. to all the folks who gave it a great review, maybe it was because it was spring/summer months when it was warmer and more enjoyable, or if you enjoy getting pissy drunk and swimming in 50 degree weather than that's ok too. To each his own!

For me and my family it was not as enjoyable. My boys did get the chance to briefly enjoy the blown up water slide before the temperature dipped back down into the 50's for the rest of the weekend. I live in florida so i know how funny the weather can be around this time of year; not the motels (yes, i said MOTEL) fault at all, but at least they could advertise what they actually have, i.e. they do NOT have a completely enclosed pool as stated in ther description. Imagine the room as if it was a box - the bottom half is 'enclosed' with plastic sheeting and only 1 side of it that is facing the street is actually glass enclosed; the rest of it is OPEN to the cold air! Not so fun to be in a heated pool if you have to dart thru 50 degrees to get back to your room!

Speaking of the room: it happened to be the best part of the stay. we stayed in a 2 bdrm suite that had views of the front of the property (facing street) and from the back there was a view of the pool and beach. the room was clean, neat, and tidy, although a tad on the smaller side but it still worked. there are NO closets, and the heat/ac worked well. Beware: unless you enjoy paying .50 per call for local calls, then i suggest you use your cell phone instead. Free usage of the in-room safe? think again! It will cost you a $10 deposit PLUS a $1 pr/day charge to use it. We locked our stuff up in our vehicle trunk when we got ready to do anything. Also, NO alarm clocks in the rooms (i had to use my cell to keep up with the time), and get this: check out is at 9am!!! WTH? I was beginning to think that maybe they purposely didnt put alarm clocks in the rooms in hope that someone will oversleep and have to pay for another day by default?! They also didnt tell us when check out was, as I read it on my own on the back of the front door!!!! They are certainly not so bogged down with business that they need to set a time so early for people to be out. Good grief!

Amenities: Already mentioned the 'indoor' pools, but as far as everything else: they had very small mini golf course that kids seemed to enjoy, althought they have it dead smack in the middle of guest rooms, so i felt bad for those who had to suffer through the noise it caused. They do have a nice playground for the kids, and as far as the tiki bar i really didnt get much use out of it. i went there 1 night with my kids to get free popcorn and a balloon animal but other than that i didnt patron it. The 'grocery' store is a mere replica of a very small, price inflated gas station store. If a real grocery store is what you want, then go down the street just 2 minutes away to the Winn Dixie.

Staff/Guests: I have traveled to numerous places around the world and thru the US and have never felt so out of place. I kept on a happy face for my children's sake, but the minute i pulled up to the place and walked in the lobby i was ready to go elsewhere. I didnt feel any warmth from the staff at all (with the exception of the lady who checked me in). Many guests looked at us as if to ask what were we doing there? (we seemed to be the only ethnic family there, so i guess that was the issue???) i didnt know we were in the 50's again!? GEESH! ignorance still rampant in 2010..... Needless to say it felt uncomfortable and uninviting. Guests beliefs and attitudes can't be controlled, but at least the staff could pretend to be happy and welcoming.

In all honesty and just like another lady mentioned in a prior review of this place: it is a MOTEL souped up to resemble a 'resort'. Being openminded and wanting to try something different is what led me to it for a quick weekend getaway, but i'll stick to my 4+star resorts from this point forward, as i hadn't been to a motel since i was in college! LMBO!!! This is perfect for spring breakers! Again, this is my opinion based on my experience and I pray that whoever reads this does the same. Happy traveling :)

2  Thank nitadj33
SandpiperBeacon, Manager at The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

We apologize for such a late response to your feedback. 6 years have now passed since you visited us, and we have been continually making changes and improvements since then. We are deeply sorry that you didn't enjoy your last stay more. We'd like to invite you to visit us again. We're confident that you'll be pleasantly surprised. Thank you for your feedback, it helped us improve.