“Management problems but beautiful resort”

Boardwalk Beach Resort Condominiums
Reviewed 1 April 2008

My family stayed at the Boardwalk Beach Resort from March 22nd through March 28th. It is a beautiful resort - very clean and the condo was exceptional. The staff at the desk, housekeeping, pool and bar were wonderful. The only problem we had was this: Check in time is listed as 4pm and our room wasn't ready until 630pm (we had been waiting since 2pm to check in). I called the manager and she told me our room would be ready "sometime before midnight" and that the 4pm check in time really means "that is when check in time begins" and not when we should be expect to be in our room. I had to speak too two other managers before they allowed us to check in by 630pm. We also met up with 5 other groups that were waiting to get into thier rooms. Everyone was very upset. One unfortunate girl (a spring breaker) I found crying outside the condo because her group couldn't check in yet and it was 8pm - they had been waiting since 4pm. The girl was told she would have her room "by midnight." I've never seen anything like this. I asked the manager that since we couldn't check in until 2 and 1/2 hours after check in time (4pm) can we stay after the 10am check out time. The manager told me; "No..if you stay beyond the 10am check out time you will be charged extra."

Stayed: March 2008

Reviewed 28 January 2008

I just loved this place. My friends and I stayed for spring break and it was right by all the beach activities. Club La Vela and Spinnacker was right next door and we walked there every night. There is a bar right by the pool and cheap food and drinks too!! The rooms were so nice and the staff was really friendly. I would definately recommend this hotel for anyone.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank kentuckygirl01
Reviewed 18 December 2007

After reading several horrible reviews about the resorts on Panama City Beach, My new husband and I decided to spend our honeymoon at The Boardwalk Central, which after what we've read got the least amount of criticism. We stayed in the Condo on the 17th floor which was very high but from what we got to see outside are balcony was the best view. The ocean view was BEAUTIFUL! The colors you see in the pictures on the website are exactly what you see in reality. We noticed that a lot of people were writing in about the check in and how rude their employees were. We had a good experience and we were even able to check in early. I'm guessing as long as your condo is ready they really don't have a problem. Parking was GREAT! We always had a close parking spot and even on the day it rained really hard, we were able to park in the parking garage, that was really nice. They have 6 quick elevators, and the two outside elevators were pretty neat to go in to because they had a HUGE window and as your going up, you see everything outside and how high up you are. The condo room was really nothing to brag about. The bed was a king which was nice, the bathroom was nice and spacious, tub was huge but if you like taking really hot baths like I do, I wouldn't recommend it. By the time you filled the bathtub up, the water had turned cold so it wasn't exactly relaxing to me. We had a very small kitchenette which was just enough for us but not recommended for more then 2 people. We did have a not so good experience there I believe on the 2nd day. Because actually own some of the Condos, the people who live in them I'm guessing are allowed to have pets. The room next door had a tiny dog who would NOT stop barking. It went on for about 6 hours straight so finally my husband and I had to call the front desk and be put into a different room. It was a huge pain because after your there for a couple of days, your stuffs kind of all over the place. We got moved to the 12th floor, nothing different, same kind of room, just different decor. There were somethings I didn't care for at this resort. Everytime we went out to the pool, they had one of the hot tubs blocked off in yellow tape, Im guessing to clean them out but that happend a lot. They were also doing construction by the pool so it was pretty loud when your trying to relax. They talk a lot on their website about there being an arcade, a fitness room and a recreational room. The arcade was very small and kind of generic. They didn't have enough in there to announce that on their website so if you have kids who are siked about that, don't let them get their hopes up. The recreational room was closed a lot but after finally being able to go in there, we find out that you can't get on certain websites (like MySpace) to check mail or to view other sites. That was a bummer. We did however get to cruise Panama City Beach to find certain activities to do. We did a lot but what stood out most in my mind was driving the little red car around the neighborhoods. There are minicar and scooter rentals all over around Boardwalk. Just a little advice if you rent those... Don't stay on the busy streets, that car doesn't go anymore then 20 mph. You also want to make sure you bring lots of money because EVERYTHING out there is so pricey. They have parasailing on site, that was neat. It's expensive but if you've never done it you should try it out.

One final note: Quite a few of the reviews on here that are bad are from people who stayed in the Hotel, not the Condo. They are 2 seperate buildings on the same property, and this site has listings for both the condo and the hotel. But people get confused and complain about the hotel on the Condo page. So just double check when you check out the reviews.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Rick081677
Reviewed 9 November 2007

First of all, the registration desk was nowhere near the condos. I had arrived by taxi and had a ton of Ironman gear that I had to get down a long driveway, through a construction zone and back up another long driveway. It took close to an hour to get checked in at the front desk there was such a line. The condo I was in was cheaply furnished and poorly designed. The whole place is charmless and impersonal. I made reservations elsewhere for next year and have advised my friends to do the same.
It would be a nice place if you have kids that can have fun playing on the beach all day, as the beach is very nice. Overall I thought PCB was sterile and uninteresting, and this complex was the worst.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank NewMexic0
Reviewed 25 September 2007

recently stayed at the Boardwalk this past week end, and want to convey how appalled we were with the management team and general customer service. In all my years of traveling I have never felt the need to express my horror at the asst mgr Cindy's customer service. She was rude and generally did not care about our concerns. In fact she told us she did not have time for this. The only staff member we came across during our whole time there that was hospitable was the lady who mopped the lobby floor.

The resort closed on friday due to a 20mph rain storm and in fact it appeared as if most of the employees left for the day prior to noon. I can only imagine if I was a homeowner how upset I would have been if this was an investment property.

I will never stay at an RAH property again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank rjcro
Reviewed 24 August 2007

The Boardwalk was everything we expected and soooo much more. We planned to totally endulge ourselves in luxury and thats exactly what we did. From enjoying our morning coffee on the balcony overlooking the beach, to the walk-in pool ( no steps), to watching the sunset, it was great. The Boardwalk even set up a movie on the beach for anyone who wished to participate on Wednesday evening. I couldn't have asked for a nicer, cleaner establishment. Staff was very friendly, and helpful, the condo was well equipted and very nice. The pool was absoutely beautiful and there was even a water park type area for the little ones. The beach area was just gorgeous with many things to do within walking distance.
The only short coming was the housekeeping staff. There seemed to be an over-abundance of employees in the housekeeping area that really were not interested in working. We had to call EVERY day to get the proper amount of towels. I don't think asking for 1 towel and 1 washcloth per person is unreasonable. Some things are just expected, like making the bed, sweeping the floor, wiping out the sink and tub, emptying the waste baskets. If you weren't specific about what you wanted, they would just take the towels and leave and do NOTHING else.
Management, please check on your housekeeping staff. I'm sure you would like to be paying people for actually working.
All in all, I would not let this stop me from staying at this establishment again. We had a great time and I would definately go back.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank girlz_on_the_go
Reviewed 7 August 2007

My husband & I just returned from a week's stay at the Boardwalk Beach Resort Condos in Panama City Beach, FL. I must say I was wa little scared after reading some of the reviews about the place..But it was really that nice. Some things I feel travelers need to know are; 1) you need to check in/check out at a different building, which wasn't a big deal, but if you would have known it would have been one less stop. The building is located aside of the condo building. 2) There is no ice machine located in the building (none that we could find). We did ask and was told there was one 2 buildings down. 3) If you flew there (like we did) and thus did not have beach chairs or a beach umbrella, you can rent them on the beach, but they are very expensive. We went to Walmart and purchased inexpensive chairs and an umbrella and left them in our condo, hoping someone else could use them. 4) They are a little strict with pool rules, no throwing balls and they check to see if you're wearing your bracelet that tells them you are staying at the condos. We didn't have a problem with this but some people did.
Overall the place was very clean and Panama City Beach was very nice..Not too commercialized which was fine by us....