“Wish I would have booked somewhere else”

Splash! in Panama City Beach
Panama
“Wish I would have booked somewhere else”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The only thing good about this condo is it's right on the beach! We did not have a good experience here. We were told we could check in at 3:00pm which was when we got there then we were told we could not check in until 6 so we had to go find somthin to do until we could check in. Got to the room and the fridge didn't work- NOTE- it didn't work the whole time we were there! We had to go buy an ice chest and ice everyday! There service is horible! They don't even give you enough toilet paper! No trash bags in room or dust pan to sweep with! The splash pad is cold for kids because the sun doesn't shine on it! Also the carpet in our room was filthy!! We asked to be moved and when they they finally got it situated it was a day before we were gonna be leaving so we just ended up gettin some* money back! Over all I will NEVER stay there again or recommend anyone else to stay there either!

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank karlee22

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Kids loved it! We have stayed here a few years ago. Only thing...should have put a different tile on floors. Very slick when wet. Prices a little high at tiki bar, but margarita was great! Will come again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Imperial, Missouri
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I've stayed at several different resorts in Panama City Beach and this is the first time that I had a bad experience with a resort. We chose Splash because we thought it would be really great for our grandkids. However, the pools are very small and covered so they are cold and very crowded. And they will just close the pool and keep it closed all day. But what really made me uncomfortable about the place was how unfriendly all of the staff is there. The security guard that works the day shift is a complete jerk. I felt very uncomfortable with all of the camera's spying on you. There are camera's everywhere and I felt invaded everywhere I went, especially because the security guard walked around all day like he was some sort of Hitler - he was rude and creepy. We had a 3 Bedroom/3 Bath condo and when we got there, only one bathroom had toilet paper. We had to immediately go to the store. There were no extra trashbags, no dishsoap and 2 TV's didn't work. I have stayed at Edgewater, Calypso, and Aqua and they are all hands down better than Splash. I would never go there again and would highly recommend everyone to look elsewhere. I am usually easy to please and have never left a bad review before, but I had to take the time out to share our experience at Splash - extremely disappointed to say the least.

5 Thank Kara070408
Gainesville
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We love that it's family oriented and the security/rules help make it more enjoyable. It's up-to-date and close to the beach. The lifeguard accessibility is super!!! The room was neat and had all needed.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Taradmille
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I'm not an overly picky person. I just want what I pay for. That didn't happen at SPLASH.

We usually go to Fort Walton and have a great time, but this year thought we would try a new place. I like PCB, but would never stay at SPLASH again. It was affordable, but not very warm and inviting.

The lazy river is in fact, extremely lazy. The lazy river is a couch potato. My nephew needed a paddle to make his way around the tiny circle that looks much bigger in the pictures. For the number of people in the two buildings the pools are way too small, and there are never enough chairs. Their advertising shows a mini-bowling alley. Nope. The arcade games are mostly for older kids. Most of the kids in this place are the under-10 set.

The buildings aren't very old, but seem a little run down already. We stayed in 1406e, and the condo itself was decent, and would have been just right if: the trundle bed for the youngest was actually usable. It couldn't be pulled out from under the other bed. Thank God we brought a blow up bed. The fridge didn't cool as much as a fridge should, (I know how cold beer should be in a fridge, and it was never frosty cold. Sort of cold. The AC never cooled the master bedroom. We called maintenance a couple of times, but no one showed up. Ever. One of the reasons to get a condo is to be able to cook. The kitchen wasn't very well stocked with the things one needs to cook: decent pots and pans, tongs for grilling, colander, etc. We made do with what was there. Used a bath towel to get things out of the over since there were no pot holders.

The biggest red flag was this: the management seems less than interested in keeping things neat and tidy and enjoyable, but they are VERY INTERESTED in people following rules. Security people troll the property day and night looking for scofflaws and n'er-do-wells. They smell an infraction from a hundred yards away and then pounce. I watched one woman throw a two-year-old and her mother out of the hot tub. The woman walked up, and asked the kid, "Sweetie, how old are you?" The kid says, "I'm this many," as she held up two fingers. The lady actually yells, "Out of the hot tub! You have to be three to be in the hot tub!!" Really? Yelling at the two-year-old? The male security guard acts like he's watching over a maximum security prison, and not a family beach resort. There are more civilized ways to remind people of the rules, in my opinion. Zero tolerance. One strike and you're out!

I was ready to leave on Friday, but we decided to stay the entire week. Make sure you get your luggage cart very early in the morning, or you won't get one. It's complete madness by mid-morning on Saturdays.

Will try PCB again because there are lots of fun family things to do, but we won't stay at SPLASH. Instead of SPLASH, maybe it should be named DRIBBLE.

4 Thank conkatkee
Olive Branch, Mississippi
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Splash is a LARGE condominium and with any place or business this big there are bound to be issues. With that said, we lucked out. Our condo was excellent, nothing broken (except a DVD player in the master bedroom) and everything worked well. It’s the perfect place for school aged kids. It’s away from the hustle and bustle of the main strip and from rowdy teenagers. For as large as the place is, it is very well kept and clean, even with kids running around everywhere. Overall, the staff is very friendly.

My recommendations:

• Please take care of a place like it is your own so that others will enjoy it in the future. So many people treat it like a rental property and trash it while they are there. “Well, it’s not mine.” This is usually why the next person has a broken air conditioner or refrigerator or some other problem.

• Don’t check in on a weekend! The complaints about the elevators probably came during those days. Most other times are fine.

• Best times around pools are in the early morning and late evening.

• Bring your own drinks to the pool. The bar is way overpriced!

• Try to speak with the actual owner of the condo beforehand and ask plenty of questions.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank TravelingwithSavage
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This was my family's first trip to Panama City Beach. We usually go to Fort Walton and stay at Destin West Resort. It has an Olympic size pool and a full size lazy river that wraps around the back side of the property, among other amenities. We wanted to do something different this year and had heard about PCB being a lot of fun. I looked at different properties and based on the pictures of Splash, I thought it would be comparable to Destin West...a couple of pools, a lazy river, an indoor water park...it seemed perfect for my kids. Boy, was I wrong. When we arrived, my kids wanted to go see the pools and lazy river first. My 9 year old saw it and asked "Where's the rest of it?". It is literally a very small circle about 40 feet long and about 20 feet wide. It has little to no current and if more than a few kids are in it, it creates a complete bottleneck. Do not believe the pictures. This is no lazy river. The pools are also a joke. Two very small pools. My kids actually like to swim in pools, jump in, dive for toys, have fun. That did not happen here. Both pools were always full with people, packed in like sardines. There was no room to swim at all, definitely no jumping or playing. The deepest part was only 5 ft anyway. As for the indoor "water park"...it was a large bucket that tipped over every few minutes to dump water on the kids along with small slides on each end. It's ok for very small kids. My 9 year old enjoyed it some but my 14 and 16 year olds thought it was lame. If you have very young kids...8 and under...and you don't mind large crowds all the time, this might be ok. But not for older kids definitely.
The security staff here is awful. The most uptight group of people I've ever seen at a resort. I sat and watched one lady scream at various children at the pool area for the slightest infraction. Everything has a rule and they are going to be sure none will be broken. I understand there has to be rules but I think they take it way too far. People are here for vacation. Not to serve a prison sentence.
Our condo itself was fine. Except for the trundle bed which was broken and unusable, everything was as advertised. AC worked fine for us. No complaints about the unit.
The location of the resort was also an issue for us. It is a couple of miles down the beach from the main area, Pier Park. There was nothing within walking distance. Everything we did we had to get in the car and fight the traffic on Front Beach Road. So if you want to be near all the fun things to do and see, then don't stay here.
As I said, this was our first trip to PCB. Because the resort was so awful, we went out every day and found things to do. And there are plenty of fun things to do in PCB. Wonderworks, Ripleys, the zoo, the Man in the Sea museum, Race City, parasailing, the Pirate Cruise, the alligator park, the list goes on and on. There were so many things to do that we ran out of time to do them all.
That brings me to my final comments. We had an absolute blast in PCB. We want to come back next year and do the things we didn't get to do on this trip as well as some of the things we did do. But we absolutely will not stay at Splash again. It is not for families with older children or families that don't want to be packed in like sardines or screamed at by security staff.

3 Thank K G