“Awesome Example of A Thriving Family Operated Business in Today's Economy!”

Palmetto Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Awesome Example of A Thriving Family Operated Business in Today's Economy!”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

There are just not enough GOOD things I can say about this hotel....First of all, the entire hotel is Spotlessly CLEAN, which is of most importance when traveling with a toddler! I read alot of the reviews on the Palmetto prior to my stay, and let me say that all of the positive reviews are TRUE and anyone that is not happy with their stay here is just one of those people who can't be pleased.....Every morning, the pools, hot tub, and entire pool deck were cleaned, we saw this first hand from our ocean front balcony....A family friendly atmosphere that is big enough, but not too big for those with small children in your party. Easy to keep an eye on the kids and enjoy yourself too. Awesome, large, heated pool right on the beach! We had a deluxe queen suite with a full kitchen, complete with utensils, plates, etc., two flat screen tv's, and were ocean side. Cleaning service had been in our room everyday by the time we returned back from the beach/pool for lunch. I do believe however, if you want your bed linens changed that you may need to specially request this on longer stays, but I am definite the request would be welcomed. Our sheets were not changed during the course of a 4 night stay, but I didn't ask for this. One day, the cleaning lady was wiping down the exterior of the front doors! There is a snack bar complete with a snow cone option that my daughter absolutely loved and once she got the first one, it became a daily request of hers. There is an adequate gift shop down in the lobby area, and free daily newspapers as well. There are two large covered pavillion areas, one of each end of the pool deck with gas grills for those grill masters who like to cook. Great views of the ocean, clean hotel, and FAIR prices to boot! There are many options for all at the Palmetto. Across the street from the beachside is the motel side, with an indoor pool area, and cheaper rates if you don't mind walking two seconds across the street to the beachside. The only downside to this place is there is really not adequate parking on the beachside hotel, so you will probably have to park on the motel side. But, you may luck up and get a parking spot beachside. There is security at the hotel, so no big issue. I always felt safe while there. Convenient to many area attractions and restaurants. SOME of the front desk staff were friendlier than others, but that is everywhere. The owner was very pleasant, and she spoke to us daily when at the pool, or passing through the lobby and always called my daughter by name. I plan to stay here again, even though I have access to stay at one of the Finest Resorts in the area through a family member for free. Once again, if visiting Panama City, you really owe it to yourself to try the Palmetto Inn and Suites. Oh, and for the reviewer who didn't like the fact that no pets are allowed at this hotel, but the owners dog is always there....ONE CAN MAKE THEIR OWN RULES WHEN THEY ARE THE OWNER....and I'm a dog owner, this didn't bother me, I just made arrangements for my dog. This was a stressful time, as my trip was originally scheduled to Disney world for me, my husband and my 3 year old daughter...needless to say, it ended up being me and my daughter alone in Panama City at the Palmetto and I can't think of a better place for a mother and daughter to relax, bond and just enjoy one another's company in a safe and fun environment. Nor can I think of a better place to be while divorce papers are in the process! Thank you Palmetto...Honestly, it seems as though you come as a guest, but feel like family upon leaving. One final note....many of the guests I spoke with have been returning here to this hotel for over 10 years so alot of REPEAT business!

Room Tip: Many room types here, so know what you are getting....an option for all budgets, families.....
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kgray30265

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Louisiana
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We were not planning on staying the night in PCB, but after our flight home was canceled, the airport gave us the phone # to Palmetto Inn. Not expecting much, we were so pleasantly surprised to find that the staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating (we were a bit grumpy b/c our flight was canceled) so that instantly improved our moods. The staff worked ALL NIGHT to make sure that all of the guests who were there on a canceled flight got to the airport in time for the 6am re-schedule. The room was adorable, and exceptionally clean. We checked in just as the sun was setting, and what a beautiful view we had! The hotel sits on one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. There is a big pool, two patio's with chairs and grills, and lounge chairs set up on the beach. The grills were a nice touch. Makes you feel at home :)
We learned the next morning (on our 3:45 shuttle ride to the airport) that Palmetto Inn is family owned and operated. They do business right. We never would have thought to stay in PCB, or even a lesser known hotel, but we couldn't have had a better experience. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Stay in the beachfront building, the view was amazing!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Niki S
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed there for 2 1/2 weeks in August from the 14th-31st. I have stayed in Panama City many times and this by far is the best place to stay. We were going to stay from the 16th-31st, but decided to arrive two days early to stay at another hotel, but could not wait to get to the beach. We called and they said they'd have our room ready in 20 minutes and to come on down!

I will start with Patty. She made the experiance from booking to leaving a 100% pleasure. She even invited us for a sailboat ride, which I wish we had taken up on that. This was the first time staying here (won't be the last) and we booked it based upon the number one reviews. The staff is awesome and friendly, no matter time of day. Every morning from our balcony, we watched them clean the pools, feed the wild cats outside, and clean even the chairs. Room service was great and clean. Now onto the review.
We had a 3rd floor room and I cannot stress how that was ideal. The game room is located on that floor and made passing some time, well fun. I think we went through $50 in quarters in that time, maybe more. The staff at the desk had no problem getting us rolls. The view is awesome as we were on the beach side. Every morning and night, we'd see the dolpins swimming close to the beach and the sunset was amazing. We had the two queen beds, which I explained to my girlfriend was ideal before I booked it. She found out why, after the bad sunburn we got in the first week, plenty of room for both of us :) No, this is not a high end hotel, but the full blown kitchen was good enough for us. The balcony had two seats on it and was perfect for watching whatever. The elevators are very fast as well.

Now to the outside. The grills were nice and we grilled out once. The only issue there is the igniters did not work, so carry your own lighter. Maybe the sea salt corroded them, not sure. Plenty of space under the shelters where the grills are on both sides of the pool. The pool was nice, 7-8 feet deep at the one end and hot tub, was well a hot tub. The landscaping was very nicely done and even have lizards outside under the shelters. The pool was clean and a break from the ocean for my Gf as she was not too keen on the critters in the ocean, but got her to her waist a few times in the 2 1/2 weeks :) They have an ice machine outside and we even used the laundry mat while we were there. The grocery store like everyone said it basically across the street. On the North side, across the street is the indoor pool and came in very handy after the sunburns for, well, staying out of the sun.

We opted a few times to rent the chairs/umbrellas on the beach as carrying my beer in a cooler was hard enough on the sand :) You get the double chair/umbrella for 2 for like $20 bucks a day. I saw people complaining about this, but you are on vacation and if you came expecting to not have some extras, then complain. Also, the people complaing about the beds having plastic under the covers, grow up as I would not have known that. Very easy to sleep on them and they don't "squeak" as others have said. Some people are born complainers it seems. Stay at the Sandpiper and then we will talk about complaining as this is night and day to the other place next door. This is the ONLY place I will ever stay again on the beach and you can tell they take pride in it.

Thanks Patty for a great time and a clean hotel. I proposed to my now Fiance in your hotel room on the balcony watching Sunset on the last night there. It is forever locked in my mind and I still feel like I am there and miss it. I'll see you again next year as you have made a lifelong customer and I'll take you up on that sailboat trip.
You cannot make a bad choice in selecting this hotel or as we now call it, Our home away from home. Peace!
Thank you, Scott and Ashli!

Room Tip: Beach side and like I mentioned, the 3rd floor if you can, great view and same floor as Arcade and W...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Buminbeer2
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I was visiting the area on the weekend of 9/11 and on 9/11 my flight was cancelled and I could not fly out until the next day. I called the Palmetto needing a place to stay. Not only were their rates very reasonable, they were super easy to work with, very friendly in a stressful time (not only for me but for their staff as well as I think half my flight ended up there) and were very efficient. They set up at least 2 shuttles to the airport starting at 3:45 in the morning and they set up wake up calls for us and also called the night before to make sure we were aware of our shuttle times. This is a family owned and run business and everyone chipped in. The property is broken into two parts; beach front and another building across the street that is not beach front. The beach front property has an outdoor pool and kiddie pool and a deck area for grilling (grills provided). They have showers at the beach's edge and easy beach access. The property across the street also has grills for grilling and has a heated indoor pool and kiddie pool. The room I had was spacious and had a fridge and microwave and a small dining area with table, a shower/tub combo and separate sink area. The room was clean, but most importantly, the service was outstanding and they took amazing care of all of us in a very stressful time (not only cancelled flights and changes of plans, but a few little 9/11 mishaps around the country that made travel that day a little stressful already). One lady (I believe her name was Peggy) was up until at least 10pm helping guest, confirming shuttle details and calling guests and was also there at 3:30am with a checklist of guests making sure that everyone was up and on the shuttle in time. What troopers these people were. Thank you for taking such good care of us. You have won me over. We have family about an hour outside of Panama City and when we are in the area visiting, we will always stay here if they have availability! Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Shanon B
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We booked this hotel at the last minute after the place we were orginally going to did not work out. This is the best place. Very clean! We stayed beachfront, such a beautiful view.The room is very spacious-for 3 adults, 2 kids perfect (had 2 tv's.) Awesome beach access and we enjoyed the outdoor pool. The lobby had decent free coffee and vending machines (awesome for late night snacks). Also, the lobby had a little shop to buy beach supplies if you forgot something. Can walk to Winn-Dixie-about 2-3min. Will definately stay again!

Room Tip: We stayed on 7th floor, awesome breeze, beautiful view.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LadyDiATL
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We decided to go to Panama City Beach, FL after a 4 roadtrip visiting family. This was the perfect end to our vacation. Okay so after being excited about seeing the blue water we decided to stop at the Palmetto Inn to see if we could get a room. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to get a room however there was a 3 day minimum stay. The front desk clerk checked me in quickly. There were no more rooms available on the beach side and so she offered us a room across the street. The room had a refrigerator, stove and sink and also two full-size beds. The tv was not a flat screen but it was okay for the gamer in my family. We were close to the grocery store and right next door to a scooter rental place. Miracle Strip was not very far and me and my honey enjoyed the nightlife. Because this was a short notice trip, this hotel served our needs very well with our teenagers because we had NO knowledge of ANYTHING about accomodations in Panama City Beach. If we had to do it again, we would stay here. Kudos to this hotel for having rooms available.

Room Tip: This hotel has units across the street that are not on Front Beach Road however, the beach is just r...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank loveHR
Florida Keys, Florida
Reviewed 13 September 2011

After reading all the reviews, we decided to stay here for a quick weekend getaway for my wife's birthday.
Even though it was just my wife and I, you can tell it is very family friendly. But if you want to go just as a couple, just the same. There were kids around, but somehow, it was still very quiet. After staying in different types of hotels and resorts before, this one just 'felt' different. The atmosphere made us feel like distant relatives, not just another guest.
The rooms were nothing fancy. No pillow menu, no exotic linens, just a nice clean room. If you are expecting something like a Marriott based on a majority '5 star review' and it ranking '#1' place to stay, you will be disappointed. We however were not. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. We met people that have been returning back to this hotel for over 30 years (longer than my wife and I have been alive) and I can see why. I think those that posted a negative review, might have been expecting a '5 star hotel', remember the reviews are how much you liked the place, not how it ranks in style or how fancy.

I think here are some areas of curiosity that I had when booking that hopefully might answer someone else's questions.
There are two parts to the hotel. One across the road from the beach, and the tower on the beach. We stayed on the beach side. Our room was on the 3rd floor and the view was great. Our room didn't have a blender and when I called the front desk, they told me that the blenders come standard in a different category room, but they would bring me one anyways. (I think the hotel staff would go out of their way to accommodate your requests, just talk to them. They are really friendly) Our room did not have in room wifi, but we were able to hook into the ethernet cable and get online. Wifi worked at the pool no problem (used on phone to stream internet radio).
There is a grocery store close by and well within walking distance.
Parking wasn't an issue for us, and the one time we had to park across the road wasn't a big deal as others had stated before (maybe we are too laid back and easy going?)
Location is good. Close short drive to 'everything' but yet just far enough away for it to be a quieter beach and not as busy main road if you want to walk. The stocked kitchen had everything we needed when we brought groceries to cook while we stayed. The grills on the deck near the pool are first come first serve, and didn't have an issue getting to use them. Go to the front desk to get the lighter.

I would stay here again, and not think twice. No it isn't a Hilton, but a very nice, humble, friendly, clean hotel. I can see why people stay here over and over and generation after generation.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple