“I have one word......”

Beachcomber By The Sea
Ranked #9 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
“I have one word......”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

ROACHES.... We have always stayed at the BEACHCOMER... But, we checked in at night, opened the door, THE ROACHES SCATTERED !! They were even on the bed !!
The management on duty didn't really seem to be alarmed by the incident and they at least gave me back our money and we went elsewhere that night.
I'm sure the response by the manager will be they have taken care of the problem since after all, it was last summer... But I seriously doubt it, not when you have as many roaches roaches we viewed that night... Good luck, and I do hope they get this issue sorted out at some point in time...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tomwilliams55
DianaBTSR, Director of Sales at Beachcomber By The Sea, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am very sorry to hear that you had such an experience at our property. This is very surprising as we do have our rooms professionally serviced for pests on a monthly basis. However, I appreciate you letting us know this.

I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance in the future, as what you experienced is certainly not the norm. Service and cleanliness are usually two of our strongest assets! Please give us the opportunity to make it right on another vacation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

The rooms were average and appeared as pictured. There were some dents and scratches but no safety or cleanliness issues that some febreeze could fix. The free breakfast was mostly pastries and juice. This hotel is walking distance to Pier Park. Outside noise was easily heard, so be warned when visiting during holiday or special event times.
I was very disappointed with my recent stay at the Beachcomber by The Sea. First, because of their false advertising. Second, because of their lack of concern for guests' requests. I selected this hotel for 1 reason only: the heated pool. I even called the hotel and confirmed the presence of the heated pool before making my reservation.
I was VERY disappointed when I arrived and discovered that the pool was FREEZING and was not heated. When I and many other guests requested that the pool heater be turned on so that children could swim (since the ocean was still freezing in early April), we were told that the pool is only heated during certain months of the year. No one told me that when I called to book the room and the website does not indicate that the heated pool is only "seasonal".
Regardless of their policy, when multiple guests report the same problem some type of accommodation is usually offered. I didn't want a refund, I simply wanted for them to turn the heater on and they refused. The hotel has a hot tub, but I did not want my children around the smoking, drinking and twerking college students on spring break.
The Beachcomber did not care that families had come to swim for spring break, but could not due to their refusal to turn the advertised pool heater on. This lack of concern makes me not able to return. I would not recommend this hotel during any off season when the ocean is cold.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank kap1998
Brian G, Front Office Manager at Beachcomber By The Sea, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
I write to you with my hat in hand and offer my sincere apologies for the problems you had with the pool during your stay. I also would like to apologize that our staff did not seem to convey the type of concern that should have been offered for such a great problem.

Our pool is indeed a heated pool. Obviously, we do not employ such an option during our warmer months, which usually would encompass April. However, it has been unseasonably cool very late in the season this year, and it turns out that our engineering staff had indeed cut out the heat during a warmer period. It takes a couple of days to reheat that much water, and they were not able to get it back up to where it needed to be. All of this does nothing to rectify the fact that your stay was unenviable at best, and again I apologize for our shortcomings.

I would like that you contact the hotel directly, and we can further discuss the events of your stay. Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your less than satisfactory experience.
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

The staff upon check-in was very friendly and helpful. There is also plenty of parking space. The rooms are older, but they are clean and large. You get two beds in the bedroom, a fully stocked kitchen, and a living room area that has a great view of the ocean. The balcony is also a great feature! We were able to cook lunch while watching the ocean.
The pool area is large and clean. They had security there to keep a look out because they had a lot of spring breakers running around.
The negatives.. Our AC/Heater unit in the bedroom made a loud clicking noise, so we didn't use it. Other reviews mention the old couches. They were old, but we just put a sheet over it and used it. It was completely fine. The breakfast area was nice but very crowded in the mornings. The pool was cold and didn't feel heated. We only used the hot tub.
Overall, I am glad we stayed here. It wasn't perfect, but the view and the beach made it all worth it. I would recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Our service and our great views are two of the items that we pride ourselves on. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed both! We do have a plan in place to replace/update all of our couches within the year. Keep that in mind while planning your vacation at this time next year!

I am sorry that your A/C gave you some issues. If it had been reported, we would have been more than happy to repair or even replace it.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, both good and bad. We always appreciate hearing what we are doing well, and also what we need to improve upon! I would also like to thank you for your recommendation of our property. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future!
Kingsport, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

The view of the ocean was perfect. Our room had double beds and there was a sofa bed in the living room. The kitchen was stocked with utensils if we wished to cook and dishes as well. It was quiet- one of the qualities I like. The only problem was when the front doors shut. But with mostly snow birds there in the winter months, it was peaceful. I kept the fan running to block out noise when I slept. The breakfast area was in a new area where you could view the ocean. The pool and motel was kept very clean by the employees. It was freshly painted and baths were updated.
The staff was friendly and accommodating. We had stayed there a week and hated to leave.
They made us feel at home. Next year we hope to stay longer. I hope they get new sofa beds. They weren't very comfortable for sitting on long periods. I used the computer they had at the front desk since there was no wifi and it worked out fine.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SeenFiftyStates
Brian G, Front Office Manager at Beachcomber By The Sea, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
I am glad that you enjoyed our brand new beach view breakfast area. Our maintenance team put in a lot of work during the off season to make that happen, and we are pretty proud of it.

Thank you for the kind words about the staff. I will be sure to pass them along to everyone. We do try to make Beachcomber feel like a home away from home, so it means a lot to hear that we have accomplished our goal!

There is a plan in the works to replace sofas hopefully by the end of the year. It is certainly something that has been addressed in staff meetings. Also, over the course of the next two years, we should offer free wifi in the rooms to go along with our free computer in the lobby!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We are looking forward to seeing you when you visit us next year!
Nanty Glo, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Three qualities we look for on our stays while traveling;. cleanliness, level of service, and price. Beachcomber gets our star in all three areas! This was our third trip for the month of February taking a break from Western Pennsylvania winter! The staff from the front desk to housekeeping could not be more accomodating! Previous reviews mention a few deficiencies but what we observe first hand is a property that is working very hard to make improvements as needed while keeping costs down to make your stay affordable! The front desk staff on all shifts make you feel like a quest not a number like too many other establishments. Comfortable beds, kitchen area, two flat screen TV's, BEAUTIFULL GULF View, heated pool and great hot tub, When Punxsutawney Phil makes his prediction in our home state, we will be at the Beachcomber listening to the waves! Thanks for a great stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank doctrdon44
Brian G, Front Office Manager at Beachcomber By The Sea, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
We really appreciate your kind words! We certainly try to make all of our guests feel at home, and it is always great to hear when we have accomplished our goal! We look forward to having you for years to come when mean ol' Phil sees that shadow!
Livingston, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed here for a short weekend trip to visit family. It was too cold to enjoy the beach or pool but the view didn't disappoint. The room was nice with 2 double beds and a pull out sofa couch bed. The couch was a little old looking with some stains but it didn't stop us from using it. The kitchen is nice with just about everything you need (bring your own paper towels). However, our coffee maker didn't work. They do have continental breakfast with the following being offered: coffee, apple juice, orange juice, pre-packaged bagel/muffin, small yogurt, or oatmeal packet. If you're looking for the eggs/sausage/toast kind of breakfast then you might want to stay some where else otherwise you're better off cooking your own breakfast or going to Mcdonalds down the road. Being that it's the off season we were able to book this room for $69/night. Definitely would stay here again! Oh and it's a short drive to pier park.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kaj09
Brian G, Front Office Manager at Beachcomber By The Sea, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback! Winter is a great value time to come visit us, but it can get a little chilly here in NW Florida as you saw. :( As you know the pool is heated, but I can't blame you for not utilizing it because you have to get out at some point!!

We are working on replacing carpets and furniture at all 3 of our By the Sea properties, so hopefully when you visit us again we will not have any stains on the sofa. Also, it is my hope that if you reported the coffee maker to us that we replaced it! I will have that checked to ensure that we do not have the problem moving forward.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We always appreciate any and all comments so we know what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong. We look forward to serving you in the future.
Acworth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Everytime I go the staff is always kind all the way down to the cleaning crew. Its a quaint hotel that's go for a family or couple get away. I recommend the Jacuzzi suite for couples. The free continental breakfast is a plus for the family folks.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bam-Bam2002
Thank you for your kind words! Our staff is always very appreciative to hear such nice things from our guests. Thank you also for continuing your patronage with us. We look forward to continuing to serve you in future years to come!