“"Resort" to Nothing Else but the best, Holiday Inn Panama City Bch”

Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Oxford, Massachusetts
“"Resort" to Nothing Else but the best, Holiday Inn Panama City Bch”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We recently stayed here for a 4 day meeting and I can't begin to tell you just how amazing it was. The staff was off the charts, the hotel was incredible - A must stay when your in the area. Well worth the money. The hotel staff were always smiling and saying hello to us at every turn. Most of all we felt like part of them by the time we left. Thank you to everyone for such a wonderful stay. We will be back again soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the ocean so there they are all good. Very cool atmosphere as a result.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Drummer93
phcolvin, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Drummer93,

We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay with us; thank you for sharing your experience at our resort on TripAdvisor! It’s great to hear that our friendly and talented Resort Team Members helped to make your stay fantastic! We strive to provide a superior level of service at our resort so it makes us very happy to hear that we are meeting that goal. We hope to have you back to visit us again soon; thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort!

Meagan M.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
Fortson, Georgia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

A wonderful location,everything you could want in a vacation location.....kids waterpark..hot tubs..beach front and never a problem with service....Mr. Matos one of the managers does a
awesome job making sure everything is in order and always greets us and welcomes us...we love this place .......and you will too

Room Tip: stay above the 6th floor for a great view of the ocean......of course the view of all the palm trees...
2 Thank james n
Dear james n,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our resort on TripAdvisor! It’s great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us from our wonderful location, kids Aqualand water playground, to the superior level of service provided by our resort team. We hope to have you and your family back to visit us again soon! Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort!

Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We've stayed at this property several times, but always in the spring or fall, before 'proper summer' hits. I got sticker shock at the rate. We were looking for 3 nights in the middle of the week, so I was sure I could find a bargain. I dropped my wife off to visit with friends and headed to the beach to find a 'hidden gem'. I've been to PCB quite a bit, and I was immediately taken by how many properties appeared to have been upgraded. The fascia's on most every building looked like it had a fresh coat of paint, many in attractive pastel colors instead of the dirty concrete I remembered from before. I drove way to the west, planning to work my way back until I found a great deal. Time after time I would spot a place that looked decent, and stop in. Some were as pricey as the Holiday Inn, others 30-$40 cheaper. When my gut said it was worth looking at, I would ask to see a room. Junk, fleabag, wore-slap-out motel rooms, tiny pools, filthy stairs and hallways, no bar or restaurant, and little of interest near by. I turned my head back toward the Holiday Inn and called and wrangled the best deal I could. With the bait-and switch resort fee, it was still north of $200 a night.
Our room was on the 7th floor (713), and was a smoking room. We had a smoker, but never smoked in the room, as the spacious balcony works perfect for it. I think that was a common theme, as the room barely smelled of smoke when we arrived. We took this room as it was the highest floor available to us. The furnishings were clearly fresh with super comfy beds, flat screen tv, and very decent wifi. I don't think we ever turned the TV on. The bathroom was as I remembered (very small) but had a modern fiberglass tub/shower combo and a killer shower with great pressure. My only nag was the fancy shower curtain rod that is all the rage, that also must be popular with kids to hang off of. I've never seen one in a hotel room that wasn't pulled loose, and making it tough to keep the curtain closed, thus water off the floor, thus leaks to the room below, etc etc.

As 'beach resorts' go, the HI property was pretty doggone good. From the exterior (pool side) it looked like all the rooms had been renovated with new blinds since our last stay. Aside from the towels hanging from most every balcony, the resort looked really nice. The garden buffer between the pool area and the beach was aflame with blooming flowers. The sidewalks, hallways, and food areas were quite clean (even though they were nearly full in the middle of the week).
The pool is terrific, huge (and needs to be), with an adequate number of loungers, and a huge bench where you can sit in chest high water and watch the kids. Smaller kids have a cool 'splash zone' kind of place with it's own enclosure. There is a quieter area where one can get sun away from the loud pool, and with a great view of the beach. The beach is mere steps away, and is fabulous. There is a pool chair vendor there. I did find myself comparing notes on price when it came to those things. Many of the condo's now offer free beach chair service in some arrangement with the vendor. We didn't rent one, but our neighbors in the next room told us it was $50 a day for two chairs and an umbrella. If that is a priority, this can be a deal-maker with some properties. In the case of the Holiday Inn, if they would offer their own beach service, they could take some of the pressure off the pool area which is nearly over-crowded during this peak time.
We did note with a smile that the manager on duty (Nelson Matos) was engaged around the pool, taking notes, and directing clean-up and repairs. A lot of managers tend to hide from busy customer areas to avoid getting caught up in to many "I want this" conversations. Mr. Matos clearly wanted to see how his operation was doing and to know what his guests were doing and talking about. I used to teach 'employee engagement', and this kind of manager is the one all should strive for.
We ate at the little snack bar by the pool a couple times, and everything was decent. The service was prompt, if a little stoic. Smile folks.
Right next door is the endless string of poolside entertainment. We enjoy watching the kids dance, and hearing the 'guy and guitar' acts. The nightly poolside movies were a hit, as was the Polynesian show.
We found the magic show by accident, but it never really grabbed us long enough to stay. That show (and a 'vegas variety' act) happen in a room adjacent to the Sunset lounge, and it seems a little 'forced' to me. The room is clearly a re-purposed conference room, and just doesn't seem inviting. The Sunset lounge is a real asset with it's amazing view of the sunset, but it just seems poorly designed. The identity was lost on me. We found ourselves escaping (3 adults) when 30 or so wet kids arrived for the show. Perhaps that is my real message. Adults need a place to escape to, and the property seems to be lacking that now. If I were 'king' of this place, I would make the Sunset Lounge an upscale adults only eatery and night club. Make the sunset the show (perhaps with a strolling magician? They could also work the kids downstairs). We really wanted to eat up there and make an evening of it, but the only food offered is ordered 'room service' style from the View Restaurant (which oddly doesn't not have a view), and their's no table service, even for drinks.
"The View" had a lovely view of the plants blocking the view of the pool. We had dinner, and it was decent, but not worth the money they were asking. We passed on the $29 per head seafood buffet, and opted for a couple of steaks. Both were tasty, but at $24 and $28, we were expecting a little more. The lighting made the place feel like a diner (even though it was after 9 pm). The service was prompt and friendly (they seemed a little lonesome for such a full hotel).
For the new guests, remember to get EVERYTHING you think you might need out of your car. You have to park in a lot across the street (via a tunnel under the main road). There is a convenient shuttle to take you out there, but going to get sunglasses can still be a 15 minute affair. The bell staff was energetic and friendly. I failed to retain his card, but the young man that helped us (started with a "K", said he plays football at the University of Tulsa, and is on a 9 week program at PCB) was as nice and helpful as I've run across.
Speaking of across the street, this hotel is in one of the few areas with a decent amount of services nearby. There are several food joints and shopping across the street. The Waffle House is something to see, as they pretty much always have a line out the door. They still manage to get people in and out quickly and well fed. Someone told us that WH sends new managers there to learn how to crank it out quickly.
So in the end, I decided that the $22.50 resort fee is actually quite reasonable when they crank out the entertainment and service like this property. I just wish we could figure out a way of making hotels disclose it in advance.
Nice job HI-PCB! We'll be back, but when it's a little less popular. It's great that at least one hotel there cares enough to a great job.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 4th floor get a beach view, but higher is better. Sometimes if you'll accept a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank zjxtinpusher
phcolvin, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear zjxtinpusher,

Thank you for the great review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at our resort! We truly value our guests’ feedback and suggestions and look forward to sharing your review with our management team. We’re so glad you visited us during our summer season this time and enjoyed so many of the amenities and activities we offer here at the resort! Thank you for recognizing and complementing our staff, we strive to make sure all of our guests have a wonderful stay and it's great to hear that we are meeting our goals. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future, thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I were on our honeymoon for this trip. We also had my service dog with us. This was our second stay on the property. We loved every second of our stay here. They were fantastic from the moment we arrived to the moment we extended our stay, and then down to the second we begrudgingly checked out again. Everything is clean and well taken care of. The staff is excellent. I especially enjoy the shuttle service with the guy who dresses up like a pirate and has the disco ball and music in his golf cart. It makes for an excellent trip from parking to the door. They've never given me issues with Ranger (my service dog). We were up on the tenth floor this time around. The views are stunning. Nothing like the views with coffee and the paper on the balcony in the morning. We also came back one night just in time to catch the end of the Dive In Movie and watched from our balcony. Mike at the Tiki Bar was a superb bartender. I have yet to use the spa, and hate that I missed the Polynesian fire Show. Those are my only regrets, and entirely my own fault. I've not a single negative thing to say about this resort. There is also mini golf literally less than a hundred feet or so from the door. You won't regret your stay. I can't wait to go back and snorkel some more!

Room Tip: Make sure you call in and get a room a little higher up for the guaranteed views! I'm certain th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mandi D
Dear Mandi D,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our resort on TripAdvisor. First off, congratulations! We’re so thankful that you chose to spend your honeymoon with us! We’re glad you enjoyed so much of what our resort has to offer with our clean rooms, stunning views, fun pool side entertainment, and more! It’s also great to hear that all of our friendly and talented team members where there to help you have the best vacation possible. We look forward to welcoming you both, and Ranger :), back to the beach so you can relax at the spa, check out the Polynesian Fire show, and of course snorkel! Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort.

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

The Elvis impersonator was entertaining in fact we love him so much and his dedication to our military.. Kionty Fields was energetic and helpful with our bags! Our waterfront room was gorgeous with views of emerald and turquoise waters.. The front staff even gave us late check out! Great value! Entertainment everyday.. Why go anywhere else.. We hope to come back!! Thank you to all that provided us an exceptional service!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laurie V
Dear Laurie V,

Thank you for sharing about your vacation on TripAdvisor! It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your room with views of our beautiful beaches, fun entertainment, and that so many of our friendly and talented Resort Team Members were able to enhance your stay! We look forward to having you visit us again!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Every year for the last 7 years we spend at least a 4 or 5 days vacationing at this resort more when possible and this year is no different.it is the best place to stay on PCB for family's. they keep the kids entertained while providing top notch. we had one very minor issue this stay and it was quickly addressed by the night shift front desk (Jimmy) who not only corrected by went out of his way to insure we were satisfied. while on the pool deck you will be greeted by the staff and asked regularly if everything is ok and can they do anything for you. Josh Lucas really went above and beyond to help the Restaurant staff one morning when they were over run then he followed that up with excellent service while we were on the pool deck. its this kind of service from the staff that keeps our family returning year after year. hope to be back there again before summer is over.

2 Thank Wes714
phcolvin, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Wes714,

We’re so glad you had another excellent stay here, thank you for sharing your experience with our resort on TripAdvisor! It’s great to hear that so many of our Resort Team Members were able to enhance your stay; we strive to provide an excellent vacation experience with great amenities and service that is second to none! Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort, we look forward to having you and your family vacation with us again this summer!

Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2014

If you haven't visited yet, what are you waiting for? This place is just as the majority describes: GREAT!
Our room was on the 8th floor, middle, where we enjoyed overlooking the palm trees straight to the beach.
Once at the beach, we were setting up our own umbrella and Karin came over and drilled a hole in the sand--that's service! (Note* although they provide pool towels, you need to bring your own beach towels).
Robert and Mike S. are always around, super nice, and always hospitable. A few others that were super nice were Minor and Lettie. Michelle at the Food Shack gave me excellent service and was a real sweet gal! Thank you guys for making our stay wonderful!
People: from the time you pull in, check-in, eat, drink, swim, watch movies, dance, sing, dodge waves, sun bathe, etc., to the time you check-out, you will have a great time!
I rated Sleep quality very good, not excellent, because it wasn't my bed.
We intend to return and make more wonderful memories at this fabulous state-side resort.
Thank you HIR-PCB!

Room Tip: I think above the palm trees about 8th floor and up is good--reduced noise, view of beach Middle of...
Dear ljstraveler,

Thank you so much for the great review and for recognizing and complementing our staff, we strive to make sure all of our guests have a wonderful stay and it's great to hear that we are meeting our goals. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the beach!