“Old and decaying”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Pembroke Pines
New York City, New York
“Old and decaying”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Got this on hotwire and was hugely disappointed. This might have been nice 40 years ago, and driving in, you might be forgiven for having expectations of a decent resort as it looks nice from outside, but it is all window dressing. The resort needs renovations, which have begun, but which take place during the day and are noisy, if you happen to be around.

The rooms are so dated that if they waited a couple of more years, they could claim to be retro. But the furnishings are abysmal, a chair I sat in simply broke as the support had rotted.

Avoid at all costs, it is not worth the price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank sportsroadtrips
Matt W, Marketing Director at Grand Palms Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept our apologies regarding your recent stay. Our team takes pride in trying to reach out to all of our guests and provide excellent service. We are in the process of renovations at this time. Because of this the most reasonable time to do this is during daylight hours and not at night. In response to the broken chair. It was brought to our attention at check out and we were unaware that it happen prior. It is not uncommon that even the finest hotels have had furniture problems. Be assured that this is the first time ever we had this issue. We have taken steps to make sure the quality is of the finest for our guests. Your response and feedback is greatly appreciated. If your travels bring you back to the Pembroke Pines area we look forward to the chance to serve you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Chico California
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Palms Hotel and Golf Resort for 3 nights It was a bonus stay through a different purchase from RCI. What a crummy place!
The staff person did not greet us, even when we checked in!
The rooms were not cleaned well - crumbs on the floor (from corn chips) not vacuumed up for 2 days. The sheets were not changed at all - as far as I could tell. Towels were replaced daily, but they were old and felt like sandpaper. No dusting took place either. Walls not as clean as they should be.
The third day there was some room cleaning & vacuuming, but I definitely looked under and around the mattress for any bugs. Also noisy AC unit in room did not help with our sleep!
Next, the "Continental breakfast" was a joke. Dry muffins, you could make a waffle or eat a box of cereal - juice and bad coffee. That's all. If you wanted an egg or anything else (normally offered) you had to order it off a menu. We only ate there the first morning and ate out the other two mornings.
The only friendly staff was the woman at the continental breakfast.
I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: do not stay here!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lanesppa

Travellers are raving about these Pembroke Pines hotels

Reviewed 24 July 2013

The price was high from the get go but my wife and I decided to stay anyways. Up on entering the room we could smell a musky smell and the beds in the room are old spring beds. In the morning I took up a cup to drink water out of to feel something crawling on my hands just to notice it was a huge cockroach which the manager of the building claim it was a palmetto bug. I will never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Stayedinn
After reviewing your review we took immediate action. We inform our pest control company of the situation and they are on top of it. Our hotel is going through a face-lift makeover and we are constantly improving the resorts conditions. Our beds are one of the best hospitality beds available that come in soft or hard. If you reported that you were unhappy with that which we provided, with a simple phone call. We would have had us immediately change your mattress to one that you would have preferred. Please note at the time you made this complaint to us. We did offer you an incentive to come back and stay with us We do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The location was awesome and I really enjoyed the stay. The one complaint I would like to share was the housekeeping staff. One of the housekeepers (female) and one male entered into my room while I was taking a shower. Here reasoning was to collect dirty towels because the resort was short on towels. I had a female guest in my room and she was in total shock and disbelief to know that someone from housekeeping could just enter into the room and not knock at the door prior to doing so. I am very uncomfortable with this situation and did report the incident to front lobby hotel staff. I am not sure if the incident was reported so I have decided to post it here. The housekeeping staff (female) was extremely rude when I approached her about coming into my room unannounced. The need to gather towels because there is a shortage in the resort is no logical to invade my room. I was staying in a suite so they should have stopped in the living area and not enter my private room. This was extremely disrespectful to me and my guest and also a tramatic experience and I hope that this type of incident does not happen to anyone else. If I had another hotel available, I would have checked out the same day. I prefer to have a refund of my money or a complimentary stay to account for the problem I experienced. I am open to management calling me. My Room #312 during the stay was on July 6th to contact me. You have my information on file and I look forward to hearing from management soon.

Thanks!

Room Tip: Corner suite
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tony2013244
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Grand Palms Resort. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with your stay with us. We will be following up with you to address your issues further. In the meantime I would like to offer you either a free nights stay with us next time you are here or a free round of golf. I am very confident your experience will be better next time around.
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I have no idea how this establishment calls themselves a resort. Our room was disgusting! After spending an hour in the room I noticed my 2 year old daughters feet were filthy. I immediately looked online for another hotel but unfortunately everything was booked. We wore flip flops just to get from the bed to the bathroom. I also had to stop my shower midway in order to let the tub drain. I will NEVER stay at this "resort" again!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Alea1331
We certainly apologize but also respectfully disagree. Our hotel room carpets are vacuum daily and all of the cleaning work is done using advanced carpet cleaning machinery. In regards to your bath tub. I do wish you notified us and we would of gladly upgraded you to a new room. Even the finest hotels have mechanical issues at times and we do whatever it takes to make our customers happy. I do hope you could give us another chance in the future and we will reserve a special offer for you!
New York
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Over rated and over priced. My wife and I stayed there before our cruise and had reservations to stay after the cruise. We canceled our reservation for the second stay before we left on our cruise. The room was very out dated and run down. Lots of peeling paint and stains in the bathroom. My wife found pubic hair on the toilet and the white floor mat towell had yellow stains on it. I'm sure back in the day it was a real classy place but today in my opinion its just another poorly maintained orver priced place that should be avoided.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank quinnat8
We certainly apologize but also respectfully disagree. Our housekeeping manager inspected the room and did not find any issues in this room before you check-in. We also will not keep a room in service if the walls have peeling paint or stains. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience with us. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product. I just wish that you would of told us that you were not satisfied with your room during your stay. We want to make every guest here feel satisfied. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day. Again, we appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Bad place to stay! Noisy, bad breakfast! Will never stay here again! Everything is original from when it was built! Beds are lumpy. Suppose to have a frig. @ microwave. We asked they said for $20 more .a real rip off!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Vcb1945
Matt W, Marketing Director at Grand Palms Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Saw your review of Feb 23, 2013 and I believe you're being unfair. It sounds like you were in our regular room in liew of a suite. Only the suites have microwave & refridgerator and yes we do charged $10 for a microwave & refridgerator and that is because our rates are low. Our continental breakfast includes hot waffles, cereals, juices, various breads, and choice of danish. However you could have ordered eggs, bacon or sausage with potatoes for just $3 more.

Our beds are one of the best hospitality beds available that come in soft or hard. If you reported that you were unhappy with that which we provided, with a simple phone call. We would have had us immediately change your mattress to one that you would have preferred. As far as noice being loud. Our rooms are divided by solid concrete walls that avoids sound penetration. If the noice you are referring to was from the outside, again, a phone call to the front desk would have corrected that situation. We have no excuses but to report the truth.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pembroke Pines
Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale West / Pembroke Pines
Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Pembroke Pines
Holiday Inn Express Pembroke Pines-Sheridan St
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale / Miramar
Wingate by Wyndham Fort Lauderdale Miramar
Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale SW/Miramar

Been to Grand Palms Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!