“Don't go”

Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
Arkansas
“Don't go”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

If you are desperate for a cheap place to stay try using Price Line first before you fall for this chain. We thought we needed a place close to my in-laws house for 5 days so this place seemed to make sense. The advertised price at this Value Place (different locations advertise different prices) was $175.00. I went online to make a reservation and was surprised to find that you have to pay extra for clean linens during the week, for a kitchen set of dishes and pans, for a coffee pot ($30.00) etc. So I made the reservation for a double room, non-smoking and added internet access and linen change. I printed out the confirmation and we took it with us. When we arrived there was a couple in front of us who were upset that the price they had been quoted over the phone wasn't correct. The ladies at the desk finally gave them the quoted price but not until there was about 20 minutes of haggling. There were only two ladies working behind the desk and one was being trained by the other. We stood there waiting for over 40 minutes before we were helped. I handed my printout of the reservation to the person in charge and she informed us that they are not equipped to honor the online "reservation". It turns out that it is simply showing you your possible choices and doesn't guarantee anything. They only had one double room left, but it was smoking. My husband checked it out and we decided we would have to take it, but we weren't happy at all. The beds are thin mattresses essentially on a board. We left our stuff in the room and went to his Mom's house where we found out that a friend of the family could put us up. My husband went back to Value Place and was told that there are no refunds under any circumstances and we had signed a contract to that effect. When he asked to talk to the manager he was told she would not be available until Monday. (This was Friday). We called our credit union to stop payment and they told us they would back us up so we'll see what happens with that. I do need to say that the person who was being trained was very friendly and seemed to be doing as much as she could to help.

Room Tip: Good luck.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank higheredteach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Saint Augustine
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Reading the other reviews, all I can say is, "You get what you pay for." It was the cheapest price that I found in Pensacola. I stayed at this 'hotel' for one month while I checked out Pensacola as a possible place to retire. My experience was not as bad as theirs, thus my giving it 3 stars. But, I can see how it could have been worse. If you would imagine in your mind what you would expect of a hotel stay ... this isn't it. It's more like a strict boarding house. My check-in went smoothly, and the service staff were very helpful. I was by myself and normally would have been given a single, but none were available so I was given a double. Which turned out to be a good thing as you'll read later. Know ahead of time that 1) if you are a male they say they will run a 'sex offender' check, 2) you are required to pay in full up front, and there is NO REFUND no matter what! Additionally, you will be given a list of 'infractions' that will get you kicked out (i.e. you come up as a sex offender, don't keep your room clean, leave your door/window open, causing problems...). If your stay is longer than one week the room is only cleaned every other week. I found the room clean, but as reported by other reviewers the carpet needs to be cleaned more often. I solved this by not walking around barefoot or in my socks. There did appear to be 'long term' residents staying at this hotel, and I found that any issues that came up seemed to involve them ... slamming doors and noise in general. During my stay there was only one issue that came up where I went to the staff for help. At 2am one morning two teenage girls were banging on the wall and window below my room yelling "let me in." There is no 24/7 desk staff, and your only option is to dial a phone number. If no one answers you have no other option. When I inquired at the front desk the next morning I was informed they had already received a complaint, and it had been taken care of. There was not a repeat incident during my stay. The room is simple ... two queen size beds, a kitchenette, a table with 2 chairs, a 3-drawer dresser with a 'small' television. The mattress lays on a plywood built platform, with storage areas underneath. The first two nights were uncomfortable as the mattress had a spring that was sprung. So, I moved to the other bed, and had no problems for the rest of my stay. Don't know what would have happened if both mattresses had problems. In closing, it was an 'ok' stay for the price I paid.

Room Tip: You can check out your room prior to making a commitment to stay, and I would recommend not staying...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Robert A
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed 9 July 2011

OMG! where to start, they have an employee named Harvey and Hardy, with long hair who is not trained to use the computer, which lies to you and acts like a freak. He said he had no rooms and then took pity on me because I had a baby. wrote down almost 15 numbers of rooms when he had previously said they were overbook. I practically had to beg him to give me the room after I had booked in advance. Acted like a true psychopath and a very low skilled on what he was doing. The next morning I told the receptionist what happen to me day before she confronted him in front of me, and he said that another employee had told him that no check in that night, she found my documentation in trash.
2nd day...when and get my internet on...it never works!
3rd day and checkout...i went again to the recepcionist to tell her about me leaving after office hours, she told me in front of the same guyto handled him my keys and that he will put a note for me to check out in the morning...OMG!! this slow guy didn't get that either, when I look for him he practically yield a me "I can't check you out" when the only simple thing was to write that note...
I am not coming back, not because of the hotel, the room was clean, and I didn't mind to much about the bed, but the customer service suck, and this weird guy was the worst part, he needs to be fire and somebody has to do something soon, because from now on I rather pay more and have a great time in my hotel...this is trash on customer service, and ahead do no make reservation because they are not valid if you show up after hours!!

Room Tip: Do no go to this place!! pick another one
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Erneliz
San Diego
Reviewed 13 February 2011

This place is just horrible looks nice from the outside and on the internet but thats it. There customer service is horrible I had to wait just about all night sleeping in my car because I there front desk was not open they just open from 9am to 6pm monday through friday and 10am to 2pm on saturday and sundays they are closed completely what kind of hotel/lodging doesn't have a 24 hour service. Rooms are disgusting with cockroaches walking around through the walls and mold all over the bathroom tub. They do not have a manager, supervisor, or general manager you can call when you have a concern the front desk clerk she just does it all cleans, makes reservations and if you have a concern she gives you a 1800valueplace and you call this number and she picks up the phone what good is it when you have a problem and you don't have no one to talk to but one person. I just wanted to stay there for a few days until I was able to move in to my place but you cant just stay there for a few days its a minimum of 7 days without no refund. So like in my case I moved out in 2 days and I just basically paid for 7 days talk about "rip-off". To top this hotel/lodging off the bed you are might has well be sleeping on the floor it is hard like a rock I had to go buy out of my own pocket a inflatable mattress. By far the worse hotel there is out there it is absolutely not worth the money to stay at one of this places. I would not recommend it to no one.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank miguelmaul
Crossville, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 December 2010

This place is the worst I've ever stayed, and I've stayed in some holes even a rat wouldn't like! The room is clean and that's the only good thing. I sat on the bed and bruised my tailbone! It bottomed out! The mattress is 4 inches thick, full of wire springs and sits on a plywood stand. It sucks! I didn't expect the Ritz but a bed is what I payed for. A cardboard box on concrete is the only thing that could be worse. The people staying here are all weirdos and the girl who was supposed to be at the desk for check in decided to take a powder. I had to wait until security called a resident who worked here and woke her up to check me in. When we were ready for bed we discovered one of our paper thin beds didn't even have a blanket! I would not recommend this place to someone I didn't like! STAY ELSEWHERE!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank PompanoPaul
Spring Hill, Florida
Reviewed 19 June 2010

I am writing this review from my room at the Red Roof Inn by University Mall...you will understand why in a moment.

A family member and I made a reservation for a one week stay online at Value Place's website approximately 10 days before we were going to arrive. I received a confirmation email and printed it to take with me upon check-in. On the date my stay was to begin, my family and I arrived at Value Place after being on the road driving for over 13 hours. First off, we dialed 500 on the lobby phone as per Value Place's website instructions. Nobody responded. As we were standing in the lobby waiting, several weirdos showed up, including some vagrant woman who was going from person to person asking if she could share a room, explaining that she had been living on the streets for 6 months. After approximately 10 minutes of no employees in sight, finally a guy named Willie shows up. We hand him our printed out reservation confirmation, and he informs us that there are no rooms available. We asked him how this is possible given the fact that we booked over one week in advance, provided our credit card number, and brought a printed copy of our reservation confirmation. He simply told us that they had double booked the hotel, and that the Value Place location on Scenic Highway in Pensacola was full as well.

After seeing the type of people that stay at this place, and after the unprofessional business conduct of the employees, I am actually glad we ended up not staying there. Save yourself the frustration and book your stay at a REAL hotel!

P.S. The Red Roof Inn by University Mall isn't bad, and they have FREE WiFi and DAILY housekeeping. (Value Place charges $10 for internet access and $25 per room cleaning.)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank CarolinaGirl1112
Baton Rouge LA
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Sales, marketing Manager Travis, who told a friend of mine, he lied and misrepresented himself - sounded like a used car sales guy. Not knowledgable at all about the city. Had stayed at other Value Places and except for the manager Jodi, and her assistant Carla, I would have left the first day. Went over to the Scenic property and the Manager there, Tom, who is a arrogant creep, very scarcastic and demanding, so I left there and went back to detroit, where my week was fine due to Jodi and her assistant.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business