“Lack of integrity and gross poor customer service”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Pensacola West
Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
Reviewed 26 May 2012

After making a reservation a week earlier through AAA and receiving not one, but two confirmations of our reservation on an internet special, we arrived at this hotel on a holiday weekend (Memorial Day) and were told that our reservation had been canceled. We were told that our credit card was declined. When I asked why we weren't contacted so we could correct the situation, if indeed there is a problem (we pay off our balance every month), we were told they did not have our phone number. The hotel said that they were given the reservation by Travelocity and that each time they attempted to call them, Travelocity hung up on them. (I ask you, how likely is that?) They offered to make a new reservation for $50 more than our special promotion price. We declined.

We were not a late arrival (it was 2:45 p.m. when we attempted to check in). There was no reason to deny us the room other than these possibilities:

1. We were only staying for one night. Could it be that they wanted to deny our stay for a customer who would be staying longer over the holiday weekend?

2. By canceling our reservation, the only way they could rebook it (according to them) was at the new price. How convenient!

I own a retail business and know that if you want to get and keep customers, you treat them as you would want to be treated OR BETTER. They took no responsibility for not contacting us and never offered the option that they would simply get another card from us when we checked in. They had no solutions other than "give us more money". We obviously declined their generous offer.

Any business that operates with that lack of integrity and has so little understanding of customer service is not an option for me. I have already contacted AAA and am filing a complaint with them as CI&S is one of their travel partners. The person at AAA that I contacted by phone to report this was appalled at the "unprofessionalism" of this site.

I would strongly recommend that you express your rejection of this business by not staying there as well. Who knows what they might want to do with your reservation if they could think of a way to jack up the price before you got there?

Enough said. I gave this a one rating because that is the lowest I could give.

To the manager: please do not write your comment and ask me to come back and correct my negative opinion. I was told by the person at the front desk that you said there was nothing you could do for us. You had your chance.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elizabeth B

Reviewed 13 May 2012

We only stayed one night but I would gladly stay longer. very clean room and nice bathroom. Excellent beds with good quality bedding. Wifi was easily accessed and had a good signal. breakfast was fine and also they had good coffee.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank maryc82
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Really enjoyed this hotel. Good location close to I-10 with many restaurant choices. After having 'issues' with the wireless internet service in so many hotels, it was NICE to stay in one that actually had strong, fast in-room internet access. Also appreciated the 24hr coffee!! Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank julieroadhouse
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Stayed here at the end of April 2012.
Good hotel,large room with a good bed.
The only negative is the thin walls.
Also the breakfast was simple,but free.
Got a good deal on priceline.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jtjedeb
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Three years old but look like in opened yesterday. Very close to Interstate 10 interchange but quiet.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank See-Ray
AMANDA R, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Pensacola West, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor Survey regarding your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inn & Suites, we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Reviewed 18 March 2012

I am a Club Carlson member and I have stayed at five Country Inn & Suites and so far this one was the worst of the lot. The best one was in Effingham, Illinois. Compared to other Country Inn & Suites, the check-in was very fast and the rooms were well-sized and in good condition. But, here is what ruined the stay for us.

BREAKFAST: Because I had stayed at several Country Inn & Suites, I know what to expect for breakfast. The breakfast experience was extremely bad. The orange juice smelled bad. The cranberry juice was water with a pink coloring. The breakfast attendant was running around complaining about things not working. The line for make-your-own waffles was extremely long. Here is what could be done to improve this experience:
(1) Have a better beverage dispenser with good (properly defrosted) orange juice and cranberry juice. I suspect the orange juice and cranberry juice was partially frozen in the dispenser and that the tap on the orange juice had not been cleaned properly in some time.
(2) Add a second waffle maker to reduce the waffle lines. Include no-stick spray for the waffle iron and a proper way to put waffle batter into the cups. We had a bowl with a SLOTTED DRAINING SPOON to try to put the batter into the cups. Talk about frustrating!
(3) BACON! There is no breakfast without it. Instead of bacon there was a rubber chicken-like patty.
I did not try to approach the breakfast attendant about this because she seemed one step away from a nervous breakdown. We should have left immediately and went somewhere else for breakfast.

ROOM:
I understand that this particular Country Inn & Suites is complying with a State of Florida standard for environmentally-friendly lodging and I am all for improving the environment. But, there is a line that you can cross in this area where providing "environmentally-friendly lodging" actually harms the occupants or lodgers. The main part of this "environmentally-friendly lodging" standard is to turn off the AC entirely when their is no occupant in a room. So, when a new occupant arrives to a room, the room is HOT and smells like someone's old dirty sneakers. Only after you run the AC for some time does the room become liveable. Then, there are other concerns. If the AC is off for long periods of time, you have created a very warm, dark, moist environment. This "environmentally-friendly lodging" standard also provides the perfect environment for viruses and bacteria to thrive. I do not care how much you clean the room, this is the case. Here is how you can improve this:
(1) It is much better to leave the AC on and set the thermostat to a higher temperature when the rooms have no occupants. In this case, even an occasional cycle of AC will reduce the humidity and temperature and cut down on the musty smell (less ability for bacteria to grow that produce that smell). It will also reduce viruses and other bacteria in the room.
(2) If you do not do want to do this, you could have the staff turn on the AC in ONLY the rooms you are expecting occupants at around 2PM each day or make some sort of attempt to cover up the "old sneaker" smell.

I love Country Inn and Suites as a general rule, but this one hits far below the mark.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
AMANDA R, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Pensacola West, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on TripAdivsor! We sincerely apologize that your experience here was less than satisfactory. We appreciate any comments or suggestions you may have to improve our property and graciously invite you back to stay so that we may have another opportunity to change any negative opinions you may have about our hotel.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Have stayed at Country Inn & Suites in a number of places, mostly throughout Florida. This was no different. A quiet King bedroon, non-smoking on the third floor; I was taking a seminar all week and although I was reasonably close to home, I choose to stay here to read, relax, and review notes. I rarely eat breakfast so I didn't even see their free breakfast offerings, but they usually are more than acceptable. The cookies were fantastic; oatmeal raisin, I think. The housekeeping was spotless. Only complaint was that the last time I came through the lobby, neither of the room clerks even acknowledged my "hello."

Room Tip: Park at either end of the building and you can enter or leave easily.