“Close to nightlife. Surprisingly good, but not great.”

Sole Inn and Suites
Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
Reviewed 26 June 2009

This hotel isn't very well publicized. Most people who go to Pensacola generally go for the beach. Well here's the deal, hotels on the beach start at $200 a night, and hotels off the beach (but still close by) are generally in the $100-$150 range. I really don't understand why Pensacola hotels are so expensive, when they're not right on the beach. Well either way, we decided to stay here. The drive to the beach isn't too bad. And the public beach was nice. But this review isn't about the beach, it's about the Sole Inn.

The website seemed pretty nice, but I had a great fear that whenever we'd arrive at the Sole we'd be disappointed, but no, the website does the hotel justice. The beds are very springy (perhaps bad if you prefer firm mattresses). The styling was very nice, and you can tell that the place had been revamped recently. The only thing in the room that showed age was the shower. The bathroom was totally redone, and there were modern bath fixtures e.g. black toilet, a faucet that looks more like a fountain (in a good way). But the shower really wasn't a big deal. The wifi was alright, but a little weak on my laptop, despite being smack dab in the middle of the hotel. All in all, the room was great. They use wall a/c units, but I doubt that will affect your stay.

As for the hotel's amenities, the lobby is quaint, but hip. Every afternoon, they do Happy Hour from 5-7, which is nice to come home to after a day at the beach. Unfortunately, I hope you're not expecting nice cocktails or even good beer or anything. They had carafes of what I believed to be boxwine, and as for beer, they had cans of Natural "Natty" Light out for consumption. Not exactly classy. For breakfast, the selection was very limited; continental breakfast of cereal, pastries, and fruit. Pretty standard. It should also be noted that there is no pool. There is a fountain, but I'm not sure if we were supposed to have been able to play in it.

Now, while my feelings on the hotel are mixed, let me say that the location cannot be beat. Like I said, the beach is not too far away. Generally a 10-15 minute drive when there's no traffic. In terms of nightlife, Palafox is like the main street of Pensacola. We were able to walk to the bars, pretty safely, meaning that we didn't even need to cab it home after a night out. There are all kinds of bars for different ranges of people. If you're a girl, get ready to get hit on, this town is full of sailors from the navy.

On saturdays, there's a pleasant surprise. The saturday we went, there was an art market right across the street. This place is great, I'd definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
onthegoalotAtlanta, owner at Sole Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2009

Thank you for your honest and good review. I am taking your comments to heart and upgrading our beer and wine selection and will jazz up breakfast some. I am limited to the shower size due to the building I had to work with, but we are going to put better shower heads in and some robe hooks. Thanks again for staying with us! Alan Williams

Reviewed 17 June 2009

I had checked into a cheap chain hotel in downtown Pensacola.. First the toilet broke, then the fridge stopped working, the bed caved in and the place really smelled. While going for dinner in Downtown Pensacola, I spotted a cool hotel on Palafox. It was an old 50's hotel that had had a makeover. I stopped to enquire about the price,thinking it would certainly be out of my budget.. I was surprised to find it the same price as the dump that I was staying, so I moved hotels. Suddenly, I had a great bed with Egyptian cotton sheets, a quiet new aircon.. A very hip bathroom , with a sleek black glass counter and Knoll fixtures, and a black toilet. Cool furniture and art graced the hotel room. The room came with a microwave, coffee maker, fridge as well. It was spotlessly clean and even still smelled new. A continental breakfast and evening cocktail hour was also included in the price.. You can walk to all the great restraunts and bars in downtown Pensacola and your about a 12 minute ride to the beaches.. Personally, after this hotel, I would never spend twice the money to stay at the beach, and nothing at the beach would resemble a boutiqe hotel with a Queer Eye flare. Dont miss this place if your going to Pensacola!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank thomaso64
Reviewed 17 May 2009

If you are visiting Pensacola, stay here! Location is great as you are in walking distance of restaurants, boutiques and great watering holes. The Sole' has been completely re-done and has fantastic "Wow" factor. Say hello to Alan (Owner-Mgr.) and don't miss the nightly Happy Hour (complimentary!) and enjoy a glass of wine and some munchies and hob-nob with the other guests on the lovely patio.
The price, location and ambiance are excellent.
We can't wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jackkaufl
onthegoalotAtlanta, owner at Sole Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2009

Thank you thank you thank you!!! It was good to see you back here last week! Alan

Reviewed 16 May 2009

Spent one night at the Sole Inn. This little motel had been recently renovated. As another poster said, the rooms are on the small size (hey, it's a motel - not a hotel so we didn't expect the rooms to be huge). Rooms are decorated in a modern, contemporary style. Free breakfast next to the tastefully decorated little lobby. Fab outside patio area. Price was very reasonable considering location, cleanliness, friendliness of staff, etc.
(Trip Advisor should move/remove the post that refers to the Sleep Inn because that is not the same hotel.)

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is fine, the people are great. The room is small but more than adequate. It was great to have a fridge and microwave in the room. Breakfeast was okay- happy hour by the fountain was a nice plus! We stayed on a busy weekend-the hotel was full. 10 minutes to the beach and easy access from major roads.
The hotel was a hot spot for gallery night-live music and art in the lobby. I know the reviews for this hotel are mixed up with another hotel-but I booked anyway and was not disspappointed- great value for the price, especially if you like something a little out of the ordinary.

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed 22 March 2009

The previous reviews are for the place that used to be there. It was re opened in nov. of 2008 and they have done a great job with it. The rooms are clean and very comfortable, fridge and micro in each room, very good breakfast, basic but just fine, Owner and desk staff were great. Beer and wine in the aft. with snacks. If your looking for a great basic place to stay this is it.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dwjMinneapolis
Reviewed 27 September 2007

The Sleep Inn is rather new and clean. The first room I got had dirty carpet, so they switched me to 209. The room was small, but comfortable. The A/C unit is 6 inches from the bed, so if having it blow on you while you sleep annoys you, you might look elsewhere. Breakfast is basic with toast, bagels and cereal. Wired internet worked great, and the TV was large with full channel selection. The outdoor pool was warm and crystal clear. I stayed after Labor Day and the hotel was very quiet with few guests. You can walk to McDonald’s and there is a Cracker Barrel with ¼ mile. Very easy access to I-10. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jjctraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pensacola
Pensacola Grand Hotel
#32 of 65 in Pensacola
4 mi away
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola/Gulf Breeze
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Pensacola West-Navy Base

Been to Sole Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!