“Average at best could easily be great”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Pensacola West-Navy Base
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Our experience began when we called from downtown Pensacola, seeking directions to the hotel. The clerk had no clue what to tell us. Keep in mind that Pensacola is a small city and the civic center (where we were) is a major landmark. We later learned the clerk is new to town, but even the most basic training should have taught her how to find and give directions. Regarding our two rooms . . . in both there was a fair amount of grout missing where the shower walls meet the tub and much of the remaining grout was badly mildewed. The AC did not work (fan blew, but no cold air) in one of our rooms. Daily housekeeping appears to be excellent, but routine maintenance is lacking. Sheets must be getting old, because they are pilled. All the staff members we encountered - front desk, housekeeping, breakfast, cleaning lobby - were very friendly and professional in appearance.

Room Tip: Make certain you know how to find this hotel. Staff may be of no help in that department!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank meghguyton

Reviewed 11 January 2012

November 2011

I called and confirmed a firefighter rate by the front desk prior to my booking of room to see Blue Angels with my family, including 2 young kids. Three days prior to arrival, received call from General Manager and was told my rate was being raised $40 PER NIGHT. I was told by her I could find another hotel (being Blue Angels weekend, all hotels are filled by then) or pay the higher rate. She also informed me that if I said anything about the rate during my stay, My family would either not be allowed to check in or would be kicked out (she stated she was making a note on my reservation for her front desk staff of this also). She was a very rude and unprofessional General Manager. I have filled out complaint with BBB.
I filled out survey telling of my displeasure and have gotten NO response from this HIE management or ownership.

DO NOT STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do Not Stay
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank todd p
hiexpresspensacola, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Pensacola West-Navy Base, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

In response to Mr. Todd P's review: We as the hotel management, IHG Corporate office and BBB have all agreed and have determined that we are correct in our charging this guest the correct amount for his stay. He was trying to get the government rate on a Blue Angel Air Show weekend and he was not coming for work nor on orders so we could not offer the government rate to him. He is a fireman and at times we do offer that rate to fireman but not holidays or special events. We do however offer the rates to military with orders during those times. Which Mr. Perez is not. We did offer to find him another hotel with lower rates but he did refuse. He chose to stay and even signed the paperwork and rate he would be charged. After check out he then tried to dispute charges with hotel, IHG Corp. and BBB. All 3 companies had the same response..the hotel was in the right. So we are sorry you feel we are horrible for following rules. We would be more than happy to allow government rates when the person is government employee with ID/orders.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

The hotel is basically a nice place to stay and conveniently located, HOWEVER, management needs to pay attention to a few basic details. The bathtub and shower in my room had a serious case of black mildew, mold, and missing caulking. I also recall that being the case on a previous stay at this hotel a year ago, so I was pretty surprised to see the problem had not been corrected by now. Also, the toilet was not functioning properly all the time, and the handle needed to be "jiggled" to stop the water leaking.

I also noticed that the small milk cartons offered at the breakfast buffet had expired dates on them (3 days old at the time of my visit.)

In my opinion, there's no excuse for these type of offenses, and I hope the staff and management wake up and start paying attention to these details which are minimum expectations of guests.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Very nice and clean hotel. When I called up to the front desk this nice girl name Lisa brought me some extra towels tried to give her a tip but she said it my pleasure thats what i am here for. You dont see that much. So I would go back if I am that way and If you are in that area you should too.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2011

After calling several hotels in the area, I chose this location because of the friendliness of the front desk person over the phone. All of the staff was very helpful and courteous, and always smiling, they made me feel "right at home." I was extremely happy with my room, it was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast area was cozy and it was nice to relax with a fresh cup of coffee and watch the morning news. I recommend staying here. Autumn, Janet & Charles--great job!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Ireally enjoyed my stay here at the holiday inn pensacola. The minute i walked in the staff was so friendly and helpful. I would recommend staying here for sure.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We needed to have some meetings with county officials in downtown Pensacola and found the pricing of the entire hotel market to be high due to the beginning of the summer season.

The neighborhood around the hotel is working class/military but seemed very safe although you had to drive everywhere to get anything.

The hotel itself was relatively new, although the construction was shoddy (The plastic in our shower was peeling away and the staff told me that was a problem throughout.)

Breakfast was good, and the staff was very accommodating.

Used the pool with my son and he enjoyed it, the spa was nice as well.

Pricing was a little high, however see my notes on the area.

Room Tip: Check in Early-Sold out often!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business