“Will not return” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch
Pensacola, Florida
“Will not return”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I tried Porchetta's because a family member had heard about it and wanted eat there. I eat out frequently and had never heard about it prior to my son's suggestion. Therefore, I was very surprised to hear from the owner that this small restaurant has been open for several years.

My son ordered a burger (can't remember the exact name of it and and couldn't find it on the website) which was pretty good - nicely seasoned. Because he had heard that Porchetta's potato salad is quite good, he wanted to try that as well. We were told that they were out of potato salad. I had planned to order a bowl of chili, seeing it posted as a menu item in several places (one of which was on a chalkboard). I was told that it's a seasonal item and when I suggested that it be removed from the chalkboard, the owner (a man) rudely told me that they just don't do that. Prior to that (and after being told that they were out of potato salad), my son had asked whether french fries could be substituted with a surcharge/upcharge. He had also received the abrupt reply (also in a harsh tone) that they just don' t do that (I found this reply surprising, especially in light of the fact that they were out of potato salad). I ordered a salad which was nothing special -mixed greens, tomatoes and bacon. The bacon did taste as though it was freshly cooked for the salad. The restaurant website states that Porchetta's is a "hole in the wall kind of place" - this is true. The place does have a diner kind of charm and the restaurant I would say is clean (although the table I happened to choose did need to be cleaned even though the place had no other customers there when I arrived.) The website also states that the restaurant strives to provide customers with "a quiet, peaceful place to eat in solace from the daily stresses of your work life". In my case - my experience was anything but peaceful due to the interchange with the owner. I did tell him that I would prefer to not eat there due to the way he treated us, but that we would stay because my son wanted to this time (he was hungry). Another customer approached me after this interchange and complimented me on my assertiveness with the owner. I was upset, but calm - so I see this stranger's comments as an affirmation of our being rudely treated. Finally, in regard to the french fries and baked beans that my son had with his sandwich- the fries were standard crinkle cut fries (probably frozen) and the baked beans tasted like canned beans (although I don't know that for sure). I comment on this because the restaurant website also states that the food is "primarily made with our own hands, basic without additives. Not foods that came out of commercial production."

I preferentially try to support local small businesses, going out of my way to help promote or advertise their business (often getting their business cards or menus to pass out to friends/neighbors/work associates - if the goods or services provided warrant a positive referral. This restaurant has not only not kept our future business, but has also lost the customers that my family would have sent their way, had we had a favorable experience there. The food was just o.k., but by no means was it worth the rude treatment we received.

Visited March 2012
3 Thank madjack81

Pensacola, Florida
“Best Specialty Sandwiches in Pensacola”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

I found this place based on the reviews from another site. I decided to give it a try. I'm glad that I did. The sandwiches are great. I had the Kitchen Sink and it was all that I could eat. Their specialty is the Big Daddy, but I haven't tried it yet. The Cubano is also very tasty. It's the best Cuban that I have had north of Miami. It is a small place, only about 4 tables and 4 booths and is only open for lunch.

• 5 of 5 bubbles