“I found the DUMP!”

Ranked #42 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
here
“I found the DUMP!”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Oh where do I start??? First, I was never positive that I found the correct hotel until I saw a very small, cheap vinyl sign stating the name of this place due to the lack of signage! Then, after being greeted by an empty pool and lobby I tried to check in. The only thing I was not asked was my gender! After completing a long registration form, I was informed by a lady that seemed lost that I have to give them a $25 deposit and that it had to be put on a credit card as if I were at the Hilton! Then is when I opened the door to hell! What was wrong with the room well let's see. How about I tell you what wasn't wrong! After all, I don't have all night to write this review but I want you to know what you're getting into. Well, the bed was not too bad. If you lay on it diagonally you won't fall off. Luckily I brought my own blankets, pillows and towels because they didn't have enough! I was okay with not getting housekeeping for in a place like that I wouldn't want anyone in my room to begin with. The room had a perfumed smell when I walked in that lasted about an hour! Out came the smell of moldy, musky whatever it was! Let's just say I didn't stay long and it took over a week to recieve my $25 deposit.

Room Tip: Do some research before booking online!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
EMEasyRest, Owner at The Lodge at Pensacola, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
We certainly appreciate this guests comments.

First, as many of our guests are aware, we are in the process of converting our hotel to a Choice International, Econolodge franchise. Therefore, as per our contract with Choice, we have had to remove and order Econolodge signs. This is why we do not have a lareg neon sign presently at the front of the hotel. As a temporary measure we have put up a large vinyl sign so uur guests can find us. We apologize if our guests find this disconcerting.

Again, with resepct to the pool, it was drained for about a week a while ago while we were finalizing it for opening---- which we did on Memoridal day Weekend. Our new pool is open with new furniture and all required amenties.

Many of our guests aboslutely love our beds and bedding, as we try not to use bedding that people generally see in the chain hotels. Most guests find this refresing and comfortable.

Lastly, every hotel in the world authorizes cards for guests deposits for incidentials and room damage, etc... the differeence is we are upfront about it and tell people the limited amount we authorize while all other hotels generally do not inform their guests and/or charge/authorize larger amounts. We do not actyually charge the deposits, so we are unsure why it would take a week for the guests to get money back that we have not actually taken. Oftentimes, if Guests use a DEBIT card rather than a Credit card, the guest's bank will remove those funds and the bank will hold them (not us) and then it is up to each bank and their policies as to when they return those funds. We do not obtain the funds or have control of such. This again is the same at every hotel.

We strive to have our rooms be clean, comfortable, and do so at an affordable price, with many amentities, including a seasonal pool, free coffee (in room and in the lobby), guest laundry and vending, free CABLE TV (expanded) with Free HBO and free WiFi, amongst others. All at a very afforable price.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Attempted to stay here on 5/19/12. Booked room through Hotels.com. The first thing that hit us when we waked into the lobby was the strong musty odor of mold, mildew and cigarette smoke emmanting from the carpets. Then we were greeted by a long dead flower arrangement which was the centerpiece of the "lobby". The pool outside was in cracked disrepair and had no water in it. Based on these first impressions we asked to see the room before agreeing to stay there. The hallways smelled just as bad. The first floor is actually basement level with the rooms being half underground and half above ground. This half-above-ground design gave our room window an oil-change technician's up close view of the tires and under carriage of vehicles in the parking lot. The room's DO NOT look anything like the professional photos on the hotel's website. They were outdated and smelly with peeling paint, and a dirty, dingy toilet, tub and sink. I wanted to get pictures of the room because it was so bad but we wanted to get out of there quickly. We told the front desk clerk that we were requesting a refund from Hotels.com based on the condition of the hotel. This hotel is advertised as being "newly renovated". The reality is there was nothing new about the entire property, It's scary to think what it actually looked like BEFORE the renovation. I think the dead flowers in the lobby said it all. They received about as much care and attention as the rest of this blighted property.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before you pay for it or agree to stay there.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravelBabeNOLA
EMEasyRest, Owner at The Lodge at Pensacola, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
We take pride in our property and in insuring a wonderful stay for our guests.

Our pool is seasonal and was not open until Memorial Day weekend. Therefore, we had drained the pool and were updating/renovating as part of the process of completing it for opening, which is why there was no water in the pool, etc., as this guest mentions. The pool is now open and the pool deck furniture is brand new.

Though the first floor is ground level, there are no rooms that are "under ground" or even half below ground, as this guest states so we are a bit confused as to this comment, and any comments that the hallways or carpets smelled like smoke (we only allow smoking on the third floor rooms). This entire property was and continues to be extensively renovated. In terms of the bathrooms, currently many of our bathrooms are entirely brand new (new sinks, new flooring, new tubs, new toilets, etc..), and the rest of the guest bathrooms, while in very good condition, are currently in the process of being replaced.

Many of our guests praise our rooms and bedding as being exceptionally clean and comfortable.

Travellers are raving about these Pensacola hotels

Gretna, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 20 May 2012

First of all the site page says that it is Newly Remodeled what a load of crap!!! Second when you call and ask for information they tell you one thing then once you get there it's something different. Don't get me wrong what Mark L said was right the bed was comfy, but thats about it. Another thing if you are looking to go swimming this is not the place for you. Yes they have a pool, but the cement is all broken uo the stairs are messed up oh and did I mention there is NO WATER !!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Lariza O
EMEasyRest, Owner at The Lodge at Pensacola, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
We appreciate guest reviews, especially those that may be critical.

Please note that our pool was listed and has always been seasonal. This is listed on our site as well as in signs when guests check-in. Until recently, the pool was not open as it was being remodeled. This may be why the guest saw there was no water in it and some small cracks. .

As the season has now begin, the pool is now fully open and all of the patio furniture is new as well. .

We have spent over $350,000 to date remodeling this hotel (exterior, common areas, and interior rooms). Many of our rooms have completely new and remodeled bathrooms with brand new tubs, sinks, and vanities. We continue to expand our renovations to all of the rooms. Shortly, every room will have a new bathroom.

We are happy the guest enjoyed the comfort of our beds. We take great pride in insuring that our bedding is comfortable and that our guests enjoy a comfortable stay. We spent a lot of money on our beds and bedding to ensure they are better than most top hotels you may stay in.

Our rooms are comfortable, clean, newly remodeled in most cases. You get free wifi, HBO, and the pool use as well as other amenities. We pride ourselves on providing a five star experience at an affordable price for our guests.

Pictures of the remodeled bathrooms and the pool will be put on the sites shortly.
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I had no problem getting to the hotel unlike some of thw reviews. Its all the way at the end.
They have definitely made improvements to the outside of the building. So it doesn't look like the Google street view.
Service was EXCELLENT. A man with a gold tooth was extremely helpful and kind.
Rooms are pretty good I didn't have any issues besides the bathroom floor had some kind of residue on the floor. It felt like it was oily. Probably wrong kind of cleaner.
Beds were soooooo comfy. And I have a tempurpedic mattress at home.
About 20 mins from Pensacola beach and 14 from Walmart. There is a HUGE MALL about 15 mins away. Every store you can imagine.
Stayed in 116 or 216 I don't remember. This is not a hotel I would bring children to but great if you just need a place to stay while your having a great time in PENSACOLA FLORIDA!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank zachzacharyzak
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I have stayed in many hotels, especially on business trips and vacation and this one was really one of the top 3 worst ever hotels I've stayed at! My family has been relocating from WA to FL and stopped at the Easy Rest Inn and I was very much disappointed and upset with the accommodations.

With my GPS I went round and round in circles where it was "supposed" to be, but it was kind of hard to find. It's in a location with lots of other hotels and motels, but their sign was not up so I assume it was either broken or did not work. The outside does not look cared for at all - the sign is torn down/broken and the windows, walls and parking lot outside are dirty and don't seem well cared for at all. The lobby smelled like mold/mildew and was hotter than outside, even with their air conditioning on - I felt sorry for the receptionist. She was very nice and they did have two rooms with two queen beds, like we reserved earlier that day. They did ask for a surprise $25 deposit for each room/night. Also, just as an FYI for travelers, they only have coffee (and sometimes juice) in the morning, NO BREAKFAST!!

Unfortunately, there are no elevators and we were on the second floor, which is difficult for my dad to walk up and down because he's got a bad knee. The Inn inside looks and feels more like a really cheap weekly/monthly apartment building; going down the hallways you can hear what folks are saying/doing in their rooms because the walls are so thin, it smells like a combination of smoke and mildew/mold, and feels like the walls and ceiling need a good scrubbing and new coat of paint and the floors deep cleaned.

Going into the rooms, one smelled of mold and the other had a faint smell of smoke, both of which were non-smoking. Upon first evaluation, the windows in both rooms were OPEN with NO SCREENS, which is NOT good because FL has many bugs and insects that are nuisances and/or poisonous and can come in through the open window. The bathtubs had dirt stains (black) along the bottom and didn't look like they were washed at all, the shower heads had calcified so much it didn't look safe to use, so my family decided NOT to shower that night, even though we had traveled more than 800 miles that day and really wanted and needed to shower. The sink faucet is not properly designed for the sink so our hands were rubbing against the side of the sink every time we had to wash our hands. The floors did not look clean and so we all wore our shoes, even for potty breaks in the middle of the night.

Now, if the bed was clean and I had a good night's sleep I wouldn't really care about the rest of the issues - unfortunately, when turning the covers, I found small curly hairs (like pubic hair or "baby hair" or something) in the sheets. I went over to the room my parents and brother were staying in and my brother's bed had hairs of all sizes in his sheets!! We stripped the beds and asked for clean bedding, which I had to go downstairs in my pj's to get because the phone in the room didn't connect to the front desk at all. The receptionist gave me new bedding and while my brother was able to go to sleep, my new sheets didn't seem to fit as well as the dirty bedding did. ALL the linens are stained yellow (they're supposed to be white), so I don't know how old those sheets are, but they need to clean them and bleach them, or burn them and get new ones. In any case, I slept on top of all the covers in my clothes because I still felt the new bedding was not clean enough.

I suppose there were two good things about the Inn. One, the air conditioning worked very well and cooled the hot room fast, and secondly, the pool looked clean. Unfortunately, we could not use the outdoor pool because we came in late in the night and left early in the morning. They also have a VERY strict check-out policy ($25 charge per room after 11 am.).

All of this being said, the Easy Rest Inn is definitely in the top 3 WORST places to stay at, out of all of my experiences of staying at hotels and motels. I do NOT recommend staying here - go to another hotel/motel....ANY other place would be better!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank lizzie g
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This is a great place for the price. The room was clean, the front desk clerk was kind, and it is in a nice location. All the rooms are inside corridors, so it is safe, too. Granted, our expectations were low since the price was so good, but what more can you ask for than safety and cleanliness? We asked for extra towels and a hair dryer and were granted them with no problem. A coffee maker comes in the room, but there is also a sparse continental breakfast (there were pastries and coffee) in the lobby. WiFi was not working in our room but it was working in the lobby area; we were told that they often have WiFi issues there. Don't expect anything fancy for this price, but it is a nice place for anyone on a budget who wants a safe, clean room.

Room Tip: We had a room with 2 queen beds. I think because the price is a couple dollars more, they are less u...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank SunshineDiver
Robertsdale, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I stayed here on December 31,2011. I was on the third floor because we had a smoking room. They charged us a 25.00 dollar deposit which was not a problem for us to put up. The problem started several days later when we did not get our deposit back. I was told that the reason why they kept it was because i was trashed my room. If leaving five beer bottles on a counter and one wendys bag is trashing a room then im guilty. I can not believe that the maid would lie and stay that i would trash the place. I used to be a housekeeper and i would never do that. Need less to say Dont stay here they will take your deposit money.

Room Tip: Dont stay here they will take your money.
Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank Rebekah N
EMEasyRest, Owner at The Lodge at Pensacola, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Customer feedback is an integral part of our process and the principle goal of our hotel is to provide an enjoyable, safe and comfortable place to stay at an affordable price. We certainly appreciate candid reviews and each comment we receive, whether good or bad is taken very seriously and acted upon immediately.

With that said, we are not willing to sit back and allow this person to make false statements about our hotel. The fact is that when the housekeeper entered the room to clean it, she stepped out to get the executive housekeeper so she could be a witness to the condition the guests left the room. There were beer bottles everywhere in the room including outside the window. The linen was ruined because it was burned with cigarettes or something. We found traces of illegal substances (which we are very strict not to allow in our hotel) all over the table. Our housekeepers filled two 55 gal bags full of trash from the room. Obviously this guest used our facility as a party room and not as a sleeping room.

It is not our policy to charge guests for no reason, and we would always prefer not to, as the amount of damage or less. However, in this case, there was excessive cleaning necessary and the room was not able to be rented for a few days because of the smell and mess leftThe time it took to clean the room and the damaged linen far exceeded the $25.00 the guest was charged.

It should be noted that the guest specifically states that her stay was fine. She had an issue with our charging her for execessive damage. To start the review with the title she chose, under these circumstances is not only unfair but quite misleading.