“Pick This Place If You Have Dogs”

Red Roof Inn Pensacola - West Florida Hospital
Ranked #37 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Hands down the best Red Roof I have stayed in. Have two pugs. Usually Red Roof policy is 1 dog in the room - but they didn't seem to have a problem with two small dogs. There is a large grassy area around the parking lot to walk the dogs.

We opted for a king size bed, with desk, mircrowave and small fridge. Room was updated and the desk was a good size to work at for business travelers. They also provide free wi-fi.

We asked for a room on the main floor - so we didn't have to lug the dogs, dog stuff and baggage up the stairs - and they accommodated us. Had people on both sides of us - didn't hear any noise thru the walls or ceiling.

All of the staff were very nice. Got a "have a blessed day" every time I saw one of them.

The reason I'm giving an Average and not a Very Good is the location. No activities for children except ChuckeCheese next door, no pool. 20-30 minutes to the beach. So, don't book this place thinking you are getting a cheap beach hotel. Map says 7 miles to beach - but it really takes 20-30 minutes. Not a lot of food options close by - just fast food and Waffle House. A good 15 minutes to downtown Pensacola.

And the bed was very very hard. Woke up with a sore back.

Room Tip: As for a room facing away from the road. Quieter. Easier to access grass area to walk dogs.
1  Thank tdh42
jtipton, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Pensacola - West Florida Hospital, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Thank you for all the pleasant things you had to say about Red Roof Inn West Florida Hospital. I am so happy that you family and pet family enjoyed your stay. We were just renovated so yes the bed are a bit hard. I hope in your future travels you stop in and visit again.
Kindest Regards
J.Tipton

Reviewed 20 February 2013

I would like to start by saying that this was my first stay with Red Roof Inn. My husband is in the Navy based in Pensacola, and I try to visit him at least once a month. This was only my 2nd time going to visit him and thought I would try a hotel other than the ones on base, just to shake it up a bit ;) My mistake. I myself work front desk at a hotel and so I would like to think I have some idea on how a CLEAN hotel room should look. I would also like to add that I am never one to complain. I once received the completely wrong food order at a restaurant and proceeded to eat it anyway, no complaints to any of the staff.Having said that I knew that upon checking the room out that for our health I could not go without saying something.
Upon pulling the sheets back from the bed we found curly black hairs over the fitted sheet as well as on the 4 pillowcases. Both the mirror and TV had smudged fingerprints and on the TV it looked like at one point something had been spilled on the screen and hadn't been wiped up. Taking a glance at the microwave and fridge you could clearly tell that they had not been cleaned. There were greasy fingerprints and smudges on the outside left over from a previous stay. Whether the one before us or the one before them, I do not know. Upon looking inside I was appalled. I could deal with forgetting to wipe down the outside of the microwave and fridge, but also not cleaning the inside??? There was very obvious food residue inside each. I asked my husband to call the desk to ask for new sheets and pillowcases and also for some all purpose cleaner and a rag so I could clean the room myself. He also told her specifically about the fridge and microwave. She said she would send housekeeping to our room to clean up.
So as not to be in the way we left for dinner, upon returning we noticed right away that the bed had been made. As we inspected further we were dismayed that nothing had been done with the either the fridge or microwave. I sent my husband to the desk for some cleaner and a rag and when he returned went to work on cleaning our room. I am still kicking myself for not taking a picture of the rag afterwards. Surprisingly this was not the tipping point.
Somewhere in the middle of the night a couple checked in to the room next to us and proceeded to argue most of the night into the early morning. Since the walls were paper thin this kept my husband up all night. The next morning I was woken to the sound of the gentleman next to us coughing up a lung. We immediately decided to leave our room to get breakfast instead of sleeping in and relaxing. Our room had an adjoining door to the room next to us (arguing couple), and this is where I had my luggage. As I was picking out my outfit I smelled something strange and very pungent. Upon getting my husbands opinion we concluded that the smell was Marijuana. Needless to say this WAS the straw that broke the camels back. We found a nearby hotel, booked a room, and got the hell out of dodge! We did mention the Marijuana to the front desk ladies, since we did not stay I cannot say what was done about it. Sadly this has marred my view of Red Roof Inns, even though I know it's not fair to judge them all this way on one bad egg, however I cannot take the chance. Since I booked this room on priceline the front desk was not able to refund any of the remaining 3 nights, yet we still chose to eat that cost, rather than stay the next 3 nights.
On a good note the hotel we moved to was amazing, VERY CLEAN, and SINCERELY smoke free.

2  Thank MrsHenders0n
jtipton, J. Tipton General Manager Mobile North at Red Roof Inn Pensacola - West Florida Hospital, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Please accept my apologies for the condition of your room at the Red Roof Inn West Florida Hospital. There is no excuse for the condition of your room. I will share this review with the staff at the hotel and look into who cleaned your room. I am sure if you called priceline they would refund your money. If you need any help be sure to contact me. Again I am so sorry for the condition of your room since this was your first stay with Red Roof Inn. Please think about giving us another chance to show you this was out of the ordinary.

Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

When making the reservation we adviser the person we were a band and would be arriving in the wee hours of the am which thy said would be no problem. When we arrived , we were not greeted yet given a very nasty attitude by an African American woman named Deborah. She informed us she had cancelled our room and that there were other rooms available but we should have been there between 11-12 pm which was never told to ya when making the reservation. She had the ugliest attitude I could ever think of. We tried joking with her even after our annoyance and she snarled and said "I don't have time for this, I'm trying to close out my paperwork here" then she told us our room numbers and we asked if they were side by side and she refused to tell us. We also asked her named even though it was on her tag an she still ignores us. We arrived in our room and it was very tiny, had hairs on the beds, toilets didn't flush, sink drain was clogged, no lock on bathroom doors, no hair dryer at all, very run down and old. We couldn't be more disappointed. The next day we went into office to talk to manager and another girl on duty said she wasn't in and would not be in at all for the length of our stay. There was a card on the desk with the managers name, Marleen and a phone number. The phone number went straight to the front desk and there was no cell, email or basically any way to contact a manager. This place is a disgrace to customer service!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank joliebelle
jtipton, General Manager Mobile North at Red Roof Inn Pensacola - West Florida Hospital, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Please accept my sincerest apologies for your recent stay at Red Roof Inn West Florida Hospital. There is no excuse for the treatment you received. The current general manager is out on medical leave but myself and other general managers will be watching this property and I promise that the situation you incurred will be dealt with. At Red Roof Inn we strive to make your stay as enjoyable and pleasant as possible. I hope this instance will not prevent you from giving us another chance. Again I am so sorry for this situation.

Reviewed 19 February 2013 via mobile

Terrible hotel, dirty and smelly. Looked like a crack motel or a brothel. I was scared to stay there. The only good thing was it was centrally located but there are much nicer hotels in the vicinity. I was afraid to touch anything and to sleep on the bed. I will never stay there again

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank gonzalea
Reviewed 16 February 2013

This is my first Red Roof Inn. We were going to a conformance which would last till 10pm and restart at 8am the next morning, so we decided not to splurge as we would not be utilizing any facilities.

I was surprised at how modern and stylish the room was, especially the light fixtures. The beds were very comfy and the sheets clean and soft. Something weird was going on with the way the beds were made, the blanket between the sheet and bedspread only comes up to your knees unless you get out of bed <yawn> and untuck it. Thought it was a mistake but both beds were alike.

The carpet and bathroom floor were both very clean, I felt comfortable enough to walk around in bare feet.

There were a couple of issues with the housekeeping. 1) the clock did not work, the battery was pulled out and laying beside the clock next to the battery compartment cover. 2) There was some odd sticky stuff on the night stand near the dismantled clock that looked like cough syrup. 3) The lid on the toilet tank was tilted back and visible was a band of some ugly black stuff, but once lid was inplace, it was completely invisible and easy to ignore.

I'll be curious to see if in a few months all of the new fixtures and features have held up with the lack of attention to detail.

I'm stuck between rating this a 3 (average) or a 4 (very good) I wish there was simply a "good" in the middle

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
jtipton, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Pensacola - West Florida Hospital, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Thank you so much for the nice review you wrote on behalf of the Red Roof Inn West Florida Hospital. I am so happy you first experience went so well. Please if in the area again, don't hesitate to drop in.

Reviewed 14 February 2013

Stayed at this hotel in January and had a most pleasant stay. Be sure to use the coupon that is available in the hotel coupon magazine. Very reasonably priced. Hotel staff was pleasant and room was clean.

Room Tip: We were next to the office.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
jtipton, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Pensacola - West Florida Hospital, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

I am so glad that we were able to make your stay with us a comfortable and happy one. I hope you liked our newly renovated rooms. Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. I will look into the wash cloth and wifi situation. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
J.Tipton

Reviewed 11 February 2013

We frequently stay in Red Roof Inns because we travel with our dog. This hotel can compete with any of the big chain hotels. It was very updated, clean, HDTV flat screen. Good location and plenty of space.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review for our Red Roof Inn West Florida Hospital. We strive to make our guest happy and comfortable along with their four legged friends. Please, if your in the area again stop by and see us. Thanks again!