“It's closed”
Review of Havana West Cafe - CLOSED

Havana West Cafe
Cuisines: Cuban
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Unfortunately the owners had to close this restaurant. It was a really good place to eat. I wish they would open another place here in Pensacola.

1  Thank Eduman4260

Reviewed 23 March 2013

Havana is an excellent restaurant if you like traditional home made cuban food. We have been there several times and it has always been delicious... the atmosphere and service are great too!

1  Thank Rutg357
Reviewed 30 November 2012

My husband and I were wanting something different for lunch, so in perusing TripAdvisor for ideas, I came across info for Havana West Cafe. I don't recall ever having Cuban food before myself, but my husband loves it, and I'm usually up for trying new cuisines. As another reviewer noted, the address on Hwy. 98 is wrong. It's now located at 3670 Barrancas Avenue, and if you aren't looking for it, you might miss it, because it's in a very small building and doesn't have a ton of parking. Don't let this stop you from trying it, though. When we arrived for lunch, there were only two other diners there, but by the time we left, the tables were full with what seemed to be regular diners, and a few people had come and gone for take-out orders. My husband ordered the ropa vieja with yucca and black beans, and I ordered the lechon asado with moros (black beans and rice) and chicken soup, which is like the soup version of their arroz con pollo. OMG, was the food good! The server was really nice and patient in answering our questions and making recommendations, and she definitely steered me in the right direction. When I first got my meal, I was hesitant because I thought the lechon asado looked dry, but in reality the meat has a ton of flavor, and the sauce on the side (I'm guessing olive oil, garlic, and some other seasonings) is great on it. I tried my husband's food, and the ropa vieja was delicious and moist. The yucca was incredible, and I wish I'd ordered that myself. It had the texture or consistency similar to a potato, but it was cooked with onions and olive oil, and it was fabulous with almost a buttery taste to it. The soup's broth was incredibly flavorful without being too salty, and it was full of rice, veggies, and chicken. We live just a mile from a large number of restaurants, and Havana West is probably five miles away, closer to the west side of town where we never go, but I'd go out of my way to eat here anytime. Support small business and eat good food!

3  Thank elarbol
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Street address is incorrect if showing hwy 98! Call them for directions, they are on Barrancas a few miles from old location.
Parking leaves much to be desired and seating, but it is like stepping into a genuine Cuban street cafe! Food, service and prices cannot be beat! You will not be disappointed!

3  Thank Solidreformer
Reviewed 29 April 2012

My boyfriend and I pulled in here because he was starving and it was the first place we saw on this road that wasn't fast food (which we typically don't eat). Both of us ordered the pulled pork, which was incredibly flavorful. I even had enough left over for another meal! The meal came with two side items - I ordered white rice and black beans, which were pretty typical. My boyfriend ordered the yellow rice (delicious) and green plantains (even more delicious than the ones he makes at home, which is hard to top!) The service was excellent! The man who waited on us was very patient with our questions and even gave us recommendations. We will definitely be back here again!

5  Thank MB122918