“Can't get enough”

National Naval Aviation Museum
Ranked #1 of 107 things to do in Pensacola
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience the magic of flight at the National Naval Aviation Museum! See over 4,000 artifacts and 150 aircraft representing Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Aviation. Ride the flight simulators or catch all the drama and power of amazing IMAX films. Dine in the authentic Cubi Bar Cafe and take home the spirit of Naval Aviation with a unique memento from the Flight Deck Store. Spend a cool day inside the Museum and experience Hands-on-History! New Naval Air Station Entrance: All visitors to the National Naval Aviation Museum, Fort Barrancas and Pensacola Lighthouse who do not possess a Department of Defense identification card or are unescorted by the holder of a Department of Defense identification card, will be required to enter the installation via the West Gate located off Blue Angel Parkway.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Jasper, Indiana
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Can't get enough”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Was all the way over in Dauphin Island Alabama, but had to drive over for the day to see the Blue Angels Practice and walk through the museum again. I think I could spend several days here. So much history and technology to see.

When you go to the atrium and see the 4 F-4 Blue Angel airplanes hanging in the air, know that they are actually farther apart than the real Blue Angels are when they do their diamond in the air!!

Visited June 2014

• Turkish first
O'Fallon, Missouri
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great family time.”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

When my husband told me we were going here l thought, oh great another boring place. But I was wrong. It was very interesting. Even our 5 year old granddaughter had an awesome time. We would definitely ngo again. The staff was very knowledgeable. And it was free! If you are in the area you have to go.

Pensacola, Florida
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Very pleased”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I'm not a huge military or aviation fan in general and neither rid my 11 year-old daughter but we decided to go anyway to check it out. I was very impressed with the place and to my surprise, so was she. I initially anticipated spending maybe an hour there but we stayed for three hours and could have stayed longer if we didn't have other things to do.

The sheer number of aircraft housed here is amazing and they do a nice job of keeping things simple. The Smithsonian and other large museums are wonderful for those looking to spend a day or two reading and learning about anything and everything but sometimes you just want to browse and that's where this place stands out. There is a lot of knowledge to be gained but it is presented in a way that keeps the interest of younger ones (simple and to the point signs, hands-on exhibits, etc).

Last but certainly not least, the admission is free! There are iMax shows and simulator rides that cost money (as well as a cafe), but even they are reasonably priced ($8.75 for adult iMax ticket, $6 for simulator, etc...). It's not something that I personally would go back to on a regular basis but I would definitely return in a year or so.

Monticello, Arkansas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Free Attraction and Loads of Fun”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This attraction is free but worth the whole day of free fun. My child loves airplanes and this museum has a lot of them in it. They have planes that you can sit in or tour the inside of. On Wednesdays at 11:00am the Blue Angels practice flying. It's worth watching, but make sure you bring ear plugs. It's very hot out where you watch them and I can't stress to you how hot. So, bring lots of water, umbrellas for shade, and sunscreen. The museum was so big that we didn't get to tour all of it, but its worth coming back too.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Tracy M
Spanish Fort, Alabama
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Absolutely the best museum ever!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

What can I say--this is the best free museum I have ever been to. We come here every chance we get--and we always bring friends here when they come to visit us. You could conceivably spend all day here--there are that many exhibits to look at. We enjoyed looking at the newer exhibits in Hanger Bay One--President Nixon's & President Ford's Marine One, an exhibit about Women in the Naval Air Service, and the POW exhibit. We have taken the trolly tour out to the flight deck area and watch the planes take off an land.