“Excellent food. Original Japanese owner and real japanese chefs”

Yamato Oriental Cuisine
Ranked #363 of 674 Restaurants in Pensacola
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
pensacola
“Excellent food. Original Japanese owner and real japanese chefs”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was surprised to hear that this restaurant has been here for almost 40 years with the original owner and original chef- all Japanese. If you like the real Japanese taste, this Yamato is the only Japanese one that I know that is real Japanese. Some Japanese restaurant are own by bachi , Vietnamese, Korean, , etc. -- this is the only real Japanese. Their chefs has been there for more than 30 years, including some of the waitress-- Mamasan. I have the best sushi and hibachi dinner with six of my guest and very happy. I'm retired Navy and has been stationed in Japan for 5 years and know what is real. The Tatami room (seat in carpet floor) is like being in Tokyo. The tuna, shrimp, and oktopus are truly fresh and delicious. I love the miso soup and tuna rolls. You have to call early for reservation for the hibachi table-- we waited for awhile. Recommend more hibachi during weekend. If you like to taste the real Japanese-- Yamato is he only one I know.

• Visited May 2014

Florida
“Plum Wine...Of Course, Hibachi Too”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a regular hibachi go to for me when I'm in the area. LOVE isn't a strong enough word. The food is so good. There is always plenty of it. My favorite are the Japanese "hash browns" (sprouts). I get the chicken (always), but occasionally sneak steak off the mate's plate. Did I mention they have the best plum wine of any hibachi place I've been to? I don't know what they buy and serve. It may be the cheapest stuff on the planet, but I love it!! Then comes the ice cream at the end. The chiefs are always entertaining and nice. I like that I come here, and it isn't some lame dude pretending he can do this.

Visited May 2014
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Pretty good food”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I went for the sweet and sour chicken and teriyaki steak. The food was great the fried rice was not ver flavorful. The soup was great.

Pensacola, Florida
“I'll be the first”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We tried this place in 2012. It was very dark in the hibachi area and I kept catching things moving on the floor out of the corner of my eye. The place didn't feel very clean at all. The hibachi chef was nice and the food was decent, but I couldn't get past the dirty sketchy feeling of the place. It may have changed since then, but I won't be returning.

Visited December 2013
Enterprise, Alabama
“Great Hibachi!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We were visiting town for a few days and wanted Japanese so we went here based on TA reviews. Our chef was awesome, he was very entertaining and even talked to our son about the business since he is wanting to go to culinary school. I liked that they served lots of bean sprouts with the meal in addition to the usual rice, veggies and meat. My filet was cooked perfectly. The service was great. My only disappointment is they did not offer the usual 2 different sauces that I have gotten at other Japanese restaurants. I missed what I have come to call "Yum Yum Sauce". lol!

• Visited July 2013