“Eat here while you can . . .”
Review of Hip Pocket Deli

Hip Pocket Deli
Ranked #99 of 674 Restaurants in Pensacola
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Hiawassee, Georgia
“Eat here while you can . . .”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

On November 13, 2013 we ate at the Hip Pocket. The owner informed everyone that they were to meet with the lawyers after work to find out if the state of Florida DOT will buy them out and force them to close their place on January 1st. Progress???

This was the second time my wife and I have eaten lunch here. Both time it was well worth the trip from Gulf Shores. The lamb or chicken Gyros are excellent and are not to be missed. If you have an aversion to garlic, choose the sub instead!! The interior is kind of a shrine to the local navy population. There were always young navy personnel eating here. The walls are filled with pictures and patches of various navy outfits.

• Visited November 2013

Memphis, Tennessee
“Great meal”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Went there for lunch today and it was awesome!!! Service was quick and friendly. Food was amazing. Very affordable.

• Visited October 2013
“Being your best appetite!”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

No small portions here. Even the teeny sounding burger was as big as a dinne plate! Quick service, be prepared to know exactly what you want as soon as you come in. The owner is quick on the draw.

• Visited April 2013
Stephens City, Virginia, United States
“Skip This One”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

In a recent first-time trip to Pensacola, my wife and I decided this was one place we had to try. The review online were great, the food looked good, and the menu had plenty of things we were excited to try. Unfortunately, although the place had a cool vibe, our experience at Hip Pocket Deli was far below our expectations.

Upon first arrival, we were displeased to find out the deli is cash-only. This wouldn't be as off-putting if they had an ATM inside. Instead I had to go down the street to a bank to pull out cash.

Secondly, there are so few seats inside the actual restaurant. It wasn't even that busy and we still had to wait for a seat to open up. I can't imagine what you would do if the place was packed, as there is no outdoor seating available either.

Lastly, the food, while flavored ok, was soaked with grease. My wife had a gyro salad and I had a Reuben, and I honestly don't know if I've ever seen that much grease on a food item. My sandwich was so soaked with grease the bread fell apart in my hands. It made the sandwich difficult to handle, and to be frank, it looked so unappealing that I had a hard time forcing myself to eat it.

Needless to say, we didn't finish our food and definitely would not return during a future visit.

• Visited February 2013
Pensacola, Florida
“Food is great”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I always go with the gyros with fetta. The prices are reasonable. Not much tables to sit, so would recommend getting there early. They accept only cash.

Visited January 2013