“Disorganized with overpriced, bad food”
Review of The East Hill Yard - CLOSED

The East Hill Yard
Cuisines: Chilean
Reviewed 13 July 2013

First things first: this place was an absolute madhouse when we walked in the door, and every customer seemed to be very aggravated. Apparently a lot of them had been waiting a long time for their food--well over 45 minutes, according to one older couple who was ready to walk out. We asked the only employee we saw how long the wait was. Sweating and flustered, he said it was self-serve. I clarified by asking how long is the wait on food was, and he replied, very curtly, "Well, what do you want?" We said we didn't know because we haven't seen any menus, and he immediately said we had to order in the back room. Then he just ran off. The only reason we stayed is because my girlfriend's sister said we should check the place out. We later found out that it was because she thought the place looked cool, she hadn't actually eaten there. Waiting in line to buy two beers, a chicken sandwich and beef tamale took 17 minutes. It took another 52 minutes to get our food and the tamale made me upset to my stomach. My girlfriend didn't even finish her chicken sandwich. If you happen to be in the neighborhood, do yourself a favor and walk right past The Yard to O'Zone, which is in the same building and has amazing food and quick, friendly service.

1  Thank Michael P

Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Very eclectic, cool atmosphere. Love the "yard". It's a semi- self serve restaurant. They have a wide variety of wines, beer and non-alcoholic beverages. Place your order, pick your spot and grab your food when your name was called.

I have to preface this by stating that i love to cook! We ordered guacamole - it was ok. It could have been more flavorful and salted. I had the chicken and beef tamales. They were good, nothing to die for. A half portion pf the tamale was served. I've actually had better "whole" tamales that everyone "dies for". My husband ordered the pork tamale, which was very good. The fish taco was good as well.

I would come back for lunch, but not for dinner.

1  Thank PlaneFlyGirl
Reviewed 31 May 2013

What a treat! We went for a quick bite, ended up with a bottle of wine and had a blast. The outdoor seating is awesome and so is the service. I had tacos (bacon, avocado and cheese- how can you go wrong?!?!) and my husband had the tamales which he said were to die for. The prices are so reasonable and this place is just a lot of fun. I feel so lucky to have a place like this 10 minutes from my house!!!

1  Thank Wanderlust3483
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I love the authentic food of the Y@rd. I had a fish taco (mahi used) and a pork tamale. The cream of squash soup was very tasty and perfect for the chill in the air at night. I like that everything is a la carte so I can mix and match whatever I want to eat. They have a nice, eclectic bottled beer selection and my Kona ale was a perfect match for my meal. Mmmm, enjoy!

Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

The Yard, as it is more commonly called, is a great addition to the Pensacola restaurant scene. It is located in the East Hill neighborhood at the edge of the historic Sacred Heart Hospital, the original not the one by the mall. The set up is what is really great. Unlike a traditional restaurant this is self-serve, kind of. You walk into the beverage area, for lack of a better word, and pick what bottle of wine or what beer you would like. Best part, no corking fee. I chose an organic IPA. The beer selection was great. You then order your food and pay for your meal and drink up front before walking out into "the yard" to find a seat. Your name is called out when your food is ready and you pick it up at the window inside. Sometimes they will run it out to you, if they are not busy. There was great local music playing when we went. Another bonus was the yard was fenced in and very kid friendly. We have a three year old, so this is important. The food was great. We ordered two fish tacos, which were fantastic; a pork tamale, which was good, but I've never had another one to compare it too; and a hotdog for my daughter. The hotdog was large and grilled and I took a bite because it looked so good. And it was. All told, a family of three with two beers: $20. The beer was discounted that night. But still, fantastic place. Will be a regular.

1  Thank Nic S