“Surprise!”

Courtyard by Marriott Pensacola Downtown
Ranked #17 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My stay was salvaged by the manager on duty. I'm not completely soured on the Courtyard brand after dealing with her. First, I had an inordinately long wait (4 check-in's deep) at check in after a 7+ hour drive because there was only one person manning the front desk. It's too bad the 3 hotel employees socializing in the dining room couldn't have been trained to help.

Then I experienced the most horrible mistake I've ever experienced at a hotel. I returned to my room a couple of hours after check-in only to find it was occupied by someone else and my bags were missing! That's a surprise noone wants! I am grateful the person had apparently just stepped out (room was still a bit humid from recent shower!). It saved a great deal of embarrassment for us both! Apparently, I had been given the "wrong" room and my bags were moved to the "right" room while I was gone. The manager, however, understood my vexation and handled the problem professionally and comped me appropriately. I don't know if she was prepared to see me, but surely someone had to go through her or another manager to change my room and bag location in the first place?

The room I ultimately was assigned was decent and clean with a pleasant layout, and I even stayed my second night, as planned. It was missing a channel directory and apparently this Courtyard location doesn't supply body lotion in the bathroom either. The room-darkening drapery is also riddled with pin-sized to eraser-sized holes. Fortunately, they weren't large enough to disturb my sleep, but was distracting enough for me to actually count the holes as if I were counting sheep. I was pleased to find they had all manner of soft and firm standard sized pillows, however, as opposed to those ridiculous square ones found in so many hotels today. All in all, I'd say the hotel is definitely overpriced (at the rate i paid for the second night) and the staff, for the greater part, either need better training or managerial/owner/corporate support. It may be worth a stay due to location, but I'm not convinced I'll return on my next trip to Pensacola.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott Pensacola Downtown

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Location is fantastic, rooms are large and very nice, the lobby is comfortable with sofas and a fireplace, and the staff is friendly. Everything you could ask for in a hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and it is the only place to stay in town. Don't even bother with the Crowne Plaza. The rooms are nice, the fireplace in the lobby is a nice touch and the Staff are great. All of the front desk staff are nice and attentive to the guests needs. Belinda from sales does a great job with special requests.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I stayed here one night while on a job interview, its close to lots of good resturaunts and Sammys. its right on the bay with some good views. Its an older Courtyard that has been updated, so the rooms are a little small. But i have no complaints and it within walking distance to mcguires I

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank chrishA9591KC
Reviewed 21 September 2011

This is my 3rd time staying here over the last 3 years. Location is about 10 minutes from the airport and convenient to my work downtown. Staff was very friendly and the room clean. The breakfast was around $7 for the cold bar and $9 for the hot (made to order omelets, etc.). Rooms were large, big flat screen TV, free WiFi/plug internet and a fridge. Within walking distance of Outback, Meguire's and a few other spots as well as a Circle K gas station across the street for a late night snack. Great for a business trip.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We only stayed here one night, arriving late and leaving fairly early. Had to wait a fair bit of time to get checked in as the front desk person was in the back office. The noise outside the hotel was a problem, as were the holes in the blackout drapes which prevented us from sleeping in as long as we'd have liked. Lobby is not the updated Courtyard lobby. The bed was very firm and didn't seem to be the typical Marriott mattress....first time in a while I've seen that. Tub did not drain well at all.

Pros: lots of parking and convenient to interstate.

We are moving to Pensacola so won't be in need of lodging here anymore, but probably wouldn't stay here if we did. The other Courtyard up north was a lot more pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Texas2011a
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Several of us stayed at this Courtyard for 2 nites (a Friday and Saturday.) We were scuba diving in the area that weekend--and there are great scuba options nearby if anyone is interested in that sport. The rooms were larger than most, spotless, and comfortable. AM breakfast included freshly made omelets and waffles, plus all the ususal hotel fare. Pool was crystal clean and not crowded--lots of room to catch the sun. Fitness center on site seemed more than adequate (though none in our bunch was working out that weekend.) Bar on the premises. The staff is extremely helpful--guided us to very good restaurants both nites, and even gave us free appetizer/dessert coupons for one of them. Ice and drink machines were working, lobby market had extra goodies, and also right across the street from a well-stocked convenience store. Great location--1/2 street off of the water with easy access to downtown Pensacola and to Gulf Breeze (across the bridge.) We stayed here several years ago, and halfway expected the property to show some wear. (Beach-goers are not always the neatest guests.) But hotel was just a lovely as it was 3 years ago. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank BamaDiver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pensacola
Pensacola Grand Hotel
Hampton Inn Pensacola Beach
Hampton Inn Pensacola Beach
#7 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Pensacola West-Navy Base

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Pensacola Downtown? Share your experiences!