“Excellent Room, Needs Better Service Staff”

Pensacola Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
Florida
“Excellent Room, Needs Better Service Staff”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Thanks to good Trip Advisor reviews I wasn't totally put off by the general appearance and lack of attentiveness of the front desk staff who seemed below the standards one would expect at a first class hotel. By contrast,w e found our room to be very clean and tidy with nice furnishings and a terrific view of Escambia Bay. We didn't hear any trains until after we awoke in the morning though the location right beside the railway could bring nocturnal freight trains (only a few pass each day). Other plus features included ample free parking and the presence of multiple luggage carts as well as the beautifully restored former L&N train station that serves as an ante room and the hotel lounge in one corner of the building. We were surprised when the housekeeper knocked at 9:30am despite a do not disturb sign to inquire when we would be leaving and returned an hour later as if to hurry us along. Overall, a great property but the front desk manager should watch Hotel Impossible for tips to spiff up the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the bay away for a good view and to be away from the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SilverStar092

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Livingston, Texas
Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise when I arrived here yesterday . Beautiful old hotel. Great service, priced right.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank bflip
ocaladan
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and it was wonderful. The desk clerks were always so helpful and the pool and fitness center were very clean. The lounge had free popcorn which was a nice touch but the best part were the elevators. They quickly arrived when I pushed the button and as soon as I entered and hit the floor button, we took off faster than the pods in the Jetsons..no wait!! Loved it!! Great place to stay for business, families, or a getaway.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My stay here was 4/11-4/15: My gripe before even arriving to the hotel was the fact that they took the entire 5 day stay at once. Now from what I've been told this is becoming the norm for hotels taking money before you even arrive. After arriving the front desk attendant informed me that she needed to see my CC and ID--I obliged and later found out from my husband that the hotel was holding another $200 dollars on our CC for incidentals. I think it would have been nice to at least inform me. Now, again, I'm not a regular traveler so maybe this is the norm. After being checked in and luggage upstairs I observed the room. The room was nice & clean. I went to shower and my bath water settled in the tub. I called the front desk and immediately someone was up and fixed the problem. After a shower & long flight, I decided to check out my view...we low and behold...freaking train tracks..right on the back of the hotel. Let me tell you, I was PISSED!! I did not spend the money I did, to have a train to wake me day & night. This was so frustrating. I feel like they should at least tell you about the trains coming through so you are prepared but I guess that's the cost of doing business--if you are told you may decide to go somewhere else. I was never able to see the gift shop because the shop was always closed. The restaurants food was actually pretty good. My first night I had jerk wings...those ended up in the trash..way to hot and just not to my liking. The No 2 breakfast was delish, I had that for 3 mornings--waffles w/pecans, eggs/w cheese, & bacon. You do have a coffee pot in your room & fridge. If you order room service for breakfast and want coffee it will only come by full or half pot--not by cup. For dinner I enjoyed the po boy shrimp sandwich...shrimp were huge and everything was nice and hot.
The hotel is definitely historic but quite beautiful & elegant. There is also a library inside the hotel (kind of remind you of a full library in someones home)..really nice!! There are several restaurants near the hotel, less than a mile away if you desire something different. Not far from the airport--maybe 15 mins!! The staff was extra friendly--no complaints there!! There is a full bar but I never went inside to check it out!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Karena_Jax01
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The train station that serves as the lobby, bar, and restaurant is extremely beautifu; truly something special. The room on the 10th floor overlooking the downtown and harbor was great. The breakfast in the hotel restaurant [1902 or something] was fantastic. The egg benedicts with the fried green tomatoes is a must. Prices are very reasonable; especially, for a hotel. Overall this hotel is great but the rating is diminished because the bathroom was exceptionally small.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Sanford, Florida
Reviewed 18 April 2012

By far one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in. Excellent service, great room, and amazing restaurant too.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Berry, Alabama
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Not my first time at this Hotel and there's a reason why. This place is awesome! You enter the hotel via the old L&N Train Station. It's a great mixture of Old and New. The view of Penscola Bay is Amazing from the 11th floor and up. The Civic Center is just across the road so it's a great place to stay if in town for an event and just a short walk to downtown.

Room Tip: As for a lower room number, 01-04 on a higher floor. Stayed in 1103 and it was a corner room with b...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Derek B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pensacola
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola / I-10 Pine Forest Road
Residence Inn Pensacola Downtown
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Beach
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Be...
#1 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola/Gulf Breeze
Courtyard by Marriott Pensacola Downtown
Hyatt Place Pensacola Airport

Been to Pensacola Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!