“Pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Pensacola
Gainesville, Florida
“Pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Spent a night here recently while in town for business and I was regretting the fact that I haven't been staying here in the past. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this facility is. It's a very nice setting for a hotel,and a very nicely decorated lobby too. Didn't try the restaurant that's on site since I was drawn to McGuire's right down the street, but it looked nice and the menu looked good as well. Did stop in at the bar in the lobby,and it was nice with friendly staff,and good beer selection on tap. The rooms are nicer than average hotel rooms ,and I got upgraded to the 14th floor for being an elite priority member. Staff at front desk were more than nice when I was checking in,and went out of their way to welcome me . Nicer all around than average Holiday Inn's and I will certainly stay again when in the area.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs if you're a light sleeper due to the trains passing nearby.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jeffoe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

The Crowne Plaza Pensacola is certainly one of the better hotels in town...but it's in a dead zone, right across from the convention center. It has a set of active railroad tracks running just noth of the property, and if you are a light sleeper, this may be a problem.

The room was certainly nice enough, about average for what one would expect from a Crowne Plaza in the states. I would suggest this hotel more for business than pleasure.

Room Tip: Avoid the north side of the hotel, railroads tracks are just a stone's throw away.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear BillyMaysHere,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

Built next to the old L&N train station, the hotel uses the station as it's lounge, shops, offices, restaurant and meeting rooms. The rooms themselves are in a tower next to the hotel.

The "needs some work" refers to the elevators (one was very sketchy - it would go up in spurts). The room itself was a corner room and had a hallway to get to the sleeping area. The views were pretty good.

One warning - there is an active train track right next to the hotel (it is literally about 30 feet from the building). The only rooms that face it are corner rooms, but even on the 9th floor away from the tracks, the train was a bit loud. I would definitely avoid rooms on the lower floors.

Bedding was very soft. Bathroom looks like it was updated fairly recently.

The restaurant food was good, which is a good thing as there aren't really any restaurants close by (though historic downtown is certainly within walking distance).

Room Tip: Avoid floors that could make it hard to sleep with the active train track next to the building.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Enterprise, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

I would have given the hotel 5 circles except for one small problem. We were meeting another couple at the hotel and I made the reservation. At check in the other couple had not arrived. the Assistant Manager was outstanding asking if I wanted adjoining rooms and he said he would make a note with the name of the other couple so at check in there wouldn't be any confusion. When they arrived the note was ignored and they were assigned to a room on another floor. That in itself was tolerable but at check out they still had my billing information on their bill. The Assistant manager had called and apologized for the mix-up before checkout but the billing error still occurred.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We had a great reunion and the hotel provided all we needed. The location was walking distance to old town. The staff was certainly friendly and provided us with anything we asked for. The rooms were cleaned every day, coffee provided. All in all it was a good weekend. One that we will remember for a long time. A good place for reunions.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

It was my first time visiting the hotel and I have to say it did look shabby on the outside. I was pleasantly surprised once I ventured inside. I was transported to a time of brass and glass and dark wood. It was opulent, it was beautiful, it was Pensacola of by gone days. There is a small circle route you can walk, from the entrance to the lobby with a lovely bar to your left, towards check in turn right just keep looking around its' like a small well appointed atrium. Down further on your left is the library. Another right turn and your standing in front of the 1911 restaurant as I was just yesterday. A very nice lady came out to greet me and asked if I was hungry and I was so I sat down for lunch. I noticed there was a fish of the day so I asked what it was and she said the right variety for me and that was grouper. I have to say, Ive been around the ocean my entire life (28 years in the Coast Guard), and that was one of the best fish sandwiches I have ever eaten. I am definitely going back there again.. The prices are very reasonable as well. Great value for your money. Another right turn and the small but nicely appointed gift shop is on your right. Just a little further and your back in the lobby. It was so nice I went around again. If your in the area it's definitely a great destination for lunch and a drink. I think the whole place is on a big upswing and the sky's the limit.

Room Tip: I did not sleep at the hotel just met there for business.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Destin, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

This 14 story building, the tallest in Pensacola, looks tired on the outside, but on the inside it is a polished gem. The tower was built onto a late 1800's train station that must have been the fanciest in the entire region at the time. Everything has been lovingly cared-for, with a restaurant, bar and gathering places added for big events (the civic center is right across the street). The rooms are well-appointed with touches you won't see in the cookie-cutter hotels. Everything is clean, and the bed and linens in our room were so crisp, smooth and wonderful. There is a heated outdoor pool on the second floor roof! The desk staff are so friendly too. The prices are lower than the chains as well. We will stay there next time we are in town!

Room Tip: Even though its first come first served, I think a smile might win you a bayside room on one of the...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sailingfamily32541
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pensacola
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola / I-10 Pine Forest Road
Residence Inn Pensacola Downtown
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Beach
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Be...
#1 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
#2 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,078 reviews

Been to Pensacola Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!