“Not so nice and professional at the registration counter”

Pensacola Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
Enterprise, Alabama
“Not so nice and professional at the registration counter”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The hotel was tall, thus allowing us a room on the 12th floor with a great view. Loved how the whole side of the wall was glass down to the floor. Lots of pillows; bed was comfortable; room was clean. Hotel was right downtown in the old part of Pensacola and was a perfect location.

The ladies at the registration counter, no matter the time of day nor what we were doing, were dressed casually and not in a uniform that matched each other, and were not too friendly in checking us in. When I asked about directions to a locale, they only provided a very bad copy of a map of downtown. That was it. No offer to help locate it on the map and there was no one else in the lobby for them to help. Late Saturday night we got more interaction with the security guard to include getting the elevator for us than the lady who was half asleep at the counter. They were just very unprofessional looking and acting. When we did check out Sunday morning the staff at the registration desk seemed awake and happy to have a job yet they too were not in any type of dress code.

For $130/night at Crowne Plaza, we could have received better service if we had stayed only five minutes out on I-10 at one of the many $80/night hotels instead. Very sad to see what use to be a better grade hotel going downhill through sloppy management of their registration staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for the view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa B
Derek H, Director of Sales at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
First off, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our goal is to exceed every guests expectation in every area. I have forwarded your comments to the GM and the Guest Service Manager about the employee appearance. We will examine this concern immediately.
We hope that you give us another chance. If so, please call and ask for The Director of Sales direct. Very Respectfully.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The overall experience was just OK. We booked a room (had confirmation) with 2 queen beds for 3 adults for 2 nights and received a room with only 1 king bed. We were told they were booked and couldn't move us to another room and that all of their roll-away beds were checked out. We had to ask for linens to make a pallet on the floor, for an adult, but were not offered any help. We also asked to be moved for the 2nd night and were told that if the few rooms that had 2 beds checked out the next day as planned we could be moved, but if they requested to stay, even though their reservation was not thru the next night, they had 1st opportunity at the room!! We had a reservation for the next night but those people did not, and according to them they must have all stayed because we still did not get moved! However we asked for a roll-away and got one the 2nd night and at no charge only because I told them we weren't paying for it! The customer service was not the best I've had & none of the people cared too much that we had 3 adults, 1 of which is 72, did not get what we paid for nor any concern or respect for our situation. The room itself was clean and relatively comfortable, but definitely not as nice as I expected from this hotel chain. The parking was absolutely the worst I've seen at any hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank gentre
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I was a little surprised by the feedback so, I have reviewed your reservation.
The room type that you reserved was not guaranteed, in fact, on our website, as well as third party websites it clearly stated:
" STANDARD ROOM
When you arrive at the hotel we will do our best to meet your room bed type and smoking preferences these are subject to availability and cannot be guaranteed".

The weekend you stayed we were at capacity. I spoke with the Front Desk Manager. They sincerely attempted to accommodate you and your family; and they explained everything verbally that I wrote above. The type of room that you wanted to stay in wasn't available as they had been reserved. We not only strive to always do better, but to take responsibility when we make an error; however, in this circumstance, we honestly did nothing wrong.
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The people that staff this hotel are top notch and will go well out of their way to make the stay perfect as possible. DJ that worked the front desk told me the best place to get great flowers, gave me an upgraded room, and ensured my flowers I had delivered to the hotel were the center piece of the room when we arrived. Highly recommend the hotel to everyone that needs a room in Pensacola.

Room Tip: Great the suite - great views
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so kindly for sharing your thoughts. Our Award Winning property works very hard at exceeding expectations. Thank you for letting us know we succeeded.
Hope to see you again this summer. We'll have a warm smile waiting for you!
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel just accross the street from the civic center. Older hotel, but well done. Did not eat in the restaurant, so cannot comment on that. Staff was very accommodating. Comfortable beds, rooms have refrigerator and coffee.

• Stayed March 2014
Brooks, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I usually stay there once or twice a year to check on family. It's always been great no problems at all. We've always had a corner suite so lots of room to enjoy. I know that the hotel is close to train tracks but I have never heard a train pass by. I'm usually there on weekends. If I was there on business maybe the trains would affect my sleep but so far it has never been an issue.

Room Tip: Stayed there several times while visiting family. Very nice location and facility. We have always ha...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Elba
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the Crowne Plaza with my husband and young children. This a beautiful historic hotel. I loved all the original decor in the lobby. My kids loved the revolving doors. The hotel is close to downtown activities and businesses. We could see water from our room, but no beach. The room itself was very clean and nicely decorated. I would have loved to give this hotel the highest possible rating, however...There is a serious insulation issue between the rooms. My husband and I were awakened at 2 AM by 2 women who had been out partying all night. We could hear EVERY WORD of their vulgar conversation. They may as well have been in the room with us. This went on for about an hour. That, coupled with a hard bed, meant that we did not rest well before our alarm went off at 7 AM. I would not have stayed a second night in that same room. Although I may return to the hotel, I would not stay in a room with an adjoining door next time. Lesson learned!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Linda S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Linda S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the noise levels prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tampa
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My subject line pretty much says it all... I absolutely loved this hotel but got no sleep because of the trains. The hotel itself was beautiful, had historic charm that was out of this world, the beds and pillows were wonderfully comfy, the room and bathroom amenities were gorgeous and clean, and the location was close to the beach and also to nightlife downtown (not that I was there for either of those reasons, but I did note the shops, cafes, and nightlife that was available for other visitors).

The problem was, I was there for work and had to be up at 6am for a training I was leading at the school district office. Unfortunately, I couldn't fall asleep due to the trains that seemed to run non-stop throughout the night. If it were just some chugga-chugga noises, that would have been one thing... I can sleep through that... but, no. It was horn blasting all night right outside of the window and it seemed like it would just never end. Around 3:30am I finally drifted off but I woke up every half hour to hour until 6am thanks to the train blowing and to my own fear that I wouldn't hear my alarm go off. I was a zombie the next morning and felt sick to my stomach from how little sleep I was running on.

That said, it really pains me to give this beautiful gem of a hotel such a mediocre score but the whole reason I was there was to get sleep and to wake up feeling rested before my big presentation and that definitely was not accomplished because of the trains. :-( On a plus note, my shower was phenomenal (GREAT water pressure and plenty of hot water), the staff were fantastic, and the library they have just off the lobby was absolutely perfect for my colleague and I to meet to review plans for our school district visit the night before our big day. Oh, and the price was fantastic! Again, it is just a shame that the trains ruined my stay to the point that I cannot EVER imagine staying there again for fear that I would not be able to sleep again. This really says a lot since I am the HEAVIEST of heavy sleepers. Seriously, I couldn't believe that I, of all people, would be affected by the train horn noise, but it was just so frequent and so loud that there was no tuning it out (and I was on the 14th floor-- I can only imagine how much worse it was on lower floors). I guess I can no longer say that I could "sleep through a freight train" because, clearly, I cannot.

So, while this hotel has the charm of a historic building (I understand it used to be the old train depot... which makes perfect sense now) and was wonderful in just about every way, I can only give it an average rating. So sorry, Crowne Plaza Pensacola Grand. You really are a gem that deserves more. :-(

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank debbiesdreamtrips
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear debbiesdreamtrips,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the ambient noise levels prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pensacola
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola/Gulf Breeze
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola / I-10 Pine Forest Road
Courtyard by Marriott Pensacola Downtown
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Beach
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Be...
#1 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
#2 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Residence Inn Pensacola Downtown

Been to Pensacola Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!