“Good experience, will return”

Pensacola Grand Hotel
Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We booked 2 rooms here for a last minute family trip. I had never stayed here before. I was impressed with the facility-it's a historic property and very attractive. I was impressed with the desk staff. Our representative went to extra trouble to find us 2 rooms on the same floor. The rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable.
The negatives: one elevator still out of order after more than a week (and the hotel was very full), a train whistle DOES awaken you at 3:45, and there is no included breakfast.
Still, the positives prevail- I would happily return.

Room Tip: I read that higher floors were quieter- I was only on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Derek H, Sales at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

We are very grateful for your four star review. We aree also very happy that overall you still had amazing stay. thank you for your time as it is irreplaceable and we hope to see you again

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Check in was super fast, got upgraded to the 2 story suites on 15. Room is very nice comfy bed, large shower with jacuzzi tub. Location is decent but not the best. Train rolls through at 3:45am blasting the horn the whole way. Bar downstairs is a little long in the tooth could use a refresh, service was decent pours were not up to the prices. Great hotel with a lot of history.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

first, thank you for a four star review reguarding you experience with us. Did you enjy the fresh popcorn provided at the bar? its a great addition to a nice drink! we greatly appreciate your time and hoe to see you again!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Located in the former L&N railroad station, I'm guessing as part of a redevelopment project. Wonderful, interesting building with lots of charm and character. Rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable. Front desk was great - they gave us a couple of "wooden nickels" for free drinks!

Only downside is that there is still an active railroad track nearby with some associated noise. No big deal for us - we're sound sleepers - but something to be aware of if you're not. Also, internet was leisurely.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for a four star review! Yes!, in fact the former railroad station was built in 1912! We are extremely stoked about your grand stay and hope to see you here with us again!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

My first night at the Crowne Plaza, Pensacola was nightmarish. If you continue to read other reviews, you will no doubt, discover that there is train noise that will likely wake you in the middle of the night. I did what I could to arrange for a room positioned out of train earshot, but the long and short of it is that there is no avoiding this obnoxiously loud train that will undoubtedly wake you at least 3 times at night/early morning. Worse, for me, was the loud traffic that was right outside my window. Unfortunately, for the Crowne Plaza, the hotel must have been built before the freeway was erected a few hundred feet beyond the property line. The view from my window was underpasses and overpasses with motorcycles, trucks, etc. whizzing by. (See picture) Additionally, there was a man in the next room speaking loudly on a speaker phone which came through the adjoining door loud and clear! I did not sleep at all that first night (although security did come up and quiet the man) and was especially concerned that I had made reservations for other family members who were to check in the next day. I was determined to check out, cancel my other family reservations and to find another hotel.

The next morning, I had the good fortune to speak with Ashton at the front desk. I told her of my plan to seek out a quieter hotel elsewhere, but her cool head prevailed. She looked to see where there may be another room that was further away from the noise and beckoned the bellhop, Randy, to show me the alternative. He was very cheerful (as were all the employees at this hotel) and showed me the new room with pride. I was sold and agreed to the upgraded alternative. Ashton also explained where my other family member rooms would be, and we agreed that they might be OK. As it turns out, my other family members were not put off by the loud traffic noise and were only mildly inconvenienced by the unavoidable train.

The moral of the story is... the hotel itself, is very clean (great job... housekeeping!), historically interesting, and out of the beach fray during my visit which happened to be Spring Break. The key is to stay at a time when the A/C runs all night and blocks out the sound of the freeway traffic. (My first night was cool and the A/C only turned on sporadically.) Additionally, the rates seem very high for the inconvenience of the noise and the dingy city view.... and Crowne Plaza should really revisit this. I could have had a very nice hotel room in Pensacola or nearby Gulf Breeze area with a beach view at a rate comparable to my upper level 'mini-suite' with a view of the freeway, railroad tracks and convention center. I give the employees of this hotel (especially Ashton) a lot of credit for staying positive, despite the complaints that they must receive about the location/noise.

Despite it all, I walk away giving it a good review... a huge 'save' by the employees! :) I hope that the Crowne Plaza gives them the recognition that they deserve!

Room Tip: Try for a room on the back side of the hotel. You won't avoid the train noise in any room, but...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear travelingfun101,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to note your kind comments about the hotel cleanliness and excellent staff. Your feedback has been forwarded to the hotel management and we are confident that our staff knows what a great job they have done and also ensure they are recognized for their efforts.

However, it's regrettable to hear that your stay was negatively impacted due to the noise. We try our best to ensure all guests have a great stay and undisturbed sleep. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. We appreciate your candid feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest experience. I sincerely hope this incident will not deter from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is a beautiful historic hotel in a great location, in downtown Pensacola. The lobby, restaurant and lounge are all part of the old train depot with some period pieces and old photos which added to its charm. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. Our room was clean, roomy, and very comfortable. We could see the ocean from our room. And, possibly because we were on a higher floor we were not bothered by the train sounds. We only ate one breakfast in the 1912 Restaurant and had room service one evening, the food was good and wait staff very friendly. We will definitely choose the Crowne Plaza Pensacola Grand when we visit again.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter, you do not hear the trains, and you can see the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy K

Thank you for the five star review, we are pleased to have met your needs and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is beautiful with all the amenities. Great views of downtown Pensacola. Very friendly staff and a good deal for the location and accomodations. Nice hotel bar downstairs. Also noticed a quiet zone on the 10th floor.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Derek H, sales at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I always stay at this hotel when I visit Pensacola for leisure or business. I have tried other properties off and on the beach and this property is clean, the staff at the front desk has always been very nice and the rates are reasonable. The only complaint is the bathroom is dark and needs a light above the sink or in the ceiling. I will continue to stay here as long as the hotel is very clean and the staff is nice. Cleanliness and modern rooms are my priority. Thanks again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Derek H, Director of Sales at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to write a review about our property. Our cleanliness scores put us in the very top of all Crowne Plaza's in North America and we're grateful you felt the same. We're also currently ranked third in the U.S. of all Crowne Plaza's in overall service and it is so refreshing to hear that you had a great experience. We love our guests from Alabama and can't wait to see you again. Thanks again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pensacola
Courtyard by Marriott Pensacola Downtown
#7 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
#2 of 10 in Pensacola Beach

Been to Pensacola Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!