“Great One Night Stay”

Pensacola Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Nice older hotel - Seemed liked it may have been a fancy hotel in its hayday. We had a very pleasant stay at the Crowne. This was perfect for a one night stay, downstairs lounge was nice, still smelled of old smoke (when you could inside) a bit but did not bother me. Service was nice. Close enough to walk to several restaurants - felt safe even walking at night in area. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Stayed on 14th Floor was nice.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kelly B
Derek H, Director of Sales at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Good Morning from Florida to Georgia. Your wonderful review was the perfect way to start out a brand new work week. I have already printed a copy out and distributed it to the staff.
Next time you're near, we'd love to have you again........for a one night stay or even a week.

There are newer reviews for Pensacola Grand Hotel

Reviewed 30 June 2014

First time staying here. Was $200/night less than the beach hotels. About a 15 minute drive to the beach depending on traffic. Very nice hotel, Heard the train noise mentioned in other reviews a couple times during the day, but never past 10 at night. Very good night's sleep. Beds were comfortable. Rooms had a refrigerator, but no microwave, which I found odd. A few minuses on this hotel, you could hear ANYTHING said in the hallway, and if you were in the hallway you could hear anything being said inside the rooms.. Also when the doors close, they slam HARD. I mean, if you are leaning against the wall sitting in bed, it will actually shake you. Could also hear through the walls easily. Fortunately we had quiet neighbors (other than the door slamming). I could see how your trip may be ruined if you got stuck next to even moderately loud neighbors. Our tub backed up severely with water when we took showers, but I never remembered to report it, so I can not complain because I didn't give them a chance to fix it. All in all, was a good stay, and we would stay here again. Bar onsite was nice and not over priced at all. Close to several restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank grindjv
Derek H, Director of Sales at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us. Thank you for the review. There is real value in our property compared to a property on the beach during the high season. The title you used says it all:
"Great alternative to beach hotels". I have forwarded your comments on the bathtub drainage to our Chief Engineer as well.

We certainly hope to see you again soon.
Thanks again for staying with us.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was a repeat visit to this property, the last one being a couple of years ago (I have been in Pcola several times since I last stayed here).

In my experience Crowne Plaza hotels, generally, are of very high quality: this property is no different. (It does have the very cool advantage of having an old train depot as the entrance.)

I can't say enough positive things about ALL the staff. The reception staff was most friendly, perky (in a good way), very helpful, and just all 'round a delight. The maintenance man, whose services I need soon after check in was friendly and cordial; as were the housekeeping staff. I visited the bar each night of my stay and the bartenders were universally delightful.

The rooms, of course, are large. The room was well appointed, with new lines throughout. There was plenty of glass ware in the the room and bath. The shower-head was GREAT!

There was a problem with the Internet connection. I could not get reception on the room phone so I went to the front desk. The maintenance man was at my room before I got back up to it" problem solved in minutes.

On the downside, my room was on the 12th floor. There is some issue with a constant flow of water in the shower, as if there is a pumping problem. The hot water temp. varied from minute to minute. The elevators are a disaster, but they are being replaced so that issue will soon be eliminated.

If your visit to Pensacola does not require you to be on the beach I heartily recommend this property.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Derek H, Director of Sales at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Normally I am not at a loss for words; however, your incredibly kind review about your stay
has me there. We are so very grateful. When it gets cold this winter in St. Louis
please come back to your "Southern" home so we can warm you up with some more great hospitality.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Beautiful historic lobby areas. It is next to a working train track but I determined on my second stay that a room on the front side of the building seems quieter than the back side. Has everything you need for a great stay. Comfy beds and nice extra's in the good-sized room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek H, Director of Sales at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for your kind words. Thank you for your tips for the other traveler's.
As you know, our hotel is a high rise tower and you're right, the higher the floor
and a room in the middle will offer the best view of our beautiful and historic
downtown district. We honestly hope that you come back again soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

At first glance this is a very historical and ornate hotel. The lobby has beautiful chandeliers and the history of the train station origins is prominently displayed.
It went downhill from there. The front desk person was not the least bit friendly. Only one of the three elevators worked during our stay. I have never stayed in a hotel that you could actually conduct a conversation with the party in the next room without raising your voice. There was no way to sleep until they decided they were tired and shut up.
I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mary F

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you experienced noise issues
when you stayed with us. It would be helpful if you could call us @ 850.433.3336
Ext 5525 or 5550. If you would be so kind to call us and let us know the room number you stayed in, it would be very helpful for us to identify the issue and fix it for future
guests. Thanks again for taking the time to inform us of the issue.

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I was attending a conference with my wife and this hotel is the closest to the convention facility. For the most part, the hotel is what you'd expect for a Holiday Inn property. It was fine, but not great.

Hotel staff were friendly and efficient. The room was clean and comfortable. The hotel offered a twist, it was attached to a historic train station. This provided some interesting architecture.

The hotel restaurant was terrible. We ate there on Mother's Day. Our server was new and very under trained. This was exacerbated but the complete lack of management support for this struggling server.

Everything took 5 times longer than it should have. The orders came out wrong and it took for ever to get the error fixed. Patrons went to the coffee station and served themselves refills because they couldn't get service. After waiting over 25 minutes for the bill to come, I gave up and went to the check-out to pay. After advising the attendant about the situation, she simple said, "OK, sorry." No other action was taken.

We were only there for two days, so the restaurant experience had a significantly negative impact on our impression of the property.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Donald T
Derek H, Director of Sales at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

First off, thank you for selecting our hotel and for your kind words on the friendly staff and on the beauty of the property. I am sorry to hear about the restaurant experience on Mother's Day.
I have made a copy of your review and provided it to the Food & Beverage Director.
We hope you come back, the experience you described in our restaurant
is certainly not the norm.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Hotel rooms were very clean and neat. Bedding was comfortable and clean. Pool was clean and relaxing. Great location by bayfront, close to beaches and restaurants. Front desk staff were excellent and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up have nice view of bayfront. We were on 7th floor and had pretty good view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer E
Derek H, Director of Sales at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your kind words. I have shared them with our employees and managers
Our housekeeping staff is outstanding which is backed up by your words that the "Hotel rooms were very clean and neat. Bedding was comfortable and clean".
I have stayed at hundreds of hotels around the world and I agree with you, our front desk staff is excellent and helpful.
Please come back soon, we'd love to spoil you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pensacola
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola/Gulf Breeze
Courtyard by Marriott Pensacola Downtown
Hampton Inn Pensacola Beach
Hampton Inn Pensacola Beach
#6 of 10 in Pensacola Beach

Been to Pensacola Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!