“Never again...”

Ranked #33 of 63 Hotels in Pensacola
Chicago, Illinois
“Never again...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

We arrrived at 4am on a Friday and had no trouble checking in with the clerk. He was friendly with a smile. First impression of the room was a little dirty and dingy, but nothing a remodel wouldn't fix, so no big deal. We found a very large dead bug shortly after and were a little "creeped out" to say the least. The pool was right outside our door and was nice and clean. There were lounge chairs and multiple tables, some with umbrellas or in the shade, giving you options, which was nice. Unfortunately after a day or so, you could tell the cleaning crew leaves something to be desired. If you walk barefoot on the carpet for a few hours the bottom of your feet are so black it looks like you stepped in black paint. But what really ruined it all for us was the last night when I decided to straighten the sheets on the bed and found old used condom wrappers between the mattress and headboard. YUCK! I've never been so disgusted. For the price we paid, I expected dingy and maybe a bit rundown. I can even handle a bug or two and walking in sandals all the time, but I cannot handle someone's dirty condom wrapper in my bed. I will never stay here again and hope that they get new cleaning crews for all of you reading this that are going to take your chances anyway.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank SMancini82
Ajit65, General Manager at Days Inn Pensacola - Historic Downtown, responded to this review, 16 July 2011
Hi SJorgenson25

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and the feedback you provided was appreciated. I do want to apologize that we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory stay. Checking our guest database, I was not able to locate any guest with a name corresponding to the one you use on Tripadvisor so I did share your comments with all of our room attendants. I have also instructed the hotel maintenance staff to pull every bed away from the walls so that there is no repeat of the unfortunate incident you experienced. The room attendants do change linens regularly, but I must admit, the individual cleaning your room must not have pulled the bed away from the wall to make sure there was no litter, I am sorry for that. Our carpets do have a regular deep cleaning cycle, but during busy months such as June and July, some rooms do not get treated quickly enough and since many times, guests like to walk to and from the pool in their bare feet, some rooms may suffer, especially when they are in front of the pool. But please be assured we do have a schedule and make every effort to attend to the rooms promptly. Lastly, with respect to the bug, Palmetto bugs are common in the south and have a tendancy to be attracted to lights from the room, we have a highly reputable pest elimination company that treats our hotel, but bugs such as this may enter when doors are left open. It is unfortunate fact, but it is also something that can happen on occasion.

I know that my response was somewhat long, but I wanted to explain to you that we pay attention to our guests, and always respond to their needs. If you were ever to have approached any of my staff and expressed your concerns, I want to assure you that we would have made every effort to immediately resolve them to your satisfaction. Once again, thank you for your review, it has been shared with the staff, and we will fix our deficiences.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

Heading to the Last Shuttle we needed a mid-point to rest our head for a few hours!

When we pulled up it was late, but the staff was very nice and helpful. We had a room over the pool, but the rules were observed and were not disturbed by any noise.

Unfortunately we were next greeted by sticky carpets, a roach in the bathroom, uncomfortable beds and dirty (maybe mold) walls.

However, the beds were at least clean and for only a few hours sleep and passing through, it was okay for the price.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Jcontenta
Ajit710, General Manager at Days Inn Pensacola - Historic Downtown, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. It is always helpful to get feedback from guests so we can focus on improving the quality of our service. I do apologize that you did not find our beds comfortable and since this is not a comment we normally get, I would really appreciate it if when you get an opportunity, you contact me at 850-438-4922. I would like to verify which room you stayed in. Our beds actually exceed the Days Inn brand standards so I would definitley like to investigate this as well as the mold issue you mentioned. We do maintain our carpet cleaning on a maintence cycle that runs about 60 days but I will instruct my housekeeping supervisor to inspect all the rooms around the pool and determine which ones do need immediate attention. We always ask our guests at checkout if everything was fine with their staff so as to get immediate feedback but I did not see any comments that matched your review so hoefully you will make that call. Once again, thank you for your review.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

Don't let the nice lobby and fountain outside fool you. As we walked into our rooms I literally felt as though I had walked into the horror film Vacancy, I seriously checked the bathroom floor to make sure there were no hiddin doors. The place seriously needs to be redone, was a little affraid of sittin on beds or chairs in the room. I didn't get much sleep because of being terrified of being murdered in my sleep. The room was a bit dirty but the service was good, when we called for something they brought it in a decent amount of time . All in all I wouldnt come back if you paid me.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank bnardwife28
Ajit65, Owner at Days Inn Pensacola - Historic Downtown, responded to this review, 7 August 2011
No matter how hard I try to construct a fair response to to your review, I just cannot get past this one thing. If you are truely sincere and were really afraid, why did you stay. Who would check into a hotel and stay up all night in fear for their life????? There is a certain lack of creditbility here and the more I read your review, the less sense it makes. Upon your arrival, you could simply have immediately informed my staff (who as you mentioned are very friendly) that you did not feel comfortable and they would have directed you to another property more to your liking. We do not compel guests to stay, we are in the service business and will always do our best to insure that guests have a comfortable stay. I appreciate constructive criticsm but your comments have me totally confused.
Alabaster, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

Everyone who works at this hotel are always very nice.We have been coming here for years and will keep coming back.The staff are always willing to go the extra mile to make your stay great.Thanks to everyone at this hotel,and we will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms 112 or 114 are great.Right by the pool,you .
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

We loved this hotel. Good restaurant and tavern on site. The staff were friendly and the rooms were a little small but very clean. The location was amazing, we were able to walk out of the hotel to downtown. And it's not a noisy place, so we were able to have a nice sleep (matresses were comfortable as well). I would recommend this hotel to everybody.

Room Tip: try to get a coupon,but check availability first:)
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

Pensacola beach is my fav and only vacay spot. Every time we've been to Pensacola, 5 or 6 times over the past 7 or 8 summers we've stayed at the downtown Days Inn. It's only about 15-20 minutes from the beach and costs, like, a third of what you'll pay to stay at most places on Santa Rosa Island. It's not super fancy, but it's perfect if you need a cheap place to crash while spending most of each day on the beach.
The pool is nice, when it's clean. One year it wasn't very clean. The bar is fun, too.
And it's only about 5 minutes from McGuire's Irish Pub, which is a wonderful place to eat and drink.
This year we actually found a decently priced hotel on the beach and will be staying there, and I am excited, but a little sad not to be going back to this Days Inn.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kaybie
Kenner, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

Just few minutes from the Pensacola beaches! Great for night life, to go out, party and dance! Very freindly staff, rooms clean and nice))
They have a very lovely restaurant in the lobby of a hotel)) Cuisine awesome)) Definely worth to try! And as for the prices - best deal in the whole Pensacola!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple