“Met our modest expectations”

Days Inn Pensacola - Historic Downtown
Ranked #33 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
Atlanta
“Met our modest expectations”
Reviewed 27 April 2010

First, let me say I read most of the reviews here, and was nearly scared away from this hotel. The bed and breakfast inns we were interested in were already booked, and the rates here were low, so we took a chance. I booked the room at daysinn.com, and was informed that the booking was non refundable. We brought our own sheets, blanket and pillows, a can of Lysol spray, and flip flops so our bare feet wouldn't touch the carpeting. Checking in was nice, and a manager went ahead to make sure the room was clean before they released it. I told them we might only be staying one night instead of three, they said no problem, we would only pay for the nights we stayed. We found the room looking clean (the carpeting was a dark color, so we couldn't be sure about that), and the bathroom was clean. There were no bad smells, it was like a normal hotel/motel- incidentally, we stayed in room 262 which was in the lower building. We pulled down the covers and checked the sheets, they looked clean but we stripped off the covers and used our own sheets anyway. The room had a nice sized refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker, it was actually pretty well equipped and comfortable; a second chair would have been nice, though. An earlier review had noted the ice maker at their building was not working, it still isn't- so it meant a trek to the upper building for ice (the place isn't huge, so it was no worse than the big hotels where you have endless hallways to contend with. The pool area is quite nice, and we spent a sunny Friday afternoon there by ourselves. That is a clue- the place is deserted during the day because most of the guests seem to be working, and from the looks of them I'd say construction jobs, railway repair- blue collar, get dirty kind of jobs. After six o'clock, many of them were standing outside their doors with a beer in one hand and a smoke in the other. We found no problems, though, everyone we met was polite and quiet.
Breakfast is included, and it was your typical continental offering with bagels, toast, cereal, juice and coffee. A nice touch was a waffle iron with cups of batter to fix your own. Saturday morning they ran out of batter fifteen minutes before breakfast ended and the incoming guests were told they were out of luck- the orange juice had run out, too. I heard from a Pensacola resident that the Cajun dishes they serve in the restaurant at lunch and dinner are actually good, but we didn't try it.
The location is very good, right off I-110, (the motel is next to the interstate but it was quiet in our room) and we could walk to the center of downtown, and there is a residential neighborhood nearby with historic houses, a nice place to stroll. After taxes, our room came to $65 per night, and we felt it was a great bargain. We had friends that stayed in the Marriott Courtyard Downtown, they had a huge room and it was really nice and fresh, but they paid almost triple what we did. If you like oysters, check out the Marina Oyster Barn on Bayou Tejar- head east on Cervantes and it's to the left just after the bridge- great views, the fried mullet was good and the raw oysters were fresh (yeah, I know we took a chance eating raw oysters, but they were really good), and the place is fairly inexpensive.
Note: some of the rooms are ground floor right off the parking lot, I wondered if some of the dirtiest carpets were there.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
California
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I had the occasion to stay here for 2 nights while on a layover between a conference and returning home. I picked it out because it seemed close to downtown and was a great deal, at a rate of $59.95/night. I should have heeded my initial hesitancy.

The room was not very clean, with a layer of dust on the bedside table that I cleaned off myself with a damp cloth. There were a lot of marks on the walls, and the bathroom door looked like it had taken a beating. The hotel does allow pets, so maybe one had gotten bored and chewed on it.

Speaking of pets, one of my neighbors had some very loud dogs that liked to bark a lot. I had to call the office once to have them send someone to find out where the noise was coming from. There was also a lot of noise from the "club" that is located in the main office area. When I called to ask them about the loud music, the front desk person seemed sympathetic but said she had tried to ask them to turn it down and failed. I resorted to putting in a pair of earplugs.

The free wireless internet is pretty spotty; I never got a very strong signal. Don't expect to get a lot of work done with it.

The ice machine in my building never worked, so I had to drive to the next building over to fill up my cooler for the beach.

The second morning I woke up to no power in my room. The phone was also off, so I couldn't phone the office to find out what the problem was. I took a shower in the dark, and just as I was going to head over to find out, it came back on.

I never got housekeeping service in my room because someone put a do not disturb sign on my door after I had left for the day. Not necessarily the fault of the hotel, but an indication of the clientele. Generally speaking there were a lot of sketchy people loitering around.

The one positive thing about the place: I saw no evidence of bedbugs or cockroaches.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Stan4d
Virginia
Reviewed 28 January 2010

This was a very nice place to stay. All interactions with the front desk were great. The pool was clean. Breakfast had a lot of variety and the staff was great about refilling everything despite it being a busy morning. I would definatly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank dav12412
Georgia
Reviewed 9 November 2009

We stayed in this hotel when traveling for summer break in June. The room was clean, management was friendly, the reception staff were very helpful. This is an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
pensacola,fl
Reviewed 21 August 2009

my stay was great, the beds were comfortable, people were friendly,pool was very nice and clean. I would highly recomend this hotel .

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
detroit
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I was a little concerned after seeing some postings but I have to admit that my stay was enjoyable. We spent three nights and and were very happy with the accomodations and the staff was very courteous. The room was clean and the price was reasonable. The location was really convenient. We also had a great meal at Maguires. It is well worth visiting.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gills100
Atlanta
Reviewed 9 July 2009

This was the most horrific motel I have ever had the misfortune of staying in! It was almost as if it were out of some horror movie!!! By far the dirtiest bathroom I have ever seen. A neglected public bathroom would be cleaner than that one!!!!! If you read this and still choose to stay there you are a fool!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple