“Residence = unfriendly” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Pensacola
Helena, Montana
“Residence = unfriendly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Im a Gold Marriot member. I wasn't greeted fairly. I wasnt greeted at all. I was ignored for 5 minutes until another Marriot Team Member approached the desk (other than the one playing on her cel phone). The only thing stated to me was: ID and credit card. No personal contact whatsoever.
I asked for a feather free room as stated in my profile. This was not complied with.
I requested this again, and re-requested this an hour later, as I was ignored.
Apparantly, they were pre-occupied with something other than guest services.
I did end up getting 2 feather free pillows; that would be great if I were the only one deathly allergic to feathers . It sucks when you have to bring your own pillows on trips because the hotel is incompetent.
Did I say this was a reward stay? Grade 5 hotel my @ss!!!
I tried to contact the "Elite Service Line" multiple times. They are open 6 am to 1900.
No help whatsoever. Maybe if I call tomorrow............
To be continued> Im not utilizing a free reward room on a POS hotel. Im positive the Hilton Diamond desk would have corrected these errors.

Stayed August 2013 Value

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank timex_cowboy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

The hotel is located a 20-min by car from Pensacola Beach and have all sort of restaurants on a walking distance. The rooms are comfy (awesome king size bed) but not very spacious for a family of four: it is just right. The buffet breakfast (US style) is above average and probably the cook in charge is very good. They also offer free simple dinner (weekdays) for free (my family did not try it), different dishes from American cuisine. The pool is small but clean. The parking lot is large and there is always a parking space for you, even when the hotel is packed.

I really picked this hotel because of the kitchen available inside the room. You got everything you need (in a very tiny space, but workable) but the conventional oven. I have never had problems with the smoking detectors as well. Tip: 30-min by car you have a fantastic fresh fish market called "Joe Patti's". Just amazing if you enjoy cooking when you are on vacation.

The biggest problem is the cleaning service. I had the impression they only work for daily tips (I always tip on the last day, just to test maid services in hotels). We needed to beg several times for proper cleaning (see one of the photos the way they left the kitchen after the "cleaning") and to take the trash out. When you cook you really need someone to help with the cleaning. And it was not much: we used extensively the dish washer to minimized the mess. But these ladies were lazy and incompetent. Not Marriott quality standard at all.

We let the front desk know TWICE about this issue (the manager was never available), but they seemed not to care. Setting aside this cleaning and the lack of active management issue, the customer service overall was pretty solid and cooperative. I made a mistake on my reservation and got one day earlier. The front desk managed to find us a room even under high season! Nice.

If you don't cook like me and use this hotel just as a good location to get close to Pensacola Beach, I believe it would be a 4 stars.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
resinndt, General Manager at Residence Inn Pensacola Downtown, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. Our comfy rooms and fully equipped kitchens definitely make the Residence Inn stand out from other brands. I'm glad you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast buffet and appreciate the positive comments on some of our other amenities we provide as well. Thank you for informing us on the housekeeping issues you experienced while staying with us. I truly apologize for the inconvenience. This is not the kind of customer service we like to provide and have addressed the issues accordingly. We are continuing to do all we can to improve the Residence Inn and greatly appreciate the feed back. Feel free to contact me directly, if you would like to discuss this any further. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Best Regards, Christy Dixon (General Manager)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed one night on our way to Destin. The room was clean and comfortable, despite a problem with the thermostat. We weren't uncomfortable, but we couldn't get it to cool down as much as we wanted. The linens were clean and the breakfast was just fine.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Took my son to Pensacola on a special father/son trip. Hotel was clean and well kept. The staff (Carol and Christy) were terrific and very friendly. This will be my hotel of choice when staying in Pensacola.

Zephyrhills, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in a one bedroom suite. It was very clean and spacious for the 3 of us. The staff here are great, especially Carol. All staff are happy and helpful. We enjoyed the breakfasts they served. We were in town for a wedding. It was convenient to the church in downtown, the rehersal dinner in Gulf Breeze and the reception in Pensacola Beach. We really enjoyed our stay. Everyone was wonderful to us.

Jackson, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

We stayed for 3 nights this trip. It is your typical residence inn, clean, comfortable, and spacious. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We love that you can walk to several restaurants, like Another Broken Egg, McGuires , and Outback.This is a good location if you want to see downtown Pensacola, NAS and the beach. It wasn't our first stay and probably won't be our last.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WandersOff
Birmingham, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two week nights and I would be hard pressed to find anything to complain about. We had the two bedroom suite and brought a Golden Retriever with us-the hotel does charge the average pet fee. There was a welcome bag for Maverick, with doggie poo bags and treats. They also give you magnets to put on the door to let staff know there is a dog (a.k.a furry family member) in the room. We didn't want cleaning service but they made sure we had plenty of fresh towels, shampoos, coffees, etc.
There are great places to walk a dog around the area or just to go for a walk, period. There is a beautiful, emotionally stirring veteran's park behind it that has some incredible memorials. The hotel is also on the bay, so you can walk out to a pier. McGuire's famous Irish pub is across the street but other restaurants are also in walking distance, including a Brazilian steakhouse.

Our room was spotless. The furniture was a tad old in the living room but it was very comfortable. The kitchen was impeccably clean. We were downstairs for social hour both evenings which was really fun- the hostess and other guests were very friendly. I was impressed- I was expecting cheese and crackers; we had salad/beef stew one night and hamburgers and french fries the next. The hot breakfast was delicious and the staff warm and welcoming. There were lots of light options for breakfast (yogurt, fruit, cereal) although I have to admit I went straight for eggs, sausage, grits and a biscuit. Very good coffee.
We will definitely stay at this Marriott again and I would whole heartedly recommend it to others.
I am going to give "sleep quality" a good rating instead of excellent-the room was very quiet and comfortable but the pillows weren't the best ever. Pretty good but not great. Could be just a personal preference of mine, to be fair.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank AllieRK
resinndt, General Manager at Residence Inn Pensacola Downtown, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Thank you for your great review of our hotel and our staff. I have taken the liberty of sharing your comments with housekeeping and food and beverage employees. It's nice to know that they are "getting it right"! We are in the process of upgrading our pillows accross the Marriott family. By 2014 the standard pillows are going away and all beds will have king sized pillows. Hope you make it back to check it out. The beaches are looking great this time of year!!!!
Warmest regards,
Paul Martin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pensacola
Pensacola Grand Hotel
Pensacola Grand Hotel
#12 of 63 in Pensacola
Courtyard Pensacola Downtown
Courtyard Pensacola Downtown
#22 of 63 in Pensacola
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola/Gulf Breeze
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Beach
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Be...
#1 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola / I-10 Pine Forest Road
Hyatt Place Pensacola Airport

Been to Residence Inn Pensacola Downtown? Share your experiences!