“Not very clean and in a sketchy part of town”

MainStay Suites Pensacola
Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
LOS ALTOS
“Not very clean and in a sketchy part of town”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We liked how roomy our unit was--we had 2 bedrooms (with a Queen bed in each) and a sofabed, so there was plenty of room for 5 of us. It was also quiet and restful, and the breakfast was pretty good. What we didn't like was the location--it's behind a boarded up shopping mall, near several closed (or very run-down) motels--overall a very depressed neighborhood.

Also, our unit was dirty. I called the front desk as soon as we entered our room because there was sand all over the carpet and floors. The bathtub was also dirty. They said someone would come to clean--we stayed 3 nights and no one ever came to clean (we called 2 days in a row.) They don't offer daily maid service--it's more like condos that they only clean between customers, but clearly they only straightened our unit and didn't bother to clean.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank dyingtogetaway
MainStayPensacola, Manager at MainStay Suites Pensacola, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Thank you for staying at MainStay Suites in Pensacola. We are glad you stayed and we are happy that you reported being happy with the spaciousness of our rooms. We are also glad that you enjoyed our Hot Breakfast that is served daily in our Gatehouse. You also reported that our hotel was quiet and restful...which is definitely a plus at any hotel.

I was sorry to see that you listed not liking the location behind a boarded up shopping mall. The mall IS IN TRANSITION...I am sure the 3 open and very viable Anchor stores would rather see it reported as being a redeveloped outdoor shopping center with the old mall being torn down to make way for the NEW UNIVERSITY TOWN CERNER with new shopes and restaurants. We hope you will come back when all of these exciting changes are completed.

I was disappointed that our housekeeping policy was clearly explained at check in and you initialed this understanding on your registration, and that you still reported that as a problem. We are an Extended Stay hotel that is able to offer expanded amenities without higher rates because we don't have the added expense of cleaning every day. This is a NORMAL POLICY AT ALL EXTENDED STAY HOTEL BRANDS. The majority of our guests report that they don't do a full cleaning of their own homes every night and appreciated not being interrupted by daily housekeeping service. I am sorry if our policy of offering daily cleanings by request was not explained as it should have been.

Thank you again for being our guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Main Stay Suites is a wonderful place to stay if you are going to have some fun with your friends. We arrived at 11pm and were pleasantly surprised how friendly and proffesional check-in clerk was. Room by itself was really HUGE! We didn't find any issues, as far as everything worked just fine and room was properly cleaned.

Room Tip: try do not miss breakfast, it's delicious!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank liatan l
Reviewed 7 August 2011

548.00 for 3 nights included a 75.00 fee for our 6lb chug dog, but even without that fee this place is insanely overpriced given the fear factor of parking your vehicle there overnight. We chose this only because of a short notice chance to spend a few days near the beach, but this facility has ruined the town for our family. We will never return.

• Stayed August 2011
MainStayPensacola, Manager at MainStay Suites Pensacola, responded to this review, 27 October 2011
We are sorry that your stay was not to your complete satisfaction.

You asked with?? ? 548.00 for that? Here is what you got for 548.00 for three nights. You were in one of our Penthouse Suites that approaches 1,000 Sq. ft. and has 2 floors for sleeping areas and entertainment AND a FULL SIZED Kitchen. At no additional charge you were treated to a DELICIOUS Hot Breakfast bar each day of your stay. Yes...we do charge a pet fee so that YOU can bring your pet with you AND we can deep clean the room after each pet carrying guest leaves. Many of our competitors do not allow pets at all so most of our pet lovers are glad to pay the fee so FIGHTO can enjoy the family vacation as well.

Speaking of our competition...we are 20.00 per night less than our true competition that has a kitchenette (not Full kitchen like us), and does not have the FULL HOT BREAKFAST that we do. As far as any competition that is directly on the beach...Their rates would approach 548.00 for 1(ONE) night for anything close to the amenities we provide during the High Summer Season when you were here. We are sorry that you indicated that you will not be back...HOWEVER...after you shop around next time and you find that you will not find any hotel with our amenities at the rates we offer...we will be glad to welcome you back if you choose.

Sincerely...Management
rowlett
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Hotel room needed updating but we could tell they were in the process of doing that. Staff was very accommodating and food was great. Loved having the availability of the grills by the pool and we took advantage of using them. Close enough to the beach to drive within 20 mins or so depending on downtown traffic. Hotel area had some nice restaurants close by that offered great food at an affordable price unlike the beach area restaurants which were pricey. Overall had a wonderful experience and will do it again. Mainstay suites needs more hotels in all states.

Room Tip: rooms at this hotel were very soundproof. No complaints on the room.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank junky1952
Hot Springs, AR, USA
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We found this Mainstay Suites fine for our family of four. Employees were responsive to our needs. The bedding was comfortable. The kitchenette was very convenient for storing refrigerated items such as pizza and drinks for our teenagers. Breakfast was better than average in quantity and quality. Location was good. Beach is not a bad drive, maybe 25 minutes. We found some hairs and dirt in the bathroom and uncleanliness under the sleeper sofa when we moved it back from the TV. Best was free breakfast and fair price. It was better than other reviewed hotels here in the under $100 category. Least was the noise we heard from above.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mark71901
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The rooms are huge and have potential but they are in desperate need of UPDATING!..When we arrived at the room we were greeted by a musty and stale odor at the door. Upon entering the room I noticed that the carpet had not been vaccumed, the bathroom had not been cleaned properly and the closet door was hanging sideways on the track. After a trip to wal mart where I purchased some cleaning supplies and candles to mask the odors in the room it was tolorable especially since we were out of the room most of the day. When we came back to the room I pulled out the sofa bed, which was in poor condition and found a LARGE questionable stain so my son had to sleep with his father and I. That being the last straw, I got up and made a reservation at another hotel. The next morning I was up at 6am after a horrible night so that I could check into the new hotel, when I went to the front desk at the Main Stay I was told that the cash I'd given them the day before would have to be refunded by check because they were not properly equiped to refund cash..WTF???? Needless to say after I spoke to the assistant manager (Nora Swain) who was very rude and general manager (Paul Blake )who also seemed upset that I disturbed him, my money was refunded to me in CASH!
On a brighter note there was a front desk agent named Fanisha Cyrus who was very pleasant, helpful, and understanding of this horrible situation.

Room Tip: Don't stay here !
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank EbonyRhodes
MainStayPensacola, Manager at MainStay Suites Pensacola, responded to this review, 28 June 2011
I am replying to give my sincere apology that your stay with us was not to your standards. We were happy that you were referred to us by a very nice competitor hotel when they were not able to meet your needs. When you first brought up your points of concern, I was prepared to send a room attendant to your room in a good faith effort to bring everything to your complete satisfaction. At that time you brought it to our attention that you work for an exclusive high end hotel chain, and that you always bring cleaning supplies to every hotel you travel to so you can bring them up to your deserved, discerning hotel expectations. Our housekeeping staff was disappointed that you would not give them the opportunity to show you that they could make things right for you. We were encouraged however that you were indicating by your 2 night payment that you were going to be staying through the weekend.
When I was called at my house on Saturday to discuss a cash refund for your second night because you were checking out 1 day early, you were not bothering me at all, and I am really sorry if I gave you that impression. I always want to be informed on my days off of any guest issues so that a guest does not have to wait until Monday for a resolution. The ONLY reason I could not promise a CASH refund at that second was because I had to call the hotel to see if there would be enough cash on hand for operations after your refund. Our normal procedure as at other hotels is to issue a refund check, BUT, I was willing to work with you IF the cash was available. As it turned out, Ms. Nora was willing to come in on her day off and get change out of the safe so you could be accommodated. I am also sorry on her behalf, if while communicating this to you, she came across as being rude.
We would be grateful for a second chance any time in the future to welcome you back to the area and let you see first-hand that your complete satisfaction is always our first goal.
Paul Blake and team MainStay Suites
Marrero
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Beautiful property with big swimming pool, tennis court, and a basket ball court! I stayed here for 2 nights in a Double Queen Suites which was a very spacious room with kitchen et, but only had two body towels. Great room just needed more towels.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends