“Decent value for price”

Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
Saint Cloud, Florida
“Decent value for price”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in Jan 2012 with my hubby, 2 yr old and our dog. The rooms are comfortable and spacious but could use some updating and better cleanliness in the kitchen. The garbage disposal had an awful smell and I had to cover it with a dish to keep it from stinking up the whole room. The beds were comfortable. The staff was super friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was good, waffles were suprisingly good. They were in the process of replacing all the microwaves in the rooms. The hotel is right off the interstate but our room was very quiet. I would stay here again. It is one of the nicer pet friendly hotels we've found.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
MainStayPensacola, Manager at MainStay Suites Pensacola, responded to this review, 12 March 2012

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for staying at MainStay Suites in Pensacola...I am sorry you experienced some problems with your disposal. Maintainence is available most hours to address such issues so I hope you didn't have to wait too long have that issue resolved. I am glad to report that INDEED WE HAVE CONTINUED our upgrades since you were here...I am glad to report that we now have ALL NEW STAINLESS APPLIANCES to accompany the new microwave you got when you were here. We have also installed new carpet throughout...that all goes with the new bedding...new 37" flat panel HDTVs...and new cabinery...and oh yes...new granite countertops as well...Please come back soo so you can see for yourself all of our upgrades !!

Team MainStay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Daphne, Alabama
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We stayed here the night before a very early airport departure. I've never stayed at MainStay Suites before but learned here that this property used to be a Residence Inn, which I've stayed at many times and liked. This hotel is hard to find behind an ailing shopping mall along a frontage road filled with low end and weekly rate hotels, a closed restaurant and a radio station.

At check-in, I asked if any of the rooms I had reserved, a 2 bed + sofa bed room, were upstairs, and was told no. I was asked if I'd rather have the Penthouse suite and I said sure, as long as it is the same price as the room I reserved, and that's what I got, so I was pleased. Those suites have a king bed upstairs in a loft area plus a bathroom and downstairs there is a full size Murphy bed and bathroom, sofa bed, wood burning fireplace, living room, small dining area and kitchen. Neither bedroom area is behind a closed door for privacy.

The space was great for our group but very ragged around the edges. The odor coming from the disposal was so foul I almost retched, so I covered it with the rubber stopper.The microwave was so old we were afraid to use it and the other appliances were old and stained, chips out of the counter top and paint smudges were on the carpet. We couldn't figure out how the ceiling fan worked upstairs but the beds were comfortable. Behind the furniture we found food crumbs, dust/hair globs, a broken outlet cover, hair clips, etc. Why don't housekeepers look behind furniture and clean it up?

They must have trouble with guests stealing TVs, bedding and towels, since there are signs that tell you what your account will be charged if any items are found missing and the TVs are alarmed. We had a quiet night, the breakfast was fine, the grounds are well landscaped and the employees were pleasant. I'm not sure the value was there for the price I paid, even with the upgraded suite.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank ksheff-travel
Thanks for the comments from your stay in December...I am glad to report that since your stay we have been busy working on a complete renovation to make your next experience with us even better. We have just completed installation of new carpeting throughout the entire hotel. In addition...we have all brand new Stainless Steel appliances in our Full Kitchens that go very nicely with the brand new granite countertops. The new flat panel 37" HDTVs were installed right before your visit along with our brand new bedding. We hope you will come back soon to see first hand all of the exciting improvements.

I am also glad to report that work is getting started on the exciting rennovations at Former University Mall...For brand new anchor stores as well as additional restaurants are planned so there is alot in store for our area...come back soon and ofter.

Thank you.

Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 27 October 2011

The Mainstay Suites is a conversion from a former Residence Inn. The rooms are very generously sized, albeit a bit dated in their furnishings. The second story rooms are pretty huge and have a loft in them which is nice. For the most part the first floor rooms are nice and comfy, but if you are staying on a weekend night and you want a quiet night pick the second floor room. The hotel tends to host a lot of military kids who want to get off base on the weekends and they tend to be up late at night going in and out.

I stayed at the hotel four times over a four week period. I stayed in various rooms scattered throughout the property. Some complaints that I had were not constant. Those included one room that did not seem to be cleaned very well (others were), noise on weekend nights and occasionally the internet was extremely slow and the cable tv would go in and out freezing on the screens. The maid service is weekly and you only get enough linens for two people regardless of the room size. All that being said, the hotel staff seems very receptive to constructive criticism and I never experienced any complaints I had on a prior visit on the subsequent one.

Room Tip: Excellent alternative to a cheap hotel at a similar price.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Jennk1975
Thank you for your comments from a previous stay...I just wanted to follow up on the many exciting rennovations that have been going on since your last stay. Since you were here last, we have installed new carpeting throughout to compliment the new bedding and 37" flat panel HDTVs in the guest area. We are also glad to report all brand new Stainless Steel Appliances in our Full Sized Kitchens. They look GREAT with our brand new Granite Countertops and new cabinetry. We are sorry for the problems you had with noise on the weekends. On the one hand we are so PROUD to welcome the young military members who join us on some weekends and are so thankful of them for serving our country. However, I WILL NOT CONTINUE to let them be so loud that they are a problem for our other guests. I am working on a good partnership with them so that the noise and fun times don't bother anyone.

Please come back soon and often...We trust that all of our improvements will make your next stay GREAT !!!

Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Had an excellent experience here at the Main Stay Suites. Great rooms for a good price. Very close to the interstate and lots of resaurants nearby. Will be back again!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joe F
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel this past summer. We wanted a place to stay for a week while our kids attended camp at the Christian College. This was perfect for our stay.

Pros: The breakfasts were hot and plenty, get there early if you want to make waffles to avoid a long line. They had coffee in the main lobby pretty much all the time. The staff were friendly and it felt safe enough in the general area. There were even a few geocaches close by to find :o) The rooms were spacious and the kitchen was a welcome feature. Tennis court was cute, small, but the kids liked it (bring your balls and raquets. Didn't try out the pool; a little small, but the guests seemed to be enjoying it.

Cons: Only one bathroom was a little tought to share, but worked out ok. Would have been great to have two bathrooms for a unit that would sleep at least 6. We forgot to ask for a top floor room and got stuck on the bottom with noisy kids running around for 2 nights on our ceiling. The noisy neighbors left a large bag of garbage near our door, which stayed there for several days until we reported it. I was a bit surprised it didn't get picked up by staff when they cleaned that room, but who knows.

You need to be aware that they do have a kitchen, but only one set of utensils and limited plates and such. They did have pots, but you would be smart to bring paper plates, plastic forks, etc. to be sure you were covered.

Go ahead and ask for an extra set of towels/rags/handtowels for each guest you bring beyond two. They only have two sets in the room. That apparently is their policy. You will need to ask and go get them if you forget to ask upon check-in. I think they have pool towels to use at the pool area. Same for sheet sets; we had to ask for another set for the fold-out couch. I guess they had a problem with those sorts of things walking off.

That about covers it. Only a few odd things, like you can't park by your room unless you stay in the front rooms. You don't get room service or maid service, which we never want anyway. Lots of candy wrappers and such under the sleeper sofa, but nothing too nasty. I really didn't have many complaints and appreciated the space this hotel provides for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Upstairs if you want to be sure to get a quiet room (but walk softly so the family downstairs will t...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Catchristo2
Tallahassee
Reviewed 10 October 2011

For a middle class family not expecting the Ritz Carlton, this place was great! Free hot breakfast, pool, gas BBQ grills, real fireplace in each room and a price 50 bucks cheaper than competing "Suite Hotels". Location was excellent in center of Pensacola for the soccer tournament we went to. I was worried being next to Interstate would be noisy but none at all. King bed was extremely comfortable. Obviously an older property that was recently renovated, but it was nice, clean and had a complete full kitchen - full fridge, oven, dishwasher, etc. Room set up was unique, more apartment style than traditional hotel, but we liked it better. Nice manicured and trimmed plantings and grounds. We will definitely stay again. One note, they don not have daily maid service to make up the room.

Room Tip: All room are ground or second story. Second story only accesible by stairs, so if you can't haul...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 14 September 2011

After along road trip from texas going to Tempa stayed 2 nights the two room suite that thay had was awesome had a fireplace and full kitchen, the room was clean and everthing was in working order. We will alwas stay at this property on our return trip or when ever we are in pensacola.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family