“Disappointing Experience”

Sheraton Suites Fort Lauderdale Plantation
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Plantation
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Decent, clean rooms. Nice, helpful staff, and priced well, for a hotel in the middle of nowhere.

Downside: confused management.

Issue: our group of 9 suites requested transportation (a day in advance), at 615PM yesterday, to a restaurant less than 3 miles away. Included in our party: 9x 65+ yrs old relatives + one handicapped in wheelchair, with aide.

We were assured of timely pickup (Saturday, hence all restaurants full, thus imperative for early arrival). 30 mins later, I called, concerned. Was told van would arrive 15 mins, after picking up guests -these thing happen, no prob.

30 mins, after, nada. Repeated queries met with reassurances of "no worries,10 minutes." Reservations at restaurant were forfeited.

Sheraton Plantation driver, finally arrived with 2 other passengers (Time: -40 mins late). We get in, beg for drop off at at restaurant 7 mins away (handicapped wheelchair relative precludes us walking to chain restaurant safely).

We have been long term annual guests for cruises here for years - with status. 2 guests in in van unapologetic and aggressive. Very Dismissive and entitled.

Kind driver, Cesar, asks for our patience, while other guests remain insouciant. We inquire re lateness, and ask politely for drop off to nearby restaurant due to delay.

Other guests refuse. Insist on waiting for third party due to getting ready - 2 mins. We acquiesce. 15 mins pass. We are anxious. Very worried.

Reservations long past. Friends meeting at restaurant calling in concern. 2 other guests in van remain insouciant, and repeat 2 mins, relaxed.

We politely reminded that nearly 20 mins had passed, and we had FIRST requested transport earlier that day, and waited that evening.

When reminded of promised 2 min wait, plus long delay, abuse from other guests ensue - of a racist nature (some of our group were from Spain, referred disdainfully), as well as screamed statements of "Who do you think you are? Do you know who we are?!?"

Seriously - are we all adults here? Perplexed, and getting angered + insulted + treated like 2nd class citizens due to Spanish friends (us: 2 Brits, 3 Spanish, 2 Americans).

We retort that race, country, or individuals did not matter, but as we had booked trip earlier and had precedent, reservations, + meetings, would they mind being considerate. Chaos. Foul language in creole - we did not let the "ladies" know we spoke French, as well as multiple languages. Abuse.

Latecomer finally arrives 10 mins later, unapologetic. All are defensive. Other guests refuse to allow us to be dropped off first, and wait.

Disparage Spanish-speaking friends. I was personally screamed to go back to the country from which I came. I am: a) Asian; b) grew up in the the UK, and speak English with a Brit accent, but am fluent in French, Spanish, etc.

Further abuse ensues as we are dropped off. Things escalate, as everyone gets insults.

Local FLL friends meeting us for dinner are mortified, and drive us back to hotel to avoid repetition of - we are too embarrassed by imbroglio to ask for return hotel ride.

Driver - Cesar - was in tough place. We understand, and apologised.

When Sunny, manager, was approached by a lady in our party re this for assistance in resolving, she was told we were high-maintenance (due to relative in wheelchair, who did not accompany us that night, and had an aide), and they had done what they could, and we should not to ask for more.

Is empathy, assistance, resolution, proper management, too much to ask? We did not ask for punishment or restitution. Just tried to clarify matters. I suppose so.

We have been loyal customers of the Sheraton Plantation. This experience has left a bitter, racist, taste In our mouths. We have been considerate, polite, and generous guests.

The lack of understanding, empathy, apparent misogyny, and indifference by management at the Sheraton Suite Plantation has been exceedingly upsetting.

We - as a group - travel a lot around the world, and are loyal gold/ platinum members of SPG. Please be assured we do not feel either entitled, or unreasonable. This is not an issue of entitlement, nor snobbery.

BUT when we politely ask for a favour/ ride, are assured it is not a problem, are kept waiting 50 mins, losing our restaurant reservations, and screamed and abused by strangers - who we were later informed were not regular guests - it is upsetting. To be told to return to where we came from - further insulting. We are more fluent in English, and other languages, vs the aggressive "ladies."

FYI, majority of us are US citizens, polite, yet outraged, and the foreign/ disparaged Spanish visitors are repeat customers, in suites, for extended durations. Not that this sort of loyalty is of issue.

The response of Sanny/ management to an upset lady member of out group was inexplicable. She was told the Sheraton Plantation had done the best they could, and told not to whine.

We do not fault Cesar, the driver. He was in a Sisyphean situation. The other guests threatened to to take a cab, yet refused to do so, when offered (we offered to pay).

There was no reasoning with them. Racism, classism, and entitlement clearly played a role. The other guests did not respond to polite overtures, and there was rancour on both sides.

At the end, I am left wondering who is to blame? We feel chagrined and embarrassed to be dragged into such a situation, yet incredibly outraged. Management's response to a polite trilingual lady in out group was dismissive. Unacceptable.

Result: we will try to resolve this politely tomorrow. Most of us will no longer - ever - stay at the Sheraton Plantation Suites, or perhaps, SPG hotels, regardless of status. Alternatives abound - and we no longer feel loyalty.

We feel sad, and disappointed, that this incident has occurred, and shared this with socially prominent friends, over dinner.

This experience. will be posted on my FB,Tumblr, Twitter, Weibo, blog, Instagram Video, YouTube, G+, Snapchat etc pages. For purposes of transparency, all responses will be published.

Apologies for the long write-up. This has been most upsetting. After my stay at the Excelsior in Rome, in early May 2014, I will be likely more loyal to Park Hyatt, and small luxury hotels of the world...

Do respond, if so inclined.

MOST disillusioned, and sadly offended.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank BoonNYC
Zachary E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Suites Fort Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for your review BoonNYC. I would like to first say how sorry we are for the experience you encountered. No guest should ever have to feel the way you felt. We would like to speak to you further in regards to this incident. Please feel free to contact myself directly at 954-452-3211 or the General Manager at 954-452-3205. We would also be more than happy to reach out to you if you send us your contact information to zachary.engle@sheraton.com. We look forward to resolving this matter. Thank you!

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Looking at the photos and ratings on Expedia led me to believe this property was a good choice in the area. Not so! I have stayed at many hotels in the Ft. Lauderdale area, and this is a poor 3 star hotel at best. It is a 70 era property that looks it. Outside is in extreme need of renovations, and the inside is far worse. Hall carpet is nasty. Save your money and stay elsewhere.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank shafter1207
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My wife and I had an absolutely wonderful time at this Sheraton. The prices were quite reasonable, and the staff could not have been nicer. Sonny Simovic, the Assistant Front Office Manager, was especially warm and friendly during out stay. I could not recommend this hotel any higher, and we will be returning.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We got a really great deal on this hotel and taking this into account we loved the place. It has nice large comfy rooms with a king and sofa bed (which our kids used the entire time). Coffeemaker, fridge, microwave, desk, large bathroom .. 2 large TV's.. the only thing I really did not like was the beds which offered no support. Extremely soft (and comfy maybe if you like this) but my wife and myself did not sleep well and woke up with pain in our back due to the complete lack of decent support.

The pool and gym were really great, we did not try breakfast at the hotel ( I recommend the pancake house nearby as an alternative ). Convenient within a 10min drive also from Sawgrass Mills shopping mall.

Also, super helpful lady at the front desk.

Room Tip: If you travel with 2 kids it is still better to go for the King bedroom rather than the double in my...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My first visit to Sheraton Suites Plantation (Fort Lauderdale west) revealed a few missteps. The organization I represent had reserved a room for me. Upon arrival, none were available, though I had a confirmation. Using my credit card for the one-night stay, a clerk had documented my arrival date as March 28, checking out on March 30. Our organization’s director rectified the snafu. (Murphy’s Law seems to haunt those with the same name.) At 9:30 that evening, I notified registration the error checkout date. The staff argued that I must be mistaken. On the phone, she said, “I have it here in front of me.” Well, I had it in front of me that checkout was in two days. When I went to the registration desk, there was only one representative for the ten people waiting. First impressions are irreversible. Trip coming in the front door to fall flat on your face and you’re not likely to notice fresh flowers in the foyer.

Each room, however, is a true suite. The bathroom and separate bathroom and sink areas are accessed from the bedroom or through a pocket door at the entrance. There are a mini-fridge and microwave in a wet bar, all granite topped, separated from the living room by a desk. The living area has a sofa, chair and TV, and a wide window, as does the bedroom. The two rooms can be closed off with sliding doors which reduce a/c sound. There’s a popcorn ceiling, though it’s doubtful the hotel is old enough for this design faux pas to be anything but a mistake. Missing from the Sheraton is the stuffy smell of most hotels. Number 504 is not a room with a view. Well, excluding a view of a/c compressors and a 6-story edifice a hundred feet away. There is excellent sleep quality.

As for amenities, the only lobby restrooms are at the extreme end beyond registration, past elevators and east of Eden—on the opposite end from a bar, restaurant, and conference facilities. Service staff use the conference gathering area to drag trash cans and cleaning supplies, hardly a conducive environment for displaying conference merchandise. Poor floor plan and lack of convenient restrooms detract from excellent rooms. But why have a comfortable room and attend an uncomfortable conference environment? After 12 hours at a conference, most are too tired to enjoy a spacious suite.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east have the only view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank DeanMurphy2020
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

The personal at this hotel is fantastic and very accommodating . But that said the property is old- really need fresh paint and new carpets. Couches have stains and wood furniture is falling apparat. The hotel is adjourned to a empty/ closed mall...Would not recommend.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We have a business that travels all the time. We are working on a project that connects to this property. Booked in advance for a two man team at 149.00 night. When our men arrive the cost is much higher and they called back to our office and said for us to find another hotel. The property was nice but they were made to feel unwelcome right from the start. We will be in the area for a while but not staying here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plantation
Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale / Plantation
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale Plantation
Renaissance Fort Lauderdale-Plantation Hotel
Staybridge Suites Ft. Lauderdale Plantation
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft Lauderdale - Plantation

Been to Sheraton Suites Fort Lauderdale Plantation? Share your experiences!