“Good option pre- or post- cruise”

Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Plantation
NYC
“Good option pre- or post- cruise”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed here for one night following our Thanksgiving week cruise. We had stayed at a different Residence Inn prior to the cruise that felt a bit more modern as this location seemed in need of a sprucing up. The only room available was a disabled room, which meant no tub only a removable shower. Spacious enough and close to the pool. The breakfast was superior to our post-cruise location (farther away from Ft. Lauderdale) and we took at walk to the restaurant for dinner that was pretty good. Did use both the business center and fitness room and all-in-all, good for a short stay but I wouldn't want to spend a week there.

Room Tip: Upper floors and away from the pool were quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
julieaston, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear wanderlust_jules
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Residence Inn, I am glad that you enjoyed our amenities and our breakfast buffet. We host many guests who are here on pre and post cruise alike as our location to the port makes shuttle services very affordable. Having a restaurant right next door also gives guests that do not have a car an easy dining option. We will be updating the hotel at the end of the year, we hope you will get the opportunity to come and see it.
Julie Aston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We had a day to spend in the Ft. Lauderdale area before a cruise, so we chose this hotel because we liked the Plantation area, which is clean and safe. We drove down to Hollywood "broadwalk" to spend the afternoon with my daughter. In the evening we walked to Romano's Macaroni and Grill next door to the hotel for a surprisingly good dinner.
Our room was clean, parking was free and available, and the breakfast was easy and just what we needed. It was a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank birdspotter13
julieaston, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear birdspotter13
I am so glad you had the chance to spend an evening with us prior to your cruise, it sounds like it set your vacation off to a good start. Thank you for your review of our hotel and amenities, we really appreciate your comments and feel a sense of accomplishment when we see them and know your received the service we are proud of.
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We had enough Reward points for a free night at the Residence Inn, Plantation. We rented a car so the trip to this hotel was okay. Somewhat removed from the usual pre-cruise Fort Lauderdale action, but with the car we were able to do our wine, etc., shopping. We checked into the Residence Inn and then traveled by car a short distance to J. Alexander's for a nice dinner.

The biggest problem with the Residence Inn was that the two TV remote controls needed new batteries. One worked sporadically and with heavy button pushing; the other did not work at all. But we were there for a very short visit and we really weren't interested in watching TV, so we didn't bother to report the remote problem.

Overall, Residence Inn served our purpose well and we were able to return the rental car at the airport the next morning and get a cab to the cruise terminal. We were able to board the Eurodam after a short wait and had our Mariner's lunch in the main dining room. All was well!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear seadr1fter
Thank you for your review of our hotel and for choosing us for your pre cruise accommodations. Although not in the heart of town, we are lucky to be in such a great location that we have many great restaurants so close to us and, I am glad you got to enjoy one of the best. I am sorry your in room services were not up to your expectations. Our staff are very willing to help with any issue or request, but I am glad this issue did not detract from your stay. We look forward to seeing you again on another pre cruise trip or if you are in the area.
Orlando
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Stayed here for an evening last week for corporate training. I really liked the quiet suite and overall it was a comfortable place to stay in Plantation. I've stayed at the Staybridge before and found the Residence Innto be quieter and more comfortable. The only problem I had with the place was that a doorknob was loose in the room - something that could be easily corrected with some maintenence. As other reviewers have noted it has a Macaroni Grill adjacent to it (though I found it to be pricey).
The double queen suite was spacious - in fact I could've brought my family with me and everyone would've had room.

Had a great workout in their small gym on the morning of departure. Machines all looked fairly new and in working order.

Breakfast was fine here too - basic scrambled eggs, hash browns, cereal and fruit.

Overall this was a good hotel. It's not a full service Marriott, but for a Residence Inn it gets two thumbs up.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear windsurfer5230
Thank you for your feedback about your stay. It is always nice to hear great comments about the hotel especially specific ones that stand us apart from others. The double rooms are our largest and typically guests reserve them when they are bringing their families. Hopefully you will have a chance to bring yours and stay for leisure next time.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Although I have stayed at worse hotels, this is not up to the Residence Inn/Marriot standards. We stayed in a 2 bedroom/bath room which was nice and spacious and itself a good set up. The beds were comfortable and bathrooms and closets spacious.

However, the carpets were very dirty, they needed either a huge shampoo or new ones, after 10 mins our socks were black! Also, there were small bugs crawling in the kitchen (although that is the only place we saw them). The hallway smelled old and perhaps of being fumigated. I understand that being in a warm climate there are going to be more bug issues but after staying in other hotels in the area they didn't have a problem. In general the hotel needs a major update/renovation.

The staff however was great, although upon check out when I mentioned the issues they did not offer any sort of compensation. I indicated to them that I didn't believe that the room was worth $200 per night, maybe $130 considering everything.

I would definitely look elsewhere when I am next in the area. I would not recommend this hotel for the price you pay and what you receive.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Sn0w_sucks
julieaston, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Sn0w_sucks
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate your feedback and take it seriously when putting into place processes and plans for continuous improvement. I am glad you enjoyed our staff and the amenities but regret that you experienced these problems during your stay. I am happy to tell you that since your stay we have replaced the hallway air conditioning units, which was the main cause of the musty hallway smell. We have also been scheduled for a renovation this September which we are all very excited about. I hope you will give us another try if you come to the area again and tell us what you think of the new updated version.
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I am glad that I did not go by some of these reviews. I expect a Marriott to be above average and I found that this was the case. The employees were all very friendly and went out of their way to help in anyway. I found the hotel and the room to be clean with no problems. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher rooms with a view of the pool is good
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
julieaston, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Dear Pam,
I am also glad that you gave our hotel a chance and thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I am happy you enjoyed our staff and noticed the cleanliness, and I appreciate you sharing your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Stayed overnight this week. Receptionist was pleasant. Macaroni Grill across the parking lot. Room was very clean. Only part I didnt like was the strong smell of dogs on the first floor. I stayed on the 4th but that odor was strong as I waited for the elevator. I've stayed at other Residence Inn but in Ft.Myers and they accept dogs and didnt smell like this. Breakfast was very good, lots of room to sit and have good waffles with strawberry topping and whip cream. Good scrambled eggs, plenty of choices. A bit pricey at 180 dollars for one night.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MissMiami
Dear Miss Miami
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your local accommodation needs and for taking the time to write a review. We worked hard to get the odor issue fixed and with new air conditioners we have increased the airflow and we feel this has fixed the problem. We appreciate any comments you have to help us improve and this feedback definitely made a big difference. Our prices typically change over the summer, we hope to see you again in the future.