“WAY more than I expected!!!”
Review of Wyndham Palm-Aire

Wyndham Palm-Aire
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Akron, OH
“WAY more than I expected!!!”
Reviewed 11 February 2010

Upon arrival it looks like you're typical higher class hotel (no Holiday Inn) The grounds were big so you could tell it was a larger resort, the lobby was nice, everyone was helpful, we get the keys to our room and the first words out of my mouth were "You've got to be freaking kidding me!" It was HUGE!! I was under the impression we just booked a regular room for one night, this place was bigger and nicer than most peoples apartments that I know! Full kitchen, dining area, living room, massive bedroom with a HOT TUB in the room, very large bathroom, it was gorgeous!!! 3 balconies!!! They allowed us a late check out and said we could use the pool before we headed back home (we were driving and not ready to get on the road yet) I was VERY surprised and impressed with this hotel, I recommend it to everyone!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MRB15

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Altoona, Iowa
Reviewed 1 February 2010

I booked this Wyndham after trying to get into the Royal Vista and finding out it was full. There were a total of 8 of us going to the Orange Bowl, so needed a timeshare over hotels. I was very disappointed in this resort. If I was an owner I would be very upset over the level of upkeep on this resort. Our room was a 2 bedroom that fit 8 people, it was a decent size for all of us. However, that was about as good as it got. The room was dirty, old, and run down. It didn't look like it had been cleaned throroughly in a long time. There were hairs in the tub, one of the light fixtures above the sink in the main bath was broken and there were still pieces of glass on the floor, the dryer was full of sand and dirt, the dishwasher was basically falling apart, the toilet in the master bath was leaking all over, and the carpet was terribly stained and dirty. We did report the leakage and the broken light fixture to the main desk, and they did fix both quickly. The tiki bar closed up very early, so not much to do after it closed up. The bartender was extremely friendly though, and treated us very well! I can not commit on any of the activities as we were there during a very chilly time, but the pool did look very nice. One of our group got in the hot tub and stunk up the whole room with chlorine when he got back, he said it was so bad it about made him sick. There are quite a few restaurants and a Wal Mart close by. The first night we got there a Sheriff followed us all the way to our parking spot, and we saw 3 cop cars at the main office, so not sure how safe the area is, or if that was just a single incident. I also have to say that the staff were all very friendly and helpful so that was a plus. I also can not comment on the spa as we did not have time to use it, but did hear very good things about it.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank jamerican88
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 January 2010

We booked our reservation through the Wyndham Vacation Resort 800 number. The reservation process was easy and we were looking forward to staying at the property in a 2 bedroom condo with kitchen, living room, balcony, washer/dryer and jacuzzi. We received an email confirmation for our reservation with a confirmation number and description of the room and property.

As a family of 6, it is hard to find a hotel room that can accommodate us all without using sofa beds, 3 in a bed, sleep on the floor options. This was going to be great. We have old folks in Boca that could come over and visit comfortably. I phoned the property the day of our arrival to request that we be assigned a room in which the second bedroom have two full beds rather than a queen since that was described as an option. I was told that that wouldn't be a problem.

After driving to southern Florida from Chicago, we arrived at the Palm Aire at 12:15 a.m. Upon arrival, the desk clerk could not locate our reservation. He said that the confirmation number that we had in our confirmation email meant nothing to him because he had not received the email from reservations and we were not in the system. When I asked how that was possible, he became rather rude and told me to stop talking. When I called the reservations number as told to do so by the reservations agent if there were any problem, I was told by the recording that the office was closed. After about 45 minutes of discussion, the desk clerk explained that the hotel was over sold. He said he had 4 reservations on the system, not including ours which wasn't on the system, for 2 bedroom condos and no condos for those guests either. He did eventually offer to accommodate us in a one bedroom, but with 6 people who would sleep on the floor? He wrote us a letter documenting that we showed up and could not be accommodated.

I later emailed reservations (couldn't get through by phone) about our experience. Not too surprisingly, I never got a response. I did, however, get charged for the entire stay over $1600.00 and a $25 reservation fee on my charge card and did spend a half hour on the phone with Wyndham Resorts to try to get this credited back.

This whole experience was a fiasco. I would never expect this given all the great travel experiences we have had in and out of the U.S. I would never, ever, book travel at a Wyndham Resort again. In case you are wondering, we eventually went to the Embassy Suites in Deerfield Beach where they were welcoming and accommodating and had a great vacation.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Tami S
Crossville, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 January 2010

I have stayed in this location before and was happy with that experience, but at my most recent stay I was sorely disappointed. I had reserved a three bedroom unit several months in advance. When we arrived, we were given a two bedroom handicap-accessible unit. I was suprised and called management, who had to call the corporate office to find out what had happened. Apparently there was a miscommunication between the corporate booking office and their location, because my reservation originally showed that I had booked a 3 bedroom unit, but then the unit type disappeared and I was given whatever they had available when I arrived. They did not have any other room to transfer us to except a one-bedroom, which would not work with our 5 person family, but they were happy to provide us with some complimentary resort perks for their mistake which was nice.

The room itself was in poor condition. The carpet was filthy. My 9 month old daughter would be black on her palms and legs from crawling on the carpet for a few minutes. It had an odd musty smell. Consequently she got an eye infection in both eyes that week which I am convinced came from crawling and playing such a dirty room. There were other things that were obviously overlooked when it was cleaned last also, like hangers hanging from on the window treatments. And, of course, they had no other rooms to transfer us to.

I requested a crib the week before we arrived, but when we checked in there were no cribs available. I checked with housekeeping every morning and was told daily that they had no cribs to send, so my infant had to sleep in a pallet on the floor which got very difficult after a few days. We corralled her between the bed and the wall, blocking her exit with an armchair. Not how you would like things to work out but she had to sleep somewhere.

The event staff at this resort were stretched far too thin. We frequently heard them conversing among themselves things about moving staff from event to event because there were not enough to run them. A dinner that we attended midweek was delayed for almost an hour because the staff was busy running another event and couldn't make it on time, then the food was not prepared in advance and we had to wait another 45 minutes to eat.

Our building was in poor repair and we were told at one point by a housekeeper to avoid a certain area of the common room because the ceiling was falling down and pieces were hitting people on the head. The common room was an open area in the center of the 8-story building so the ceiling was very very high.

My previous experience with this resort was great, but this time I was left unimpressed. I was glad that they gave us the comp tickets to resort events and a spa massage to make up for the mixup in the room, but other than that I was not very happy with this stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Really enjoyed the Hot Tub, heated pools & Golf Course.

Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank FelixS3
Virginia
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Great amenities, however some of the rooms have a “humid” smell and need to be updated.
We were spending Christmas in that hotel. We made our reservation 6 months in advance expecting a good room. However, our room was in the main building since “apparently everything was full”.
In our room one of the carpets was humid; therefore the whole room smelled like an old library. Then there were dirty dishes in the dishwasher. The utensils in the kitchen were not complete. Our small balcony was looking over the parking garage and could hear the small club cars of the maintenance people beeping every 10 min. We called the front desk about the carpet and they send somebody with a big (noisy) fan to put in the carpet, they never picked that up until next day. After that the carpet still wet. The front desk told us that they were going to change our room the next day. We stayed for 7 days and it NEVER HAPPENED!
I am really disappointed with this Wyndham hotel because I have stayed in other wyndham location and Never had such BAD EXPIRIENCE.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tripadvice01
Staten Island,Ny
Reviewed 3 November 2009

My wife and I stayed here about 5 years ago and we loved it. The rooms were clean and the resorts grounds were great. We had just wished the area had more stores and food locations. Well five years later either the area has changed or finally opened our eyes. Theres a casino across the highway/street on Powerline. Don't have to drive 30 minutes or so to Hollywood Hard Rock. There's a Walmart and Costco nearby. Tons of fast food options and sit down restaurants nearby.

After reading some reviews about bedbugs here on tripadvisor, a through check was down of the beds and couch. Clean as a whistle. Plus the bedding seemed fairly new. So if there was a problem, it has been dealt with. I'm drawing a blank of the name of the building we stayed at but its the building with the front desk check in/spa and the small pool in the back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
#3 of 38 in Pompano Beach
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Santa Barbara
#1 of 17 in Pompano Beach

Been to Wyndham Palm-Aire? Share your experiences!