“Resort employee stole our credit card number and charged it up”
Review of Wyndham Palm-Aire

Wyndham Palm-Aire
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Palm Bay
“Resort employee stole our credit card number and charged it up”
Reviewed 10 July 2010

The first major issue I have with this resort is that an employee there stole our credit card number from the resort check-in computer and charged $10,000 on our card all over town in a matter of 3 days. We only used this card to pay for the room, nothing else. Everything else was put on a totally different account. That is how we are positive it was taken by a resort employee. Previous to the room charge on this account there was no activity on it for months before. Right after we checked out from the Palm Aire, our card started getting used that night and 2 days after totaling up to $10,000. It's scary that you can't trust to use your credit card at a resort without someone stealing the number and making their own card with it with their name on it.
My second issue, was the staff. They were unprofessional, rude, had bad attitudes, most of them were clueless and not helpful, and didn't seem like they wanted to be there at all. The only smiles and "good mornings" we encountered were from the cleaning crew. The staff at the front desk, activity center, cafe, etc.....forget it! Not pleasant!
My last issue, the room. They put us in a room in the building connected to where you check in. If you get a room over there (the short 3 story building) ask for one in one of the towers. The rooms in the 3 story building are very outdated and old whereas the rooms in the towers are very new, remodeled, updated, etc. They should remodel and update the short building to be the same quality as the rest of the towers before renting them out. We had small TVs that we had to pull our chairs up close to watch to avoid getting eye strain. By now, the TVs should be updated to something a little bigger for the living room area at least. At this day in age you'd think they'd have flat screens and not the old box style TVs. Apparently they do in the tower rooms, but not in the building we were placed in. We never could get the remote to work to the TV in the living room. Most of our lightbulbs were burnt out so we had to call to get new ones put in when we first got there. Before we even went to our room I asked at check in if we could a room in one of the tower buildings that were closer to the pool. The front desk lady was rude about it stating that I needed "to specify a certain building when I book my room next time." How would I know what building to stay in if we've never been to the resort? I've never booked a resort online to where I had to specify my own choice of building. The only thing we were allowed to choose was the number of bedrooms we wanted online. Once we got there and noticed that all the tower buildings were closer to the pools we asked if we could be in one of those because it was easier with small children to step right out the door and there's the pool. If you're in the short check in building (the one not shown on their website) then you have to walk across the street in the resort to go to the pool areas. That was a pain to do all week with small children. I explained to the lady why I was inquiring about changing our room location before we even went up to ours and she was rude and short to the point, basically blaming me that that was what we booked. There are 2 bedroom rooms in the tower buildings as well. I booked a 2 bedroom room, not a specific building!!!!! She didn't care to understand or even listen to what I had to say. And I know we paid the same as what the rooms in the towers were after speaking to other guests. So they can't use the "you get what you pay for" statement to us. That was the warm welcome we got upon checking in.
And for those of you who need the internet while there on business and such, it's SLOW!!! They shouldn't advertise it as highspeed, it's aweful! You'll eventually lose your patience and give up. Just go swimming instead, the pools are nice and clean at least.
We will never return to this resort and will see to it that our friends/family don't either. Especially after having our credit card number stolen from one of their employees and then having a major shopping spree on it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Sandra101PalmBay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I just recently went down to Wyndham Palm Aire resort with my sister as both our husbands own their own business and had some work to do down in this area. Our suite that was book 3 WEEKS prior to check in was under the company credit card. When Checking in we did not get the room as requested and expected. They stuck us in the tower attached to the check in counter which is 3 stories that overlook a parking lot and is VERY outdated. Hard couches, small tv's and burned out lights in each room. When discussing a new room with the lady at the check-in counter she was nothing but RUDE and unprofessional so we sucked it up and tooked the room that we WERENT expecting and moved on.

Next day we go to buy tickets for activities happening within the resort and the guy working at the counter to sell the tickets "Cant help us" and had to call another girl down to take our money to purchase tickets of which we had to wait about 10 minutes with kids to wait for someone who could actually help us.. whats the point of having a guy working at a desk that cant help you when you go to purchase tickets? Why is he even there then? To just sit there and stare around the room that they call an "arcade"? Not to mention when we approached him to buy the tickets, again, this person wasnt very polite either.. must be a requirement to be rude in order to get hired at this place.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, the day of check-out our husband's company credit card that we used for check in and was asked by the lady at the front desk to "see the card for a minute" starting getting charges of $3,000.00 for the next couple days starting at midnight from the day of check-out. Funny thing is this company card was ONLY used at the resot at the time of check-in and no where else while we were in that area. We live up north about 3 hours away and all the charges took place AFTER we left town that day and were in an amount of $10k TOTAL all in the Pompano, Margate, Ft. Lauderdale area which tells us SOMEONE at this resort stole the credit card number from out their system and went on a shopping spree. I WOULD NOT recommend this resort to anyone. i would hate to see other people have to go through the headaches, loss and stress we had to go through trying to fight a total of $10,000 on the credit card. First time at this resort and most importantly THE LAST!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank TLK810
South Sterling, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 July 2010

I am not sure where the people who wrote negative reviews about this place stayed, but I just came home yesterday and had an amazing time. Being that I am younger and had never booked a hotel on my own, I didn't know that you still needed a $100.00 hold on a credit card in order to check in. I don't have credit cards, and had removed all the cash from my account in order to have spending money. The woman at the counter was completely nice about it and gave me directions to a Chase Bank which was literally walking distance from the hotel. She treated me with respect, which is nice because some places look down upon you for being young. I have to admit, the ladies at the desk who try to sell you a timeshare are a bit over the top, but since we were under 28 and didn't meet their income requirements, we got out of it pretty easily. Our room was in the Sabel Palm Building, and it was #885. We had an amazing pool view and the room was incredible. They give you pots & pans, dishes, electrics... everything! The beds were comfortable, everything was clean, and the bathroom is HUGE! There were two showers and a tub with jets. I stayed in the room with five other young adults and there was plenty of room. We met up with friends and even with 12-16 people hanging out in the room we still had enough space. There was a dvd player and cable tv. They also have a hotel restaurant with AMAZING pizza and the staff was hilarious. The ONLY thing I didn't like was that the pool closes at 10pm, and being a night owl I would have liked to swim later. However, I understand they only do this for my safety. I had a great time, and for the price you really cannot beat this. 15 mins from airport and beach! You do need a car, though.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank bebersusangre
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I can’t say enough about the Wyndham Plam-Aire. My husband and I were married at the resort. We stayed from June 6th thru June 13th. We hosted a small group of 20, we had a four bedroom Presidential, and 2 one bedroom condos, and a few of our guest also had the 2 bedroom unit. All of the accommodations were perfect, but the 4 bedroom Presidential was awesome!!!! 2 bdrs with 2 dbl beds, 2 masters with king beds and 4 baths, spa tubs, larger showers, large kitchen and dining room, beautiful entry, with nice art and beautiful sculptures (see pictures) …it was a home away from home. Our guest loved it, and can’t wait to go back, and we look forward to returning soon.

Check in: fast and problem free
Staff: friendly and eager to help
Grounds: Beautiful, very well kept
Parking: Free, Ample
Security: Gated with 24 Hour guard
Units: Clean, Roomy, well appointed, nice furnishing
Cleanliness: Very clean
Location: A car is a must

Four Golf Courses
Beautiful Pools
Beach access at sister property
Shopping and dining nearby…I recommend the Blue Moon Café, great food and service, on the inter-coastal

usa
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Our family just returned from an RCI timeshare exchange at the Wyndham. We found the two bedroom resort perfect in size with everything we needed in terms of kitchen appliances, etc. The washer/dryer combo worked out awesome for a family of five. It was nice having Wal-mart next door; however, there is a very busy street to cross so walking was kinda out of the picture and a rent a car is almost a must if you want to leave and explore the area. The resort is made up several buildings and there were actually two very nice pools that were nearby that the guests could use. It was listed on their site as having 4 pools but the third pool was really secluded and we never did see anyone use it. And I guess we never did see the 4th pool and heard that there wasn't one so not sure about that. The resort offers a free mini-golf course that was an awesome activity for my family as well as ping-pong, pool, volleyball, and air hockey as far as activities. They do have an activity center; however, was disappointed with the lack of planned daily activities and noticed that most did have a charge if they were offered. This is where I feel they could expand on their services to include activities for various ages of children and/or adults. They did offer movies in their very very small theater room for little kids. The resort did offer buffet nights but we felt prices were quite high for what was there when you have a family. For instance, $8.95 for a hotdog and/or hamburger, is more than I would spend for a family of five and they did have a seafood stirfry night for approximately $16, so we pretty much dined on our own which worked out well. It was mentioned to us that we could use their sister Wyndham resort alongside the ocean, which we checked out one day. We ended up paying to use beach chairs, etc. so not sure that this is something I would do again versus just going to a regular public beach. Overall we enjoyed our stay, staff were very friendly and we feel we did make a very good exchange choice.

Pompano Beach
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Our trip started off with a mix-up at check-in. We had booked 2 suites, and despite repeated requests for their proximity, their locations were in 2 different buildings! We were told their were no additional room availability in those buildings, and were down-graded to the main building so we could be next to out family. Our suite was large enough, but had old malfunctioning appliances, miniature tube TVs, and out-dated furniture. We also had issues with booking activities; we signed up for an excursion, only to be called the morning of at 7AM to be told it was cancelled because we were the only ones to register! Don't bother booking the tennis court either; the front desk will double book it, and lose the key to the gate! To the dismay of our kids, the slide in the main pool has been closed since mid-week. The high-speed internet access is Slooooooooow! Finally if you are environmentally conscious, you will be disappointed. I had to lug my recycling 5 minutes away to another building. This is our first Wyndham experience as owners, and it will be our last!

Green Bay, WI
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We have just returned from our vacation. We traveled with our daughter and her husband. We are owners. Checked in in the evening. Was pleasnt and painless. Concierge was insistent on our listening to an "update" for an hour. We did tell the lady that previously in Oceanside we had had a terrible experience with the same thing at a Wyndham. We had even been turned our to a strongarm guy who toles us we were "Stupid" to not upgrade. The concierge apologized for that but was still adamant that we should take advantage of the update. We said we would but would hold them to the 1 hour promise of time needed for it.

We finally got a chance to attend on Friday prior to a planned excursion. The gal was very friendly but after we told her the hour was approaching, she tried telling us we would get her in trouble if we left before they were done with us. We repeated we were leaving in a couple of minutes and wanted to collect the promised voucher and be on our way. We were again delayed by them telling us the girl with the voucher was not at her desk. She did show up and after about 20 minutes over the promised time, we were on our way. The updates are merely opportunities for Wyndham to attempt to sell you more points.

Other than that, and a noisy second bathroom chattering shower our stay was very nice. Maintenance did look at the shower but could not cure the problem. It sounded like a cross between a car engine and a machine gun as it pulsed.
We were put on the third floor of the Sabal Building, facing the pool. The 2 BR unit was spacious and clean and well equipped. The property staff were always friendly. The nearest of the 4 pools was just off of our balcony and was large, clean and beautiful. My son-in-law and I golfed three days at the on site courses and were totally pleased with them. We received 1/2 price fees as we are staying at the Wyndham and they offered a "profusion" package (avilable from May-Sept) for $5. Yes, I said $5! It allows unlimited golf and range balls for the day. It includes a very nice full lunch ( soup, salad bar and hot lunch) a 2 for 1 drink coupon, 10% discounts on proshop merchandise and a free chance drawing daily for future use. This was a total no-brainer.
The resort is only about 14 miles from Fort Laudaerdale airport and is close to many attractions, stores, restaurants, you name it. My wife and daughter had a day at the Spa the first time we golfed and they were completely pleased with the experience. The grounds are well kept and the parking was convenient and clearly lit at night. Our rooms were quiet and relaxing.
I see some others had bad experiences here but I would really be hard pressed to find much wrong with this property. We are frequent travelers and far from naive as to the quality of a property. I do think the hardball pitch on the "update" is truly a downer as anyone who really wants information of that type could certainly ask for it if needed. I do poorly with deception and would feel much better if they titled it an upgrade session so I could pol;itely refuse and enjoy the entirety of my stay. Thuis would keep me from wholeheartedly recommending it to a friend as they might be talked into something they were not prepared for and would then threaten our friendship. Just let vacation remain vacation please and thank you for the great time we had.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pompano Beach
#3 of 38 in Pompano Beach
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Santa Barbara
#1 of 17 in Pompano Beach

Been to Wyndham Palm-Aire? Share your experiences!