“Peaceful and safe”

The Forum
O'Fallon MO
“Peaceful and safe”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I found this hotel on hotels.com. We LIKED the idea of NO alcohol and NO smoking. After years of traveling, my husband was thrilled with that, as he had to listen to drunks, arguments, and loud music at hotels in the past. We were not disappointed!

Our room was clean and quiet, the staff very helpful, and we plan to return next time we need a hotel in that area. The breakfast isn't much, but all we really wanted was coffee. (We had a rental car and went out for a hot breakfast anyway) As we rode the elevator up to our room after coffee, I realized I had left my purse at the table. By the time I went back down, it was already safely being held at the front desk. Obviously this is a great hotel for seniors looking for a quiet, clean hotel. We do not recommend it for young people for the reasons the complaints are mentioned by others: NO alcohol and NO smoking!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 7 October 2010

To start.... Upon check in they give you a form that says no alcohol or smoking permitted...WTF?...I know that most hotels don't allow smoking anymore but alcohol?
The Hotel does not tell you that they are a Christian Hotel. Not that there is anything wrong with that if you are not a smoker & like to have a drink.

When you take the elevator up you see all the different services on each floor that they offer. I got off @ the 3rd floor. I headed to my room the pics on the wall were creepy..It had a aura about the place like you would see in a horror movie with crazy patients running around .. You then had to use a key card to go through a set of double doors that lock...Scary...... I got into my room & it had a strange odor & pictures of children on the wall. I settled in but didn't unpack. I had this weird feeling...& I was right..had a very restless night sleep..the next day I went down & checked out...I was charged a day for early check out..but it was well worth it.!

Please trust me..
This hotel is not for the average traveler...If you want a a getaway to Ft Lauderdale..
This is not for you...This is an industrial area with warehouses, buildings etc..
Very creepy, no stores,no beach,no nothing!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank MikeD63

Travellers are raving about these Pompano Beach hotels

Costa Rica
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Although it is basically a converted office building, this hotel and conference center is such a great value if one needs to be in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area! We will definitely be back! The rooms are comfortable and they even upgraded us to a suite at no extra charge as Expedia apparently booked two double beds instead of the king size bed requested. The reception was very friendly and helpful, a thousand times better than the hotel closer to Miami we stayed at last time while in the area (even though they weren't bad at all.)

My one complaint was that we based our directions off of the address listed under Contact Us on their website, rather than the address listed with the Expedia listing. The address they had on their website is wrong, but I think they have corrected it already! We ended up in a not-so-nice area of town, but navigated our way back to the hotel when we found the correct address in our email.

One important thing to note is that this is a Christian convention center and hotel. We are not Christians, but didn't find anything noticeably different between this hotel and others, save the fact that there is a lot of activity and pictures related to helping children and "hope". The reception, especially at check-in, was fantastic. We couldn't have been happier with a hotel and because it was very close to I95, Florida as a whole was never far away!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 September 2010

THIS IS NOT A THREE STAR HOTEL!!!

I checked in very late at 3 am thanks to my flight. I was NEVER presented a form to sign stating that the hotel was alcohol and smoke free. Expedia only tells you this is a smoke free hotel when booking. We walked through the halls and felt uncomfortable, we knew right away this hotel was a converted hospital. The elevator directory shows you the different 'churches' on every floor. What? Churches? Ohhhh so we're staying at a church ministry retreat center that advertises itself as a hotel. OK. Then we learn the pool and beach are non-existent so we plan to check out after sleeping a while.

The location is a parking lot in the middle of an industrial park. NOTHING is around, no restaurants, nothing.

The hotel room air conditioner was set at 85 degrees and was not blowing out cool air so we were moved to a suite. I pulled back the bedsheets and found BLOOD AND HAIR (immediately took pictures) all over the sheets. The bathrooms are sterile, tiled floors and a stainless steel tray and old mirror left over from the hospital. We were now in the ICU unit. All we were provided were small towels and a small bar of soap.

Fresh, unwashed blood. The hairs were long and dark colored. That was it, we never slept, we called downtstairs to tell them we were leaving. The man at the desk told me to 'take my negativity and go somewhere else' so I took the bedsheets off and placed them on the front desk telling him he can have my negativity back. He then barrages my husband about the six pack of beer in his hands with our luggage and we had NO IDEA there was a no alcohol policy! I had NO IDEA this was a church! He then accuses me of making a racist comment because I said there were black hairs in the bed. I would NEVER make a racist comment and it was simply stating the colors of the hairs I took pictures of.

My god...

We left and Expedia found us a beautiful resort with a pool, beach and we were allowed to bring our six pack of beer. Unbelievable. They still do not tell people over there this is a church thing or about the policy in full.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Shannon S
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2010

OH! The Forum. A definate Diamond in the rough. Its out of the way in a more industrial/business like area. But seriously! Its the most economical and cleanest place your going to find. $59 bucks a night will normally get you crap...@ the forum you get an excellent clean room, big bathroom, flat screen tv, microwave, fridge, smartly decorated. There is free breakfast from 7 am to 10 am that has fruits, bagels, jams, cream cheese, cereal, waffles, orange juice, coffee, tea and muffins. It includes toaster, and toaster oven. Just a wonderful addition for the price. Its sooooo quiet you get the most peaceful sleep after a long day of shopping or sightseeing. The front desk staff is polite and courteous. The location is 25 minutes from Sawgrass mills mall and park and about 20 min away from fort lauderdale beach strip and las olas. Great Value. Don't miss it! Free and secure Parking.

Yes, it is a converted hospital .....but the benefits of that are the security and the cleanliness and quietness other than that you can't tell except for the main doors look like a hospital like entrance way.

Yes, there is a no alcohol policy but i swear i saw people bringing a cooler full of alcohol out. I mean its not like you can't drink outside they just don't want a rowdy environment inside i guess cause its sort of shared with businesses as well.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 17 June 2010

First off, “Yes” The Forum is a Christian meeting/convention center who rents out rooms. Smoking and alcoholic beverages are not allowed, this is abundantly clear on their website. If feel you must ‘have a few drinks’ or suck back a few cancer sticks in your room you should look elsewhere.

If you’re afraid of Christians don’t worry, no one preaches at you or forces you to ‘believe’ a certain way. No one even asked my wife or me about our beliefs.

All that said however, if you’re looking for a clean, quite, safe place to stay at a very reasonable price this is it. Our room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. We had all the amenities we needed. Yes the bathroom is small but there’s plenty of room for an average size adult. I’m 6’1, 200 lbs and had no problem.

The complimentary breakfast is on par with any other hotel, even better than some of the more expensive places we’ve stayed.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. A problem back home caused us to cut or stay short by a day. They were very understanding and even though we checked out late they didn’t charge us for that day. I don’t know of any other place that would have done the same.

We will definitely stay with them again and have no issue recommending The Forum to friends and family.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grayhawk54
Far Rockaway, New York
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I was a bit skeptical after reading some of the reviews but I booked it anyway because of the price and I am so happy I did. It was super clean, super quiet and extremely comfortable and a safe, happy, pleasant enviroment. True no alcohol or smoking are allowed which are the things that make hotels dirty. True that it has religious pictures and scriptures and offers prayer sessions for anyone willing to listen, but it's your choice. It kind of put things into prespectives for me. Choice is the key word. The staff was pleasant and accomodating. The location is remote but accessible if you have a car, which I did. I would definately be back as the price was very good for my 4 night stay at just over $200.00. The breakfast was the only complaint I have as everything is frozen and you can't and wouldn't want to bring back to the comfort of your room but if you are an adult looking for comfort, peace of mind, economically conscious and don't smoke, this is the best place for your money.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
#3 of 38 in Pompano Beach
Sea Cove Motel
Sea Cove Motel
#27 of 38 in Pompano Beach

Been to The Forum? Share your experiences!