“Nice alternative to Fort Lauderdale”

Wyndham Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersSilver level
MD
“Nice alternative to Fort Lauderdale”
Reviewed 14 April 2010

We stayed 7 nights during Passover/Easter break. The place is a nice alternative to a Fort Lauderdale or Miami beach. It's primarily a timeshare resort. All rooms are condos. We had a huge 1 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo. There is also a Jacuzzi tub and a mini-kitchen in the bedroom. Two sleep sofas and full kitchen. Free parking! The pool is small but was not too crowded. The property is across a busy road from the beach properties. You can use all 4 Wyndhams that are in the area. We went to Royal Vista to their beach and used their pools as well. They have a small "market store" that sells breakfast and lunch items as well as BBQ (like hot dogs, mahi-mahi, grilled chicken) for a reasonable cost. We went to PalmAre that is about 15 minute ride. There they have several huge pools with water slide, water cannons, etc. There is also a play ground and a full 18 hole putt-putt (fairly simple, but it's free!). They try to make everyone go to their time-share presentation. On arrival days (that seem to be Fri, Sat, and Sun), they had morning coffee and afternoon cookies with lemonade in the lobby. Overall, we enjoyed our stay. We had a couple of minor issues that were corrected. There were tiny ants in one of the bathrooms. We were also missing pool towels, knives, and sheets for the sofa. Everything was taken care.
Note: there is no daily housekeeping.
Another note: the condos look upgraded with nice HEAVY modern furniture and tile floors in the dining area. That was a problem. The chairs are very heavy. So every morning and throughout the day we heard the people that were above us moving those chairs across the floor. Since they seemed to be early risers, we had to wake up at the time of their early breakfast!!! We also heard their balcony doors as they opened and closed them with the noise that sounded like a metal stick drawn across a metal fence!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank MariLand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Crystal,MN
Reviewed 5 April 2010

This is our 2nd trip to this hotel and once again all I can say was another great time . The resort won't let you down . The staff is the best. The rooms are clean , spacious . The only complaint I had was the weather . The week we stayed was a bit " snappy" in the mornings . We will be back next year

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HeinzCrystal_MN
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 3 April 2010

I picked the Wyndham Santa Barbara for a family vacation based largely on the reviews and was not disappointed. For a quick (four-day) family trip to South Florida, it was perfect. The beach was nice and close, both the access directly across the street and up the block at the Royal Vista sister property. The pool was small but nice for the boys. We had a huge 1-bedroom with 2 bathrooms and 2 balconies. Lots of room for the four of us (2 adults, 2 young boys). The staff was terrific. Nice little surprises like a plate of chocolate chip cookies appearing in the lobby one afternoon. Pretty much everything as advertised. The value can't be beat for the location.

Also, as discussed in other reviews, upon check-in, the concierge will give you a mandatory 10-minute piece about the available gifts if you go to the timeshare meeting the next day before you get your parking pass. You also get some free toiletries and a bunch of coupons, and they pretty much leave you alone after that.

One can also use the facilities at the Royal Vista (2 more pools, oceanfront bar and fitness center).

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank S_M0rris0n
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Ok, first of all I stayed in a studio suite, room 508.
So, my review won't be the same as others, since some had larger suites.
My balcony also faced the (dog) park, and not overseeing the poolside.
But, yes, with view of the canal and ocean , too.

The studio rooms, would be ideally for singles or for couples, esspecially couples in love.
Or with a family with very small children, that you want close by. As only one room is available for all people (up to 4) to sleep.
I actually stayed there with my aunt, but after 2 nights, she couldn't handle the non-privacy of not having her own room. :(

The jacuzzi tub within the room, does come in handy, even though I only used it twice, but on a rainy day, is was the perfect thing to do.
Staying there, is like staying in a hotel. Yup, they even help you bringing up your bags.
Everything is provided in your room, coffee, paper towels, shampoo, even bubble bath.

To get to the beach, I always went via the sister property.
About a 3 to 4 min walk to thier pools, and beach.

The positives:
Close to everything. Small grocery store, and Stingers Pizza and bar. Just a buliding away.
You need to go to Stingers bon a saturday night, Great street entertainment, music, and dance.
Thier pizzas are really good, too. Just don't order any with mushrooms.... it's like a can of mushrooms placed on top.
And thier daily specials ( I had meatloaf), once, are huge !!! And very affordable .

The beach and ocean itself is terrific. Never overcrowded, since it is private.
I stayed there most of the day, and at the sister resort a little.
But, once it gets windy or chills down, it always took me back to the Santa Barbara, for thier outdoor hot tub ! (and to get out of the wind - the bldg protects you from it).

Terrific are the large bathrooms they have on the pool area, complete with showers, too.
Free computer/internet use and print outs, in the Captains room (lobby area).

Negatives:
Don't stay in a studio, with someone else that wants more privacy, it won't work out good.
The common BBQ is used by the Tikibar during the day at times. So, you can't really use it, whenever you want.
Speaking if the Tikibar... hamburgers were selling for $5 plus something.
Your better off walking that 1 bldg over to Stingers....
The climate control in the rooms are noisy. I just turned it off at night. Really didn't need it.
The use of elevators is for me somewhat of a nuissence (but thats only me). I kinda just like to walk out an be there, type of guy. Or walk down or up a few steps.
It's like a highrise hotel, simple as that.
I did agree for a timeshare presentation. Don't think I'll ever do that again.
They tied me up from 9 am to 2pm. 5 whole hrs !
My compensation was $50 cash. But, not worth going thru it all. I wouldn't do it , again.

I have another timeshare at the Surfrider in Pompono Beach, even though it's much older,smaller and less modern, it had more atmosphere.
But, the location at Santa B, was great.... Everything within very short walking distance.

I have no problem going back there, looking forward to it.

Btw, I actually own this timeshare, and not being biased at all.
Feel free to e-mail me, for more info.
Besides, always willing to rent it, or trade it.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank kleineken
St Clair Shores, MI
Reviewed 6 February 2010

We found this resort at the last minute off of south Florida craigslist. We booked it through an owner and the booking process was seamless. Check in was incredible. Our room was not ready, we arrived earlier than check-in time, and we were called immediately when it was done, which was at exactly 4:00pm. We booked a 2 bedroom condo and had a great corner balcony, ocean view (room 810). The accomodations were spacious, spotless, fully stocked. They do not offer maid service, but offer sheets, towels and other amenities as requested. I cannot say enough about the staff, they jump whenever you ask for anything. The pool is heated and the surrounding area is lush and pretty. The on-site bar is lacking, they only offer a few drinks and some lunch items, but we kept stuff in our room. We went across the street to the Royal Vista and it was very nice, larger pool area, right on the beach. We walked to Stingers for breakfast, it was very good. We drove to Publix, a few minute drive, and stocked up on groceries. I really cant say enough about this hotel. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. Great with small kids... TV's, DVD player, some pool toys in a container by the pool. Kiddie-pool at the Royal Vista, but not heated. Small playground also. We did the time-share presentation for the $75. It was 90 minutes and didnt get "pushy" until the very end, but it was worth the $75.00.

Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelChris
Anchorage
Reviewed 26 October 2009

OMG! This place was really fantastic. Our room could have been classified as a penthouse suite. It was very new, although I don't think the building was new. We got a suite which was massive with huge separate bedroom with spa tub, couch, chair, bathroom, balcony and wet bar. The living/dining room was large with flat screen tv, bathroom, wrap-around balcony, table with 6 places and 6-8 places to sit in the living room. The kitchen was also full sized.

Don't eat at the restaurant next door which they will give you coupons for. I think it was Stingers. Very nasty place.

Walk to the sister resort and check out their pool and beach front area. Although, the pool at this hotel was nice.

Difinately eat at Houstons for a special dinner. Very nice.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kscAnchorage
Orlando, Fl
Reviewed 25 October 2009

My partner and I decided we needed a few days off from our busy schedule to relax for 4-5 days and enjoy ourselves. We stayed at this resort for 2 days and was absolutely satisfied. The rooms for this resort were absolutely beautiful and spacious! Full kitchen, with everything that you need from paper towels, silverware, along with comfortable beds and pillows to even a jacuzzi built in right in front of the bed. I thought that was unusual, but the design worked well with the room design. Front desk was nice when we checked in..he also asked for us to stop over at the conceirge desk to get our free parking pass..which was great! The free parking garage was in the back of the building. I had to fill out a 5 question survey about age, income etc. which I knew was for a timeshare opportunity..but she was nice about it, not pushy at all, just an invitation to come the following day if interested. She gave us two goody bags..which I thought was useful..it had toothpaste, hair ties, moisturizers, all things that I was able to use. Our balcony view was the view of high rise condos to our left which were the beach side across the street. Front desk also mentioned that we can use the Wyndam across the street too, which we did with their Fitness room, ocean view! An outside bar area was also over there which was the access to the beach. From the beach, we could see a lighthouse if you look to your left, it was nice. Well, for dinner, we felt like some seafood or steak so we went to Flannigans. Great food and only 3 miles or so away on E Atlantic Blvd. Great Clam Chowder and seafood Gumbo. We also did some shopping while we were there..Sawgrass Mall on Sunrise Blvd about 30 mins or less..and an indoor flea market about 15 mins away. Indoor flea market was ok. We also did a sightseeing cruise (Jungle River) before we got here. It was wonderful. The only negative on this trip was the weather since it just got cold through the weekend and we had sun the last 2 days of our trip. So, it was kind of windy so we didn't get to enjoy the pool as much, just sat by it and relaxed. Overall, it was peaceful and enjoyable. I would come back!

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple