“APPALLED TO STAY HERE”

Wyndham Sea Gardens
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I am appalled at the points I paid, and stayed in the HORRIFIC Waterfall Building. It was FILTHLY dirty! Old, cracked floors, stained carpet, moldy shower curtain, broken blind, bed bugs, hard bed, 1 inch dirt beneath my bed. This was a GROSS room. Never felt relaxed!
Drove down a dark alley to park near our room.
Staff OK, tried to move us, but had no other room

AVOID AT ALL COST

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Tami S

Reviewed 8 August 2011

We took a week in a 2 br condo. No it was not on the beach and we didn't have a view etc, but even though that was lacking the beach was so great and quiet and there was always parking right at the beach so it wasn't the worst. The unit was old needed some love but the people were great and anything we asked for they got right away for us. Our balcony even though not beachfront was huge and overlooked a pool that we shared with maybe 5 rooms. We would go back but this year we made two week reservations at ocean walk in daytona beach instead. Hope all is good there too.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank sueTheodosiaMo
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Hi - we stayed at this resort in March with my parents and my 2 kids who are 4 and 2. It was a lovely "hotel" across the road from the beach. Actually there were 2 buildings on the beach side also. Our room and pool were across the road from the beach and across the road (6th street) from the Main buildings and pools. At first I was miffed about being put so far away but in the end I loved it. The nice guy at the front talked us into it saying they were recently renovated and had washers and dryers, with kids we were sold! Our room was fantastic, spacious, well decorated, nice balcony looking at the pool, good kitchen. The pool was the best part - really warm - probably 85-90 degrees which was perfect for the kids because they could be in for an hour without shivering. Also it was mostly in the sun, with some shade if you wanted, so you could absorb the FLA sun.

The down side was the floor was absolutely filthy. I called right away because we even had a hairball in the kitchen. Our feet were turning black within 10 minutes of being there. They came within a few hours but he came with a mop with a pad on it and did the whole huge floor with that. Well, within the first 3 feet the pad was black so then he was just wiping the rest of the floor with a black pad. When he was done, I called the front desk and she was very professional and sympathetic. They sent someone else the next day but I wasn't there. My parents said that she did the same thing with a mop with a pad that was black within minutes but the difference was when she was done she put on a white glove and swiped the floor in the kitchen and declared it clean. So I gave up. The only other thing was my bed was terrible. I was in a single in the 2nd bedroom and it was totally lopsided. After my floor experience I decided not to complain to them about the bed. Also, my parents king bed was great.

The beach is across the road, a 5 minute walk from our room, and is absolutely gorgeous. Everything you'd expect from a florida beach. White sand, huge, and just gorgeous.

I don't know the definition of "resort" but to me that would have food, good food, available. This is an excellent large hotel with numerous pools. It's not really for singles or partying, more quiet and family atmosphere. If they are looking to improve they could add a splash pad or a good park to enhance the family atmosphere. The pool at the beach is dead space - I never saw anyone in it and it was freezing - that would be a great place of park or splash area. If you are going with small kids - there is a great park at the other end of Pompano near the lighthouse.

Overall - we had a great week here and would definitely go back and recommend it to others - just bring your own mop! :)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JcamToronto
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed for a week using a timeshare. Had a two bedroom unit that was very spacious. Full kitchen came in very nice for eating lunch in the room. Very clean and staff was friendly.

Being a timeshare resort,they did want you to do the whole breakfast or lunch thing to try and sell you....but all you have to say is no. Not a big deal at all.

My favorite part was the short distance to the beach. Loved having the cross walk right in front of the resort.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank nikki37743
Reviewed 5 July 2011

From the beginning the reservation process was very frustrating. I made the reservation on Thursday. I was not made aware of that I was not making the reservation at the hotel nor was I made aware of that the reservation takes 3 days to reach the hotel??? When I called the hotel that day to ask about the room they told me that they had no reservation for me and that it should be to them by Friday...the day I am checking in. I called Friday afternoon at 4pm and they still did not have the reservation. They gave me an 800 number for ME to call and ask them to email my reservation over to the hotel desk. Now you would think that if a person makes a reservation and they will be checking in the next day that someone would think "hey, maybe we should email this reservation over now instead of waiting our normal 3 days".......

By the time I went thru all of the stress of just making sure that I was actually going to have a room when I checked in, I never did get to make the room request accomodations that I was calling for in the first place. And that is a whole other ordeal. I wanted to make sure that I had an ocean view front room that was the 2 bedroom that I paid for that they show on the website. Well, I got an ocean view front room but nobody bothered to tell me that it was a block away from the beach. The website is so deceptive. It shows the hotel and it shows the beach...like you are actually staying right on the beach. I wanted to be able to hear the ocean waves and you couldn't hear them at all. On the most part all you could hear were the kids screaming in the pool.

Then after we had checked in late Friday night, first thing Saturday morning we are both awakened by a leaf blower or some other loud abnoxious mechanical yard tool. Really, on a Saturday morning they find it necessary to wake up their guests to that? And the beautiful little pond that they show going thru the hotel was under construction. Quite an eye sore.

Then, our dvd player did not work. I called Saturday night when we couldn't watch a movie and was told that someone would bring another one up to me within 30 minutes. We waited and no one ever came. On the way back from the beach the next day, I stopped in the front office and asked them about the dvd player and about staying 1 more day. Talk about poor customer service. I wanted to stay 1 more day only because they would not let me have a late check-out. Check-out is at 10am and if you go 1 hour past that they will charge you $100.00 per hour??? I figured if I pay for an extra day I could leave about 5 and still have time to make it home and be at work the next day. They gave me an 800 number and told me I'd have to call in the morning because they are not open on Sundays...kind of defeats the purpose now doesn't it. And why can't the people working in the front office help you in anyway with reservations. About the dvd player, I was told I should of asked them earlier because they only have 2 of them at the front desk and it is really hard for them to get away and I never received a dvd player. If they don't make reservations and they can't help you with anything if you have a problem, then just what are they getting paid to do?????

This was the first vacation in 2 years that I actually had the time and was able to afford to go somewhere. I am really, really disappointed that I choose to stay at Wyndham Sea Gardens.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank tjtravel1234
Reviewed 4 July 2011

On the plus side: the room was super nice. I don't know what the building's called, but we had a 2 bedroom apartment with a jacuzzi tub in the master suite, and a washer and dryer in the hall closet.
On the minus side: the check-in process requires you to visit the concierge desk, where they will attempt to twist your arm until you agree to attend a time-share pitch. If you manage to escape the concierge desk when you check in, they will CALL YOUR ROOM (because telephone sales people are what we all hope to experience on vacation) and ply you with offers of free gifts (a disposable razor, according to my cousin) waiting for you at their desk. No mention of a sales pitch.
Also, we wanted to rent a hobie cat, but were told it was too windy to take the boats out. Really? 15 knots is too windy for a catamaran? We've been doing this all wrong.....
Oh - and they need a no-swim-diaper policy in the hot tub by the outdoor pool.
The room really was spectacular, though. So if you're good at dodging telemarketers, and you aren't interested in renting a hobie cat, this could be a great vacation spot.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank pedsfs
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I just want to say this place is fantasy and lovely My husband and I had the studio looking out at the beach. When we first walk in the customer service was great and Ms. Doris is very friendly and helpful. Love the boat ride. My studio was very clean smell clean and had plenty of towels. So I will tell everyone the Wyndham is great. Thanks Wyndam Sea Gardens.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple