“Exceeded Expectations in Every Way”

Beachcomber Resort and Villas
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
“Exceeded Expectations in Every Way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I have only ever given one other hotel (the Metropole in Bellagio, Italy) in my many reviews of hotels from around the world such a high rating. But this one deserves it. We stayed for 5 nights pre-cruise in late November 2013. Living in a cold climate region, we wanted a beach front location and checked out all of the hotels on Trip Advisor that were beach front in and around Fort Lauderdale. The hotels in Fort Lauderdale on the beach were so very expensive, and since we had rented a car, we decided to try the Beachcomber which is a little farther north in Pompano Beach. The price was extremely reasonable for an ocean front room and they accommodated our request for a higher room so we could get a good view of the ocean from our balcony. Surprise, surprise, all you had to do was turn your head while still in bed to get the incredible view. This is an older property, but they were going through refurbishment (nothing that bothered us in the least) and everything was so very nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. The grounds were beautiful and for a very small charge, we rented a beach cabana with two lounge chairs and table for the beach. We had one dinner and one breakfast in their restaurant which, again, exceeded our expectations. We rented a car and found that it was just a short drive to every place we wanted to visit in Fort Lauderdale. The service was excellent. Thank you for a great stay. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: If staying in an ocean front, try to get a higher room as lower rooms may have a little obstructed v...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
DeLand, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

We just returned home from a visit to south florida for thanksgiving with the family. The Beachcomber was even more amazing than the reviews. We were in a disabled room due to my mobility issues and the room was GORGEOUS. The beds were comfortable and felt like I was sleeping on a cloud. They gave me a shower chair to use in the bathroom and we had a nice kitchenette and the room was clean and really nice. The food in their restaurant was amazing and so well cooked! I had room service and we ate the first night on the patio right over looking the beach. The service was perfect, the food was plentiful and it was a truly great evening with family and friends. This hotel should be number 1 on tripadvisor because it is so wonderful! The staff could not have been more friendly and everyone wants to help! Thank you Beachcomber Resort for a vacation where every need was met!

Room Tip: I was in room 908 which overlooks the pool and the beach. It has a beautiful open view to the pool...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Terryminator
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

This place has positives and negatives. The first thing is you must make absolutely sure that you get a room with a balcony!! Apparently, I booked us a European room which in this case meant a closet. It was extremely small, tiny and stinky. Luckily an ocean front room became available. It was worth the extra charge!! There are palm trees in front of the view if that would bother anyone. The room was ok not great. The bed was fine, soft and firm. The room needed a good scrub down. The balcony made this trip for me! I loved sitting out there in the mornings and anytime. The staff was all very nice too. They had construction going on which wasn't a big deal but it seemed like there were areas missing from what you see on website. You have to rent the cabanas and beach chairs daily which can add up. Many good things to say and a few not so good. By the time we departed I think we would give this place more positives than negatives! Probably a tad above average.
Miami is not that far of a drive but be prepared for the traffic! The mall isn't to far either and has every store and more!

Volo, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

My husband and I spent the last night of our honeymoon at the Beachcomber. We booked on hotwire and requested at least a 4 star rating. My husband had lived in the area so we were comfortable in Pompano. We got the to hotel and you entered the lobby and it had an icky smell of musty air. We get to our room and it was sooo small and oldly laid out. The room smelled and hadn't been updated for a long time. The bathroom was small but it had an updated vanity and tub. Our toilet sounded like a monsoon after you flushed and had a hard time getting a piece of toilet paper down. The bed sheets were rough, stinky, and had some stains on them. I did not have a good night sleep and thought about leaving. It was nice to have beach access and had a nice restaurant where we had a good and reasonably priced meal. I have never complained about a hotel before, but this was bad.

8 Thank kdierker
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

We stayed at the Beachcomber Resort in Pompano Beach, FL on our way back from Puerto Rico. The room, food,and people were top notch. For a hotel the food was excellant. We had a great time at the bar and the bartender wes great. the pool was heated and had plenty of room for everyone. We are thinking of staying here for a week next year in their 2 bedroom suite.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room.
Cobden, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

My sister and I met at the Fort Lauderdale Airport and spent one week together at Best Western Beachcomber. Our mother had brought us here for a vacation several years ago. I had asked the front desk to PLEASE give us a beautiful view as one other time I was behind one of the trees. They gave us a beautiful room on the 8th floor. I want to thank them for a wonderful vacation. The resort has been remodeled in those years and it still is the best, most affordable place I have stayed. We ate breakfast and lunch by the pool. The girls who served us were friendly and the meals were wonderful. Now they have food and drinks brought to you on the beach and those fellas are nice and nice to look at too! LOL I highly recommend Beachcomber.

Room Tip: The rooms on the poolside and towards the ocean are what to ask for. If you like a little less pool...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sunnysis2013
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

First out of the gate, MAKE SURE TO CONTACT THE HOTEL AFTER YOU RESERVE A ROOM ON THE WEBSITE. I was informed by the front desk that they do not guarantee any bed configuration, even if you reserve it as such on the website. Upon further investigation, it is stated this in small text on the website. If you do not contact them, they will contact you. Not a deal breaker, but an important tidbit if you have specific needs.

For us, I was traveling with family and needed 2 beds, which is what I reserved. The hotel upgraded us to a 1 bedroom villa. When we questioned it, the front desk wasn't very helpful and claimed she couldn't understand our displeasure since what we got was nearly double the cost of what we reserved. It was nice to have the upgrade but it did put a kink in plans since one of our party ended up sleeping on the couch cushions on the floor as the pull out was horribly uncomfortable. After the stay I had a discussion with the manager of the hotel. Basically, there was a mixup and we could have approached the hotel again the next night to ask to be put into a room we had booked. The only reason this didn't happen was miscommunication. We assumed that when the clerk at the front desk said she wouldn't be able to put us anywhere else that she meant for the duration of our stay. So we didn't ask. This is a lesson learned on my part and again, the manager discussed with me ways to insure things like this doesn't happen in the future.

Behind our villa there was a service corridor for staff. There were times in the morning where it literally sounded like they were doing construction in the corridor. I was woken up 2 mornings prior to 7am. Again, the manager of the hotel has assured me he will look into this matter and see to it that it ceases in the future.

PROS: Nice beach with plenty of open space. Cabanas/Chairs are a bit pricey, but a nice add on. The A/C in the villa was top notch, froze us out most nights. Bathroom was clean, big open shower, and plenty of natural light. Medium sized fridge saved us some money on eating out and kept us in cold drinks. Location along Hwy A1A makes it easy to get to, as well as it's proximity to Atlantic Blvd. Pompano Beach proper is just down the road, which has lifeguards if that is important to you. The heated pool near the tiki bar is nice.

All in all, the stay was good and after a discussion with the manager, I would definitely stay here again and recommend someone else to stay as well. I had a 15 minute long conversation with the manager, AFTER we had left for the airport, in which we discussed my issues, which I detailed in a previous, not-too-nice review. He then followed up with 2 emails.

Frankly, I have to applaud Mr. Miller on his skill as a manager, he showed me that is important to allow the human element to make an attempt to effect a correction of a negative. If I learned anything from my stay here at the Beachcomber is it, "If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask the front desk and if you aren't satisfied ... always ask again."

Room Tip: Be sure to follow up with the hotel to insure the room you want is the room you get.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Oceans Beach Resort & Suites
#21 of 36 in Pompano Beach
Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront
Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort
Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A No...
#10 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,582 reviews
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,346 reviews

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!