“Great get away!”

Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Buffalo, New York
“Great get away!”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I did a lot of research on the Beachcomber before planning our trip. I was nervous because there are a lot of mixed reviews. We booked an ocean front room with a king bed. The room was perfect. We brought our 9 month old(hotel provided free pack n play for her to sleep in) we were able to put her bed near the bathroom which had a small separate area that was nice and dark for nap time! Our king bed and pillows were very comfortable. The air conditioning worked perfectly. The two lounge chairs on the balcony were nice and comfortable with a stunning view(room 211). The tiki bar by the pool was nice with a good bartender. Frozen drinks were $10 and not very strong. Bloody Mary's were our favorite. Free chairs and towels by the pool were a plus. The larger pool was heated but the smaller one was pretty cold with no heat. We got a cabana on the beach for $20/day one day. It came with 2 lounge chairs. Nice for when baby was napping. On the weekend it was busy and pool and beach chairs were all reserved by 10am. Breakfast on the beach was very good and beautiful. Dinner menu looked to pricey so we went other places for dinner. Unless you are planning on eating at the resort every night I would recommend a car to get places. Not much close by. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Beach was beautiful and well kept. I would recommend splurging for a nice room at this resort. SO worth it! We would return for sure!

• Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
Shelby Township, Michigan
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The facility is older but was very clean. It's in the perfect spot and on the beach about halfway between the Pompano pier and the Lauderdale on the Seas pier. Very calm and quiet area of A1A.
We had a 2nd floor balcony (205) just outside the pool and right accross from the Tiki Bar. Our room was very close to the elevators, which for us was good because we were constantly going in and out of the room. Nice view from the balcony although our room had only a partial view of the ocean and a full view of the pool.
We arrived around 1:30pm and our room was not ready until 3pm, but that was expected. That gave us time to have lunch which was very good, but a little pricey, especially the drinks. We had breakfast the next morning and that was good too. We found a nice alternate dining place accross the street called Stingers, which became our main dining spot over the course of our 5 days in Fla. Stingers has breakfast too.
The main pool area is nice but they charge extra for things like chair cushions, beach umbrellas, etc. You need to reserve your pool chairs early as other guests will "mark" their chairs early every morning.
Housekeeping took a long time to get to us each day and 'forgot' to clean our room one day. The only ice machine is on the first floor near the elevators, which was OK for us because we were still close. If we were on a higher floor, this would have been a problem.
Our room was fine but I would pay a little more and try to get a 4th floor or higher oceanfront room next time. It's farther from the airport than I thought and will cost about $40 -$50 for a taxi.

Overall, Beachcomber Resort is a bit pricey, but so is everywhere else at this time of year. The pros still outway the cons by a large margin and we would come again and probably will.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We arrived early for our pool side reservation and enjoyed the pool while waiting for our room to be ready. When checking on our room at 2;45 PM (check in is at 3:00), we were told that our room wasn't ready yet and basically don't call us we will call you (they had taken our number earlier to call when room was ready). At 3:45 I went to check on our room again and was told that it was ready at 3:00, but apparently I should have known that when the not so professional front desk employee(James) was rude enough to give me attitude when I was upset that no one had called me. I guess the changing of the guard is at 3:00 and one crew does not communicate with the on coming crew. Never the less the rudeness of James was certainly not appreciated and very unprofessional. We stayed at the pool with guests and family members until about 9:00 pm. We had a wonderful time out there, the bartender Steve was great, the pool staff was wonderful, the food was really good. Unfortunately when we got to our room there was no cord to the blow dryer, the tv would not turn on, and in the middle of the night the a/c turned off and would not come back on. I informed the front desk staff of all of that information when checking out the next morning, and was assured that the manager would be in contact with me because he is very good about that (according to them). Never heard from him. So to sum it all up, I have mixed emotions about this resort. I would like to go back there, but probably not stay there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Karen B
BeachcomberGM11, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
After reading this review, I did investigate what occurred any how we missed following up with Ms. B about the issues she expressed in her review. As bizarre a coincidence as this may seem; we had another guest who had some issues about their stay with a very similar last name, 2 room numbers off from Ms. B’s room that weekend that we did contact after their stay with us (and resolve). Our Front Office Manager had dealt with that situation and when he reviewed his notes from the weekend thought he had followed up with this Ms. B but we dropped the ball. The last names he had were very similar and off by just one letter.

With that revelation, I personally contacted this Ms. B (the one who wrote this review) and apologized and explained why we failed to follow up as well as discuss the issues expressed in her review. Ms. B was very reasonable and as hard as this is to believe (on her end) was very understanding.

We also discussed what goes on behind the scenes here as far as check out/check in times and the dynamics of what it takes for us to get our arriving guests in on time by our 3 PM check in time and why sometimes we cannot make an early check in time possible. I did however take Ms. B’s remarks to heart as far as the impressions she got when she was checked in after waiting until after 3 PM when she expected us to call her when the room was ready and understand her frustration.

Ms. B did share more information about the other issues she touched upon regarding her room and she did say that she did not mention these issues until check out. I told her that I wished she had contacted us when these problems arose so we could have had an opportunity to resolve them since we do have staff on duty to address maintenance issues in real time.

We do appreciate Ms. B’s feedback and did apologize for falling short on our follow up and the issues she had with us during her stay. We do take these remarks seriously and constructively so that we can improve and avoid situations like the one described in her review from re-occurring.
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Cons: We had a European room. I definitely would not go with that again. There is no balcony and none of the windows open. The room stunk and we had to buy candles and febreeze and keep the air on to get rid of the smell. It was very musty. The ice machine is on the first floor, we were on the fourth. I ordered the Reese pie to go one night and it was terrible. It was hard and tasted like cardboard, not sure if it was old? The outdoor restaurant for dinner was nice for the scenery but the food was not good and the service was terrible. We were there for two hours!
Pros: great location, near lauderdale by the sea. Good pool and lounge chairs, just be sure to get there early. Many people reserve chairs with pads for a fee the day before and they are already taken and set up in the morning. Breakfast by the pool was wonderful! Service was much better than evening for dinner. Bartender at tiki hut was very nice. I think his name was Steve. Very good coconut colada and mudslide! But $10/piece. The hotel also gave us gym passes, but we had to ask for them. To You Fit gym within a couple of miles from hotel. The gym is sort of like planet fitness. Some of the equipment for cardio is old, but I was told they will be replacing it all very soon. It was no questions asked when we went to the gym. We were not asked to join, tour, etc! Beach was very clean. Umbrellas and chairs were available for a fee. All in all, we may stay there again, but chose a different room. We ended up at this hotel as a result of Expedia messing up our original booking.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Coldwater, Michigan
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed March 13 thru the 20 2014. Had a great relaxing time. Morning coffee on the balcony with the ocean was out standing. Room was clean. Steve the tiki bar tender was great. Beach was very clean. Family Resort. Older Hotel but great maintenance. Food was great also, served inside or on the beach. Lauderdale by the Sea, 2 miles to the right by beach or sidewalk. great restaurants, shopping. also have bus, shuttle or taxis if you don't want to walk. Have fun enjoy.

Room Tip: balcony on floors 6 thru 8 toward the end like number 04 thru 10. We stayed in room 604 great view...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jon H
Mason, Ohio
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed at hotel for one night before taking a cruise. The beach was nice and the facilities outside were good. The room was very small, musty, and in disrepair. The food on the premises, we had lunch and dinner, was ok but the service was absolutely horrible. Our group had the same server for lunch and dinner and she was slow and unaware. I felt that we overpaid for what we received.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carl B
Suffield, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The Beachcomber is in a great location, not a lot of traffic on the main drag. The two double bed rooms (we had room 401) are perfect for 2 people, plenty of room. Room was clean, bathroom was clean and pretty big. Shower was clean and had a window in the shower that opened, high enough that nobody could see in! The balcony has a view of the ocean, not ocean front, but you can see and hear it. There are two chaise lounges & small table on the balcony. Ocean front huge tiki hut for breakfast, lunch and dinner was awesome, waitstaff was fantastic. I'm an early riser, I went down to the tiki hut every morning by 6:45am before they were ready for breakfast. Staff let me go into their outdoor poolside kitchen, pour my own "to go" coffee in styrofoam cup and I would out to the beach, sit in the adirondack chair and watch the sunrise and relax until my cousin came down for breakfast. Tables on beach for lunch/dinner. Pool side Tiki bar - great, drinks were pretty strong! Pools were clean & nice. Property was well maintained, beach cleaned every morning. One reviewer critiqued the hotel on its age. This isn't the Ritz Carlton, it's an older hotel, but if you can't afford to stay at the Ritz, don't blame the hotel you choose! This hotel was very clean, inside and outside. Only critique I have was the day front desk staff. They were ok, but indifferent?? Now, the overnight front desk guy, Fred I believe his name was (could be wrong) he was the most outgoing, friendly person there. He was wonderful. He would go out of his way to make sure you were taken care of. Overall, this was one of the best trips I've done, between the Expedia package, the hotel experience, the beach and atmosphere, I'd recommend this hotel everyday!

Room Tip: Rooms 710 and 810 are oceanfront, have the best view and also have a large wrap around balcony. Cost...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Oceans Beach Resort & Suites
#21 of 37 in Pompano Beach
Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront
Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort
Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A No...
#11 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,619 reviews
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,399 reviews

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!