“From a Handicapped Point of view”

Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We are Wyndham owners. I travel with a power scooter. I always confirm my handicapped room a day or two before arrival. On this stay, 3/1-3/4/2014 I called and they did not have a record of the reservation being handicapped. Almost 100% of hotels will loan you a shower chair if they do not have a unit with a built-in chair. I was told that the Royal Vista has stopped doing that but they could give me the name of a business I could rent one from. We were traveling by car, so I brought my own. Bulky and a pain to pack, but better than not having one. Also, when we arrived, our unit did not have a handheld shower head. This is pretty important if you are in a shower chair which makes the water controls unreachable. To their credit, I convinced them to switch out the head for a handheld. Only problem was that it came at 10am the next day. Not great, but they did put one in.
Other than that, the lobby is almost inaccessible by wheelchair or scooter. The rand is around the corner inside the covered parking and the narrow entrance door is not power operated.
All of the above is from the perspective of someone with limited mobility and has special needs bathing.
For the more traditional traveler, the resort is very nice. Being on the ocean, all resort rooms I stayed at are a little humid. At the royal Vista, the air-conditioning could use some updating. It struggled to keep the unit cool in the heat of the day. The kitchen, as is with most Wyndham Timeshare units, is very nice and modern. The bedroom is attractive and very functional. The mattress is at the end of its lifespan. There was some mold in the shower, but nothing terrible
All of the staff we encountered were very nice and professional.

Room Tip: obviouisly, ask for an ocean view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Matthew B
Mariana T, Manager at Wyndham Royal Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Matthew

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your recent stay here at Wyndham Royal Vista. We greatly appreciate your comments, as they help us in our effort to continually improve our level of service.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you encountered during your stay at Wyndham Royal Vista.
Your feedback is valuable to us.
We have noted them and will be addressing them with the concerned.

We want you to know how much we appreciate your visit to the resort, and how much we value you as our Guest. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This was our second stay at this location and I have booked us in again for 2014. The location on the beach is perfect. It is close to everything you could think of. Casinos are close for gamblers, the Keys are an easy day trip. The staff is first rate, they seem to know what you want before you even ask. Looking forward to 2014 visit

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Doug F
Mariana T, Manager at Wyndham Royal Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Doug

Thank you for taking the time to write this review regarding your recent stay here at Wyndham Royal Vista. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will help us to continually improve our level of service.

On behalf of the Team and myself, thank you and we look forward to your next visit to the Wyndham Royal Vista ~ your home away from home ~

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed here in December 2013 for a week by recommendation of a Wyndham employee for the best resort in the Fort Lauderdale area. When I checked in, I asked for an ocean view room, since it was late in the evening everything had been assigned. We had a view of the intercoastal waterway-kind of. Not much to see. We were staying here before and after picking up our daughter from a semester at sea 'cruise' so my in-laws, husband, daughter and a couple of her friends from the trip stayed with us for a couple of days. The place is kind of tired compared to other Wyndham properties we've been to. The tile work in the bathroom needs some work and just general updates. We had a two bedroom, 2 bath which was very comfortable. The second bedroom and bathroom were 'huge'!! The master was a generous size also. One night the shower broke in the second bathroom and when we called maintenance they came right away but couldn't fix it that night, so we had one bathroom for too many people! He shut off the water which also shut off the water for the kitchen sink. We had to turn the water back on and let in run in the shower all night so we could at least use the sink and toilet and kitchen sink. Kind of a pain but we made it work. Fixed the next morning when he could get parts. Didn't care for the fact that the washer and dryer were in the master bathroom. Should have been in the main living area
Upon check-in the concierge was pretty persistent that we attend the breakfast for owners. We really didn't have time to spare but she insisted we set up a time so we did. I forgot about it and they called to reschedule, still no time and pretty persistent. I was also persistent that we didn't have time and I'm glad we didn't go, usually waste a whole morning at those things and get nothing out of them. Much nicer week without that.
The beach was very nice although it is small and there was a lot of heavy equipment there and men working while we were there. Lots of 'beep beep' noise that was a little annoying. There were umbrellas and chairs to rent I guess, we didn't because I don't believe that you should have to rent equipment if you are staying at the resort.
Housekeeping was to come through once during the week and I was told that they would do the beds if there was nothing on them. Well, they came through and swapped out clean towels but didn't make the beds or even touch them and there was nothing on them...???
I definitely would love to stay in a beach side room next time if I was just going for the relaxation of the water. We were not in our room or at the resort long enough to even care this time.
Staff at the front desk was very nice and helpful everytime we needed something.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Missylu6
Mariana T, Manager at Wyndham Royal Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest

We want you to know how much we appreciate your visit to the resort, and how much we value you as an Owner. We hope that you will give us another opportunity at Wyndham Royal Vista in the future. We are confident we will exceed your expectations.

Thank you again for your comments.

Phone: 954-233-7500

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

I am concerned that they treat non member customers with less respect and responsiveness. We had to beg for a standard one week cleaning. I can't believe that the pool closes at dusk. I also don't appreciate the salesman shoving a time share down my throat with lies about the current economic times. He was an out and out liar. My advice is don't buy a time share.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Footdoctor51
Mariana T, Manager at Wyndham Royal Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest (Footdoctor51)

Thank you for taking your valuable time to complete the Tripadvisor surveys regarding your recent stay here at Wyndham Royal Vista.

We are pleased that you had an enjoyable time with your family.

Your feedback is much appreciated and we will look into these areas.

We look forward to your next visit to the Wyndham Royal Vista ~ your home away from home ~

Your Team at Wyndham Royal Vista

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at the Wyndham Royal Vista. Our one bedroom condo was on a corner and we had a view of the inter-coastal and a side view of the ocean. The balcony wrapped-around. The condo was spacious and had lots of closet and drawer space.
The resort had two outdoor pools and they were spaced so it was not crowded. We also enjoyed the TiKi bar. There was a convenience store across the street and a pub - Stingers.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Mariana T, Manager at Wyndham Royal Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Ms Parkerson

Thank you for taking your valuable time to complete the Tripadvisor and Wyndham surveys regarding your recent stay here at Wyndham Royal Vista.

We greatly appreciate your comments and want you to know how much we appreciate your visit to the resort, and how much we value you as our Owner.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year 2014!

Your Team at Wyndham Royal Vista

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I love the beach and go as often as possible. I perused TA relentlessly and this Wyndham kept rising to the top. I booked a 2bd/2ba unit and we stayed last (Thanksgiving).week.

The unit was roomy, in great shape, clean, and the beds slept well. Zero complaints.

Now the stuff that bugged me: The balcony was smallish, with 2 VERY uncomfortable chairs, which makes for enjoying the view for longer than 10 minutes painful. Be ready to greet the neighbors as the balconys' aren't private.

There is no maid service. They will provide you with all the towels, pt., soap, etc., you could possibly want, but you must place your trash and all used towels down the chute next to elevator. (I'm on vacation and don't want to do this!)

Many reviews said how great the beach was, which is one reason I picked this place. However, it's a very small beach, and once the rental co. puts its cabanas and umbrellas up, one feels like a sardine. And this was in November. I'm told in the summer it is absolutely packed, with three deep rows of umbrellas and cabanas on one tiny stretch of sand. I don't want someone right on top of me at the beach. Also, the sun goes behind the buildings by 3pm. (this could be later come summer time) Not too much beach time for me.

The two pools are small and are in the shade 75% of the time.Again, the buildings surround it (no ocean view) and there are maybe 20 loungers that get sun. Who wants to stare at buildings? I did find the very neat sun deck which has loads of sun and a nice view.

I had read several comments about ck in time, and 'begging' for a room with a view. I actually showed up at 2ish and my 5th floor 'street' view room was available. All I asked for was a higher room. I was actually told a 7th floor was avail. with a partial inter-coastal view. I took it. And then came the long lecture about the beach towels and towel passes, and how one or the other had to be returned at the end of our stay or we would get fined--a lot. I had to initial that, too.

I've been to a lot of condos, and this is the one place we were charged the same rate whether our room was 'street' or 'ocean' view. I guess that's where the begging comes in from other reviewers. That simply is not equitable to me, to get a crummy view, and pay the same as someone getting an ocean front!

Last, we would ask for a paper to be delivered, or to have 'maid' service. This was always answered with, "are you a gold or platinum member?" I finally said, "No but we are a PAYING member!" Pompano just doesn't do it for me-- not even good restaurants, and this Wyndham didn't have a good enough beach for a second time try.I'd pass on this place and area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Beachlover100Ohio
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We have stayed there before and it's going downhill. The outside is still impressive but maintenance is lacking. Mold around the showers in the bathroom. Dishwasher didn't work and they were very quick to replace it, it's to bad they didn't attach it to the cabinets, problems opening the door. Ice maker didn't work and they there quickly to replace the refrigerator with one that needed the door reversed. Air handler on the heat pump was the noisiest I have ever heard, We just shut it off at night. The people are all very accommodating and friendly. I will go to Sea Garden next time or somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family