“Great location, great facilities, great staff - average room”

Ponte Vedra Inn & Club
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great location, great facilities, great staff - average room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Had the opportunity to spend three nights here. Great location along the ocean. The golf course if top notch - even better than TPC Sawgrass. The fairways and greens were in excellent condition. The exercise facility was also fantastic. Finally, the staff was extremely helpful and extremely warm and welcoming. The only downside was the room. I had a room in the Beach Building and the bedroom was extremely dated. Very nice bathroom, but the bed sets and the room was not anything to write home about. Otherwise, a great place to visit, and check out a beautiful sunrise along the Atlantic.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank USAWelder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Hinsdale, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Excellent. Accommodations and staff are second to none. Beautiful rooms. If it were possible, we'd move in and live there permanently . We have been going for the past several years and always look forward to it.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful. Ocean front is obviously premiere.
newrock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I spent 2 nights here on a recent business trip and give the Inn & Club very high marks. The staff is highly professional and courteous, the facilities excellent and the beachfront location unbeatable. Most rooms, including the one I had, are across a quiet street from the main building, in a series of 2 story structures that are right on the beach. The rooms are large and comfortable, with luxury hotel decor and features. A terrace or patio off each room is directly in front of the beach. Though I did not take advantage of the pool or beach services, I did use the gym and found it to be outstanding, with great beach views from the exercise equipment. I will definitely look forward to returning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Milford, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed at The Ponte Vedra Inn & Club over the Easter Holiday this year for six days. I was hesitant as I was unfamiliar with this area of Florida and unsure of the club itself. There were wonderful reviews for the Lodge in Conde Nast (which is part of this property resort but 1.5miles down the beach) but we had our 12 year old son with us and wanted a little more proximity to the tennis and golf amenities. We could not have been more pleased with our choice.

I spoke to the concierge on the phone for quite awhile after booking to be sure we had made the right choice and while we could not request a specific 'room', we could ask to be placed in a specific building. She recommended (and SO glad she did) The Beach House. Completely renovated only a month ago, it was beautifully furnished and ideally located. We opted for, as so many here recommended, the preferred oceanfront and am so glad we did. The views from our room and patio were spectacular and were such a welcomed pleasure even when the weather was less than cooperative. The patio was set up with two chairs and one table, but with three in our accommodations, we requested a third chair, which they quickly provided. I had been concerned that the walkway to and from the pool would make our accommodations feel less private, but even with a very full property, the privacy afforded us was wonderful.

Our plan included Bed & Breakfast and we did enjoy the food at the Club, however the buffet did not depart from the same menu selections daily with the exception of switching pancakes and french toast options. After 3 days our son was not enthusiastic about eating the same items and opted instead to eat in the room from items we had purchsed at the store. The staff was always friendly and helpful, though the waitstaff at breakfast varied, from offering juices and coffees and asking if we would like toast with our items (Thank you Annette!), to having to flag them down for our first cup of coffee (another server). The fact that gratuity is included is at times, in my experience a culprit in these instances. The omelet station was well stocked with fresh items and were perfectly made.

Our room included a 'wet bar' area that almost doubled as a small kitchenette. Perfect for having our own stash of cocktail fixings and hors d'oeuvres. It did also contain a microwave, small refrigerator (not shared with minibar items) and a few dishes and silverware. We made use of these for snacks and drinks.

The room size was very commodious and comfortable. There was a full sized dresser (a very appreciated piece and harder to find in my experience) plus an entertainment center and separate desk & chair plus an nice upholstered club chair. The bath was beautifully fitted and included both a bath tub and a separate shower as well as a w/c in a private enclosure.

We also made use of the Spa services while we were there. My husband enjoyed a massage and I had both a pedicure and facial. My husband reported that though the massage was nice, it was not the best he has had. I enjoyed both my pedicure and my facial and felt happy with both services. The Spa itself is beautiful and includes a private pool and covered veranda that is absolutely lovely. The locker rooms were nicely appointed and the staff at the spa was extremely attentive. I enjoyed a delicious salmon caesar salad while there as well as a couple of glasses of wine. Though both were pricey in my humble opinion. (A glass of Sonoma Cutrer was 13.50). I would highly recommend use of the spa while at your stay. Getting a simple service affords you use of the facilities before and after your service. Be sure to use the steam room and sauna BEFORE your pedi though! ;)

We stopped into the Pub one evening to have a drink and found a lively crowd there. Though as we sat and watched it became evident that everyone knew everyone else. The Ponte Vedra Inn and Club sells memberships to local residents in the area and many enjoy the Pub while they are in town and visiting. That made being hotel guests a little odd, since there was little opportunity to just 'chat' with other guests as most were locals and were engage in conversation among themselves.

The weather was not terribly cooperative for either tennis or golf while we were there, but we spoke to several other guests who frequent the property on a more regular basis and they had nothing but glowing things to say about both.

We used the family pool area as well as the surf club for both food and drinks. The family pool area was very busy on the one sunny and warm day that we had, so much so, that we had difficulty finding a lounge chair. The club does provide beach towels for use at the pool or beach, however they are modest in size and are more of a bath towel.

Though the weather was not really suited for beach use, (due to wind) we did take note of the cost of beach chair and umbrella rentals...at $15/day for chairs and $14 for an umbrella, that gets pricey quick. Many guests did bring or buy their own chairs instead. Bike rentals were something like $10/hour. YIKES!

On the upside, the food at the poolside grill was somewhat reasonably priced and actually was quite good! The cocktails were delicious and not 'all ice'.

We ate at the Seahorse Grill one night and while the food was well prepared and presented the portions were on absolutely different planets. I had the Chilean Sea Bass which was wonderful but there were really no sides presented with it at all. Aside from a few peas in a sauce beneath my fish, it was a plate of fish...Delicious and well prepared, but just fish. My husband on the other hand had Rib Eye (I believe that was his cut) and it was HUGE...also perfectly prepared, and served with a generous portion of mashed potatoes, asparagus and some carrots. He shared his sides with me, so we were fine, but it definitely seemed a little odd...We did enjoy our meals but not so much that we felt compelled to return again.

The area surrounding Ponte Vedra Inn and Club is stunning. My 12 year old son enjoys cars and was absolutely blown away by the many rare and exotic cars he saw while we were there. Sawgrass is right down the road and so many, many gorgeous ocean front properties line the main boulevard in and around the Inn itself.

There is a Target only a couple of miles away for any last minute items needed as well as several grocery stores.

St. Augustine was a great day trip outing and was only 1/2 hour away.

We made our way to Legoland one day which was also doable though a bit of a trek for some I suppose at 2 1/2hours away. Orlando was closer and could be reached in 2 hours.

Ponte Vedra Inn and Club does LOTS of things right, handled the few minor issues we had (a broken DVD player and ice machine) quickly and efficiently. The staff seems eager to please and I was impressed by how many have been there for over 25 years (check out their hall of fame in the main Club building). The property has virtually everything you could want in a resort, without feeling like you have landed at a cruise ship on land. The low profile of the buildings (beach front buildings are only two stories) keep the privacy in tact and noise levels down to virtually none. The grounds are impeccable.

I would highly recommend this resort to couples or families alike. You can find quiet, romantic spots throughout the property or lively entertainment and activities to suit your mood or pleasures. Some of the resort amenities are pricey but not all are necessary and guests can find alternate ways to enjoy their stay without having to utilize every costly add on.

We would definitely return. Enjoy!

Room Tip: The Beach House was just renovated 2/2014. DO book oceanfront...Get ground floor if you can. You can...
2 Thank Cyndi V
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I am originally from Jacksonville, FL and we used to attend events at the Ponte Vedra Inn but now it is a great place to visit with the kids! I recently enjoyed a day there with friends at the pools, beachfront, and later that evening, we ate the Seahorse Grill. It was all really fantastic, especially with children. We ate lunch in our cover-ups in a shielded area next to the pool, and the kids pool opens up to the beach (there are several adult pools I did not get to enjoy.) The pool had a great water slide which my five-year-old twins could not get enough of, and the dining was tasty and elegant. But not so elegant that my kids couldn't be themselves a bit. They sat us next to the aquarium so that was a great distraction. I have the lamb chops and they were superb. Having traveled around quite a bit now, I'm happy and proud to call this a new hometown haunt! If we were not from Jacksonville and we were looking for an alternative to the Outer Banks this would be fantastic. If you are looking for a replacement for Miami, this would be too family-friendly and slower paced for you, but still five-star quality.
We did not stay in the hotel so I can't comment on that.

Room Tip: We did not stay in the hotel so I can only comment on the pools and dining, but I would think oceanv...
1 Thank hawaiianwannabe
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We just stayed at an oceanfront room at the inn for three nights before Easter weekend. Unfortunately, the weather was horrible and therefore we were unable to use a lot of the amenities. The beach looks beautiful in this area and I am sure it is a great place to enjoy the ocean when the weather is good. However, overall I question its rating as a AAA Five Diamond award designation. Several days before leaving home I tried to make dining reservations for our days there. For two days I was unable to get through to a human. All I got was a message that they were busy and to leave a message. I didn't want to do that as I wanted to confirm reservations. I tried several telephone numbers listed on their website. One of them was not even for the Inn but for some credit agency. Finally, I reached a very nice girl who made my reservations for three different restaurants and repeated them to me. When we arrived at the inn, the receptionist handed me a dining room summary which was completely in error. He assured us he would correct it. Even though it was 4:30 in the afternoon, he could not confirm our room was ready. He kept working on the computer to try and find if our room was ready and finally decided to give us a different room. This room could not be further away from the main lodge if he tried. And mind you, there was no evidence that the inn was anywhere near full. The parking lots were rather empty. But, he was very pleasant. After finally checking into the room, we discovered that the phone did not work. We wanted to check our dining room reservations but were unable to do so. We did finally reach an operator who sent a maintenance man right over to fix our phone. He could not fix it but did replace it. Upon reaching the concierge, we discovered our dining reservations were still not correct. She did correct them and all was well when we showed up for dinner. Why doesn't the Inn go to a computerized reservation system where guests can make reservations online prior to leaving home ? Either that, or they really must get their act together when taking reservations. It gives a very bad impression and a bad start to what should be a pleasant stay. I must say that dinner was very good at the Seagrille and fantastic at the Innlet restaurant. Can't say the same about breakfast in the main dining room or the Prime Rib Buffet in the golf club. Very mediocre at best. Upon going to bed our first night we were very disappointed in the comfort of the bed. The mattress was clearly not of very high quality with minimal padding over springs. I really expected a much better bed at a five star resort. Overall, I give kudos to the staff, every one of which is very pleasant and helpful. They are obviously being properly trained. It would not take much to make this place a true five star resort, but attention needs to be paid to a few areas that require improvement, particularly the computer system. I would still recommend the place, but would love to have seen it at its five diamond best.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
David M, General Manager at Ponte Vedra Inn & Club, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Mr. Harley,

We are very appreciative of your comments from your recent stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all guests have a wonderful visit and the feedback we receive is truly valued. I am disappointed to know that your visit did not meet your expectations in a few areas. As such, your feedback on the dining reservations & bedding has been forwarded to the appropriate departments to improve and upgrade. We appreciate the compliments on our staff and your willingness to recommend our property & we look forward to your return soon.

Best wishes,
David Mariotti
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful resort in a beautiful location. The service is outstanding and the rooms are big. For these things it's a five star hotel. But my room was closer to three star because it was dated and needed some attention from housekeeping and maintenance. I wouldn't expect that in a resort of this caliber. They just need to pay attention to the details.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Doug S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedr...
#3 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville / Ponte Vedra
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville /...
#2 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,411 reviews
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Ponte Vedra Inn & Club? Share your experiences!