“Spa review”

Ponte Vedra Inn & Club
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I can't comment on the rooms as I haven't stayed here. Living nearby I'd rather sleep in my own bed anyways. My hubby booked a couples massage for my birthday. It was fantastic. Felt wonderful and refreshing. We hung out at the pool for a little while and entertained eating there. I have eaten at most of the restaurants on sight before and have never had great food. We decided to leave just before lunch and grabbed something in Jax Beach. I definitely recommend the Spa and would return.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here a few years ago in December, for our honeymoon. I never got the chance to write a review, but I think of this place often and had to finally write.
The room was beautiful, spacious and romantic. The grounds are spectacular and the food was delicious. They also have great amenities. I hope to go back there someday, instead of day dreaming about it.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JandJMiller
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We booked the hotel late in the game to see the last day of The Players Championship, and actually my assistant booked it so I really didn't know what to expect. Check-in was very pleasant. The entire resort has the feel of Bermuda - think Coral Beach Club. We ventured to our room and were, well, Disappointed, very disappointed. It was one of the most depressing hotel rooms I have ever set foot in, in my life. It was Oceanview, in that we could see a corner of the water, but no balcony and the decor was dark navy. Very disconcerting and actually brought me near tears given the price.

BUT, following a suggestion from my husband, we made a quick phone call to the trusty front desk when we explained our predicament, and we were quickly and without charge, set up in a seaside room that was bright, airy, and perfect in every way. We could not have been happier. We had access to and a perfect view of the ocean. The resort was not crowded our two nights, so we had almost completely unobstructed ocean view and that incomparable sound of waves charging the shore without interruption.

The room has a refrigerator, microwave and extra sink. Very handy. 24 hour room service fills in the rest. The staff is excellent and will assist in every way possible. Turn down service if you like.

The shops are nice, but of course pricey (but not out of line for a resort).

We didn't available ourselves of the beach rentals, but from our perch, it appeared efficient and friendly. The only thing that might have helped was beach bar-to-sand service (like Bermuda).

The breakfast buffet was okay. Pricey but again not beyond resort-expected. Nothing particularly special about the food.

As long as you have a room with a balcony, this is fantastic and incomparable. I really want to vacation here instead of just visiting for a quick business trip. I'm thinking Thanksgiving.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Had the opportunity to spend three nights here. Great location along the ocean. The golf course if top notch - even better than TPC Sawgrass. The fairways and greens were in excellent condition. The exercise facility was also fantastic. Finally, the staff was extremely helpful and extremely warm and welcoming. The only downside was the room. I had a room in the Beach Building and the bedroom was extremely dated. Very nice bathroom, but the bed sets and the room was not anything to write home about. Otherwise, a great place to visit, and check out a beautiful sunrise along the Atlantic.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank USAWelder
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Excellent. Accommodations and staff are second to none. Beautiful rooms. If it were possible, we'd move in and live there permanently . We have been going for the past several years and always look forward to it.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful. Ocean front is obviously premiere.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I spent 2 nights here on a recent business trip and give the Inn & Club very high marks. The staff is highly professional and courteous, the facilities excellent and the beachfront location unbeatable. Most rooms, including the one I had, are across a quiet street from the main building, in a series of 2 story structures that are right on the beach. The rooms are large and comfortable, with luxury hotel decor and features. A terrace or patio off each room is directly in front of the beach. Though I did not take advantage of the pool or beach services, I did use the gym and found it to be outstanding, with great beach views from the exercise equipment. I will definitely look forward to returning.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed at The Ponte Vedra Inn & Club over the Easter Holiday this year for six days. I was hesitant as I was unfamiliar with this area of Florida and unsure of the club itself. There were wonderful reviews for the Lodge in Conde Nast (which is part of this property resort but 1.5miles down the beach) but we had our 12 year old son with us and wanted a little more proximity to the tennis and golf amenities. We could not have been more pleased with our choice.

I spoke to the concierge on the phone for quite awhile after booking to be sure we had made the right choice and while we could not request a specific 'room', we could ask to be placed in a specific building. She recommended (and SO glad she did) The Beach House. Completely renovated only a month ago, it was beautifully furnished and ideally located. We opted for, as so many here recommended, the preferred oceanfront and am so glad we did. The views from our room and patio were spectacular and were such a welcomed pleasure even when the weather was less than cooperative. The patio was set up with two chairs and one table, but with three in our accommodations, we requested a third chair, which they quickly provided. I had been concerned that the walkway to and from the pool would make our accommodations feel less private, but even with a very full property, the privacy afforded us was wonderful.

Our plan included Bed & Breakfast and we did enjoy the food at the Club, however the buffet did not depart from the same menu selections daily with the exception of switching pancakes and french toast options. After 3 days our son was not enthusiastic about eating the same items and opted instead to eat in the room from items we had purchsed at the store. The staff was always friendly and helpful, though the waitstaff at breakfast varied, from offering juices and coffees and asking if we would like toast with our items (Thank you Annette!), to having to flag them down for our first cup of coffee (another server). The fact that gratuity is included is at times, in my experience a culprit in these instances. The omelet station was well stocked with fresh items and were perfectly made.

Our room included a 'wet bar' area that almost doubled as a small kitchenette. Perfect for having our own stash of cocktail fixings and hors d'oeuvres. It did also contain a microwave, small refrigerator (not shared with minibar items) and a few dishes and silverware. We made use of these for snacks and drinks.

The room size was very commodious and comfortable. There was a full sized dresser (a very appreciated piece and harder to find in my experience) plus an entertainment center and separate desk & chair plus an nice upholstered club chair. The bath was beautifully fitted and included both a bath tub and a separate shower as well as a w/c in a private enclosure.

We also made use of the Spa services while we were there. My husband enjoyed a massage and I had both a pedicure and facial. My husband reported that though the massage was nice, it was not the best he has had. I enjoyed both my pedicure and my facial and felt happy with both services. The Spa itself is beautiful and includes a private pool and covered veranda that is absolutely lovely. The locker rooms were nicely appointed and the staff at the spa was extremely attentive. I enjoyed a delicious salmon caesar salad while there as well as a couple of glasses of wine. Though both were pricey in my humble opinion. (A glass of Sonoma Cutrer was 13.50). I would highly recommend use of the spa while at your stay. Getting a simple service affords you use of the facilities before and after your service. Be sure to use the steam room and sauna BEFORE your pedi though! ;)

We stopped into the Pub one evening to have a drink and found a lively crowd there. Though as we sat and watched it became evident that everyone knew everyone else. The Ponte Vedra Inn and Club sells memberships to local residents in the area and many enjoy the Pub while they are in town and visiting. That made being hotel guests a little odd, since there was little opportunity to just 'chat' with other guests as most were locals and were engage in conversation among themselves.

The weather was not terribly cooperative for either tennis or golf while we were there, but we spoke to several other guests who frequent the property on a more regular basis and they had nothing but glowing things to say about both.

We used the family pool area as well as the surf club for both food and drinks. The family pool area was very busy on the one sunny and warm day that we had, so much so, that we had difficulty finding a lounge chair. The club does provide beach towels for use at the pool or beach, however they are modest in size and are more of a bath towel.

Though the weather was not really suited for beach use, (due to wind) we did take note of the cost of beach chair and umbrella rentals...at $15/day for chairs and $14 for an umbrella, that gets pricey quick. Many guests did bring or buy their own chairs instead. Bike rentals were something like $10/hour. YIKES!

On the upside, the food at the poolside grill was somewhat reasonably priced and actually was quite good! The cocktails were delicious and not 'all ice'.

We ate at the Seahorse Grill one night and while the food was well prepared and presented the portions were on absolutely different planets. I had the Chilean Sea Bass which was wonderful but there were really no sides presented with it at all. Aside from a few peas in a sauce beneath my fish, it was a plate of fish...Delicious and well prepared, but just fish. My husband on the other hand had Rib Eye (I believe that was his cut) and it was HUGE...also perfectly prepared, and served with a generous portion of mashed potatoes, asparagus and some carrots. He shared his sides with me, so we were fine, but it definitely seemed a little odd...We did enjoy our meals but not so much that we felt compelled to return again.

The area surrounding Ponte Vedra Inn and Club is stunning. My 12 year old son enjoys cars and was absolutely blown away by the many rare and exotic cars he saw while we were there. Sawgrass is right down the road and so many, many gorgeous ocean front properties line the main boulevard in and around the Inn itself.

There is a Target only a couple of miles away for any last minute items needed as well as several grocery stores.

St. Augustine was a great day trip outing and was only 1/2 hour away.

We made our way to Legoland one day which was also doable though a bit of a trek for some I suppose at 2 1/2hours away. Orlando was closer and could be reached in 2 hours.

Ponte Vedra Inn and Club does LOTS of things right, handled the few minor issues we had (a broken DVD player and ice machine) quickly and efficiently. The staff seems eager to please and I was impressed by how many have been there for over 25 years (check out their hall of fame in the main Club building). The property has virtually everything you could want in a resort, without feeling like you have landed at a cruise ship on land. The low profile of the buildings (beach front buildings are only two stories) keep the privacy in tact and noise levels down to virtually none. The grounds are impeccable.

I would highly recommend this resort to couples or families alike. You can find quiet, romantic spots throughout the property or lively entertainment and activities to suit your mood or pleasures. Some of the resort amenities are pricey but not all are necessary and guests can find alternate ways to enjoy their stay without having to utilize every costly add on.

We would definitely return. Enjoy!

Room Tip: The Beach House was just renovated 2/2014. DO book oceanfront...Get ground floor if you can. You can...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cyndi V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedr...
#3 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville / Ponte Vedra
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville /...
#2 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Ponte Vedra Inn & Club? Share your experiences!