“Terrible service, bug on the wall, rashes/bites”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Port Charlotte
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Checked in Friday afternoon. The woman at the front desk was really unfriendly - she didn't make eye contact, never said anything resembling "thank you." Whatever. I'm not the sensitive type, and plenty of people hate their jobs. It wasn't until Sunday morning that I came to realize that this sort of attitude toward guests was endemic to this hotel.

After a long drive, we finally got settled and fell asleep late Friday night. The phone rang...at MIDNIGHT...waking us all up. It was the front desk, who felt it was appropriate to call in the middle of the night to ask if a car belonged to me (it didn't). It took us all several hours to get back to sleep.

Not long thereafter (at 7 a.m.), the smoke alarm started chirping, waking us again (at 7 a.m.). It chirped six times, then stopped. Since the chirping stopped, we assumed it was a power outage (the alarms are hard wired into the wall). Regardless, we were now operating on about four hours of sleep.

We crashed - hard - Saturday night around 2 in the morning. (I was in town for a high school reunion and had lots of people to see in a very short amount of time). I was really looking forward to a good night's sleep before I hit the road for a 16-hour drive back to virginia.

Once again, the smoke alarm started chirping...this time at 5 am. And it wouldn't stop.

I was awake with three hours of sleep - and seven altogether over the course of two days at this hotel.

I went to the front desk to report the issue. The person on duty (Susan, who as far as I can tell sits in the dining room watching TV all night) said there is nothing she can do to help us, because that person (Caesar) doesn't come in until 7. In fact, she blamed me for the problem, saying that had I said something the day before they could have fixed it.

I was stunned. There was nothing she could do? Not wanting to spend 90 minutes waiting for someone who could make something happen, I called the customer service number listed on the website. I spoke to someone in a foreign country with an incomprehensible accent. All I could make out is him telling me that customer service isn't open on weekends. Think about that. The time when most people stay in hotels...and there is no customer service.

On top of these constant interruptions, what time I did spend in their bed left me with a bright red rash on my back and bites all over my legs. Draw your own conclusions.

I was not about to pay full price for this, so I waited for Caesar to arrive. We sat in the breakfast room, disgusted by the bug crawling around on the wall (yes, I took a picture).

Caesar arrived, and I calmly stated the facts and then asked what he could do to make it right. He checked his computer, said that booking through a third party (Kayak/Booking.com) made us ineligible for any sort of refund. However, he would "leave a note."

Leave a note. That was his offer.

At this point, I had taken just about as much abuse as I could stand. I told him that his response was unacceptable. I had lost two nights of sleep, 90-minutes of drive time, and was covered in a rash and bug bites - and he was going to leave a note.

I asked him to confirm his name. In my hand was my money clip, into which I had put a Country Inn business card. He grabbed the card and RIPPED it out of my hand, wrote his name on it, then returned it to me.

I told him precisely what I thought of him and his hotel and their lack of customer service, and made it clear that I would report this far and wide. His response was essentially GTFO.

It occurs to me now that at no point - not during the midnight interruption, not at 5 a.m. with Susan, not at 7 a.m. with Caesar - did anyone offer even a half-hearted apology. Not once did "I'm sorry" cross anyone's lips. Instead, they escalated everything, either blaming me or acting with insolent indifference.

Bottom line: If you love aggressively rude customer service, rashes/bites, and bugs crawling on the wall - this is the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Jeff R
PrashantCX, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

We are very sorry for the issues that you experienced during your stay here. If we were informed of the issue at the beginning of your stay as opposed to the end, I am sure that we would have been able to rectify the issue. We hope that if you come back into the area, you will give us the opportunity to show you that we do care about all of our customers, including you as well. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and we will use it to fine tune our operations.

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte

Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel and is my favorite place to visit when in the area. The staff here is excellent and all have a great attitude toward the service they provide. My family also loves the breakfast that is prepared fresh and with great presentation that is delightfully inviting. We stay very comfortable and are well rested each night. Thanks for the hospitality and making us feel at home!
-clc

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank IICeeDubbII
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights for a nearby business. For $55/nt business rate, I'd rate it better, but I think the typical rate is more towards $90. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff left us alone and the front desk clerks were helpful. The breakfast lady didn't seem too happy, but that was semi-entertaining. I was impressed with the breakfast spread the first morning; bagels, pastries, sausage, eggs, potatoes, make your own waffles, fruit cocktail, and juices, teas, and coffee. It wasn't that great, but probably just as good as anywhere else. There wasn't anything healthy though--fruit cocktail, but no bananas or apples. It's a good value for families, but I couldn't eat it for 5 days! Our room cards didn't work very well and the elevator was creaky. The hallways and stairwells smelled bad, but the room was fine. We did not go to the pool or Jacuzzi.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Yum941
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Location was good and the price was right for a weekend stop over. Front desk people were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast hostess was not happy and the food quality reflected it. Very noisy hotel, as we could hear all the other people in surrounding rooms.

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear the people in the pool, ask for rooms on the other side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank HockeyParent13
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This hotel is kept immaculate.. The rooms are ample,with all amenities and comfortable beds. The complimentary breakfast was good and contained a wide variety of items. The entire staff is not only professional and courteous but warm and friendly. It is adjacent to I-75,incredibly easy to get wherever you need to go. The area has wonderful moderately priced restaurants,or go a few miles into Port Charlotte or Punta Gorda for a wide variety of restaurants. Close to Gasparilla Island. I will stay here every time I am in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kelgrl
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Comfortable large room complete with microwave and small refrigerator. Full size washer/dryer down the hall. Great complimentary breakfast and cookies throughout the day. Reasonable price and pet friendly. After being in lots of hotels where the "pet friendly" rooms were crummy, this is a real find. There's a Publix across the street and nearby moderately priced restaurants.

Room Tip: Double rooms had 2 queen size beds, and I liked the convenience of a first floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2013

The staff here was very helpful and welcoming. The rooms were clean and the suites had a lot of room. We stayed here due to the proximity to the Rays Spring Training facility where my son had a baseball tournament. The beds were very comfortable, there was a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Also the hotel was close to many restaurants and we were surprised to find it was very close to Gasparilla Island. The beaches there are beautiful and not as crowded as some of the other big name beaches. Definitely we will stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda
PG Waterfront Hotel & Suites
PG Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#4 of 7 in Punta Gorda

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte? Share your experiences!