Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Port Charlotte, FL
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Port Charlotte
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed three nights. Pretty easy to get to with navigation, but it might have been tricky getting to it without nav. We had a suite with sitting room slightly divided from bedroom area. Room was clean, very spacious. Very comfortable bed. Large flat panel TV. Micro and frig and coffeemaker all worked well. Bathroom very large with lots of counter space. Even though we had a room right by the front desk there was never a noise issue. Bill and Carlos at the front desk were friendly and helpful. Breakfast had nice variety, the lady attending it was friendly and constantly taking care to replenish the food. Did not use the pool, but looked inviting. Did use the laundry - went well. No laundry detergent available, so had to pick some up at a store. Would definitely stay again. Quite nice!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Room was clean. 2 queen beds with space to move around. Microwave, refrigerator all in the room. Breakfast included. Nice breakfast with many choices of hot items. Sound proofing was nearly non-existent between rooms though. Could hear everything from next door. However, that could have been because they were incredibly noisy (i.e. adults arguing, toddler crying and children jumping on beds which in turn hit the walls) at 1:30am. Their headboards were on the same wall as our headboards. Night staff did their best to control the issue. Very reasonable rates for the pets to stay in the room. A/C unit didn't work in the first room we were assigned, but front desk staff moved u to another room quickly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stayed here in August 2013, as part of a business event where my firm had reserved a conference room. My first impression was, this place was NOT new or updated (despite a review saying it was) and the pool, in the front of the hotel in full view of the parking lot, was the size of a large bathtub. The hotel was basically empty, but on the second night I was there, they placed a family with young children in the room RIGHT NEXT TO MINE. The obviously disfunctional family was yelling and screaming at eachother and their kids from 9pm until 1am. I called the front desk to complain at 11 pm, and Susan at the desk knew immediately who I was complaining about and said, "I know what room they are in, I will call them", well, they only got louder. It was a horrible night and made for a bad business trip. I checked out the next day, a day early and when I complained upon check out, the clerk said he would have the manager, Preshant, call me. He never did. I called and left a detailed message with Susan (who remembered the incident) to have him call me; he never did. 3 weeks later I called again....He was rude and blamed me for not asking to be moved (although they did not offer it). Needless to stay, neither I nor my firm will ever stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelPro330
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Port Charlotte, FL, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. We understand how important a quiet environment is and apologize for the noisy family next to your room. Your feedback helps us prevent situations such as this in the future. We hope you will give us another chance if you are in the area again.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Very friendly and clean. Staff is very helpful and always willing to help in any way possible. Very comfortable & warm. Almost as good as home. Can hardly wait to return. Have stayed there 6 or 7 times and always the same wonderful group of people. Convenient to major highways. Lots of places to dine in the area. Stories are also very near. The General Manager Prasant(not sure of spelling) is wonderful as is Carlos. Michelle is always on the go never stops working. She covers a variety of areas in the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Checked in Friday afternoon. The woman at the front desk was really unfriendly - she didn't make eye contact, never said anything resembling "thank you." Whatever. I'm not the sensitive type, and plenty of people hate their jobs. It wasn't until Sunday morning that I came to realize that this sort of attitude toward guests was endemic to this hotel.

After a long drive, we finally got settled and fell asleep late Friday night. The phone rang...at MIDNIGHT...waking us all up. It was the front desk, who felt it was appropriate to call in the middle of the night to ask if a car belonged to me (it didn't). It took us all several hours to get back to sleep.

Not long thereafter (at 7 a.m.), the smoke alarm started chirping, waking us again (at 7 a.m.). It chirped six times, then stopped. Since the chirping stopped, we assumed it was a power outage (the alarms are hard wired into the wall). Regardless, we were now operating on about four hours of sleep.

We crashed - hard - Saturday night around 2 in the morning. (I was in town for a high school reunion and had lots of people to see in a very short amount of time). I was really looking forward to a good night's sleep before I hit the road for a 16-hour drive back to virginia.

Once again, the smoke alarm started chirping...this time at 5 am. And it wouldn't stop.

I was awake with three hours of sleep - and seven altogether over the course of two days at this hotel.

I went to the front desk to report the issue. The person on duty (Susan, who as far as I can tell sits in the dining room watching TV all night) said there is nothing she can do to help us, because that person (Caesar) doesn't come in until 7. In fact, she blamed me for the problem, saying that had I said something the day before they could have fixed it.

I was stunned. There was nothing she could do? Not wanting to spend 90 minutes waiting for someone who could make something happen, I called the customer service number listed on the website. I spoke to someone in a foreign country with an incomprehensible accent. All I could make out is him telling me that customer service isn't open on weekends. Think about that. The time when most people stay in hotels...and there is no customer service.

On top of these constant interruptions, what time I did spend in their bed left me with a bright red rash on my back and bites all over my legs. Draw your own conclusions.

I was not about to pay full price for this, so I waited for Caesar to arrive. We sat in the breakfast room, disgusted by the bug crawling around on the wall (yes, I took a picture).

Caesar arrived, and I calmly stated the facts and then asked what he could do to make it right. He checked his computer, said that booking through a third party (Kayak/Booking.com) made us ineligible for any sort of refund. However, he would "leave a note."

Leave a note. That was his offer.

At this point, I had taken just about as much abuse as I could stand. I told him that his response was unacceptable. I had lost two nights of sleep, 90-minutes of drive time, and was covered in a rash and bug bites - and he was going to leave a note.

I asked him to confirm his name. In my hand was my money clip, into which I had put a Country Inn business card. He grabbed the card and RIPPED it out of my hand, wrote his name on it, then returned it to me.

I told him precisely what I thought of him and his hotel and their lack of customer service, and made it clear that I would report this far and wide. His response was essentially GTFO.

It occurs to me now that at no point - not during the midnight interruption, not at 5 a.m. with Susan, not at 7 a.m. with Caesar - did anyone offer even a half-hearted apology. Not once did "I'm sorry" cross anyone's lips. Instead, they escalated everything, either blaming me or acting with insolent indifference.

Bottom line: If you love aggressively rude customer service, rashes/bites, and bugs crawling on the wall - this is the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Jeff R
PrashantCX, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Port Charlotte, FL, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

We are very sorry for the issues that you experienced during your stay here. If we were informed of the issue at the beginning of your stay as opposed to the end, I am sure that we would have been able to rectify the issue. We hope that if you come back into the area, you will give us the opportunity to show you that we do care about all of our customers, including you as well. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and we will use it to fine tune our operations.

Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel and is my favorite place to visit when in the area. The staff here is excellent and all have a great attitude toward the service they provide. My family also loves the breakfast that is prepared fresh and with great presentation that is delightfully inviting. We stay very comfortable and are well rested each night. Thanks for the hospitality and making us feel at home!
-clc

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank IICeeDubbII
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights for a nearby business. For $55/nt business rate, I'd rate it better, but I think the typical rate is more towards $90. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff left us alone and the front desk clerks were helpful. The breakfast lady didn't seem too happy, but that was semi-entertaining. I was impressed with the breakfast spread the first morning; bagels, pastries, sausage, eggs, potatoes, make your own waffles, fruit cocktail, and juices, teas, and coffee. It wasn't that great, but probably just as good as anywhere else. There wasn't anything healthy though--fruit cocktail, but no bananas or apples. It's a good value for families, but I couldn't eat it for 5 days! Our room cards didn't work very well and the elevator was creaky. The hallways and stairwells smelled bad, but the room was fine. We did not go to the pool or Jacuzzi.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
5 mi away
Days Inn Port Charlotte
Days Inn Port Charlotte
#4 of 8 in Port Charlotte

Been to Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Port Charlotte, FL? Share your experiences!