“not worth the money”

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Port Charlotte
venice
“not worth the money”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Located where we wanted so booked on line. Big error. Towels had dirty marks on them and some had the smell of tobacco smoke, not nice for non smokers. Beds not made up one day and towels not replaced on two days, we finally put dirty towels outside door to ensure they were changed. Would not provide decaf coffee but had flask sitting there each day empty! Aircon would only work for a short while before tripping out, electrician claimed to have fixed on two occasions but it stayed the same Lucky the weather was not too hot. Glad the four days we had paid for were finally over and we could move on to a better place.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank catkiwi123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Peabody, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Needed to stop for 1 night, all about location.
Seemed clean & well maintained.
Checked out by 11:00 am, on way
to airport, my husband inspected his shoulder,
started itching...trio bites all on upper left shoulder & back.
Mgr. Dave, informed me nothing he could do.

Room Tip: Non applicable
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank debk151
Central Florida
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Stay away. Mistake #1) First, I booked the room online. My dates to visit Port Charlotte had changed. I called the hotel and was informed that because I booked the room online I needed to make the change online. Silly me, thinking I could change my arrival date - I called 10 minutes past the 4:00 p.m. cut-off time. Was charged for the night before my arrival date.

Mistake #2) Checked out a day early and was told I had to use my credit card and not cash to pay. I had indicated on my online/phone reservation that the card was to hold the room and I would be paying cash upon checkout. That made no difference. They also informed me that I would be charged the additional nights that I would not be staying. I called the customer service number and they reassured me I would not be charged the additional nights but would be given an additional charge for checking out early.

If you are used to going to a Fairfield, Courtyard, etc. you will be extremely disappointed. Unfortunately, there weren't any of those in town. I wasn't expecting much coming here and that's exactly what I got. Oh, if you call to book online, they put you through to a 'reward' phone number. They offer you $40 back - in hotel dollars. What a joke. Previous posters were accurate with the surly staff. Stay away!

You definitely get what you pay for here. Nothing, and a lot of hassle.

Room Tip: Stay away. First, I booked the room online. My dates to visit Port Charlotte had changed. Silly me...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Noel102
Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 January 2012

...shame on me, but they won't fool me twice! Looks like they gamed many on-line reviews. ...we booked on pretext of "decent room, good value." Not the case. Surly staff whose English is halting and condescending. Bed is good and plenty of hot water, but room is old, marginally clean, with a greasy, stained shower stall. Look elsewhere unless in a pinch.

Room Tip: stick with AAA
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Portage,MI
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I booked at this motel because it is convenient to reach the airport from it and the price was good as we were going to arrive late afternoon with our 6 year old grandson and leave early as we had a 7:30a.m. flight.
We arrived around 9p.m. and had a little difficulty finding the motel...everything was much smaller on the outside than the photos on-line had indicated. Then we had difficulty understanding what the manager said as English was NOT his primary language. We got to our room and again it was much smaller than indicated on-line. The room did appear clean but with a worn out look. I helped our grandson get ready for a shower before bed and discovered there no hot water so now we had three very hot, sweaty people with no chance for a shower. Which might be a good thing as the towels were paper thin and exactly 3 in the room. My husband went to get bottled water (most motels these days supply at least one per guest in the room) . He put money in the machine and no water, no money back..... so he tried to have a conversation with the manager and after quite awhile did get the money back....the vending machine was outside and there was nothing inside that allowed you to get a drink or snack. The air-conditioner was so loud it vibrated the front door, so we had to stuff paper in to stop that. Then all night long it went from a volume of a jet plane landing to a dull roar off and on every few minutes until we wanted to tear our hair out, but it was way too hot to turn it off. The beds were double beds, which I now know mean a full bed, not queen size bed and the bedding was smaller than should be and the pillows flatter - in other words very little sleep, like three hours and we had to get up at 5:00 to be at the airport by 6:30a.m. The manager had told us (I think that is what he said) that there would be coffee and breakfast available when we left the next morning.....as we pulled out of the parking lot the office and breakfast area there was no lights on and no one there to greet us for the promised breakfast....we left the keys on the desk tired, hot, hungry and upset! It would have been better to have slept in our car than at this place. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Etheslvill, AL 35461
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Booked this room online. BAD mistake, having never stayed here before. Checked in, went to room, returned to desk and informed Mgt. we couldnt stay there. She offered to let us look at another room. Looked, returned to desk, left key and then left property. Mgt. would not refund money because "they offered us another room". Beware, this is a DUMP!

Room Tip: The pictures online are deceiving. This place is a rat hole!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank William L
Hurricane, Utah
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We booked a non-smoking room here for 3 nights. The first room we were given smelled of stale smoke, so we asked to move. We were given a room that was somewhat better smell-wise. Overall the room was OK, what you would expect from an older motel.

However, we had a family situation arise where we needed to cut our stay short. We talked to the manager about this on the first night, and the possibility of getting la partial refund for the remaining nights. He was absolutely unwilling to even consider this, even though our reservations specifically stated that our credit card wouldn't be charged until check out. He told us that he had already submitted our card info to the company, and that they had already charged it, and there was no way he could get anything back. When we called the company customer service number, they said this was untrue. When we mentioned this to the manager, he came up with more lies and excuses. He made it very clear that he would NEVER under any circumstances consider our request.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the back.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
PG Waterfront Hotel & Suites
PG Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#4 of 7 in Punta Gorda
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte

Been to Knights Inn Port Charlotte? Share your experiences!