“Update”

Portofino Waterfront Dining
Ranked #168 of 206 Restaurants in Port Charlotte
Cuisines: American, Bar, Italian, Seafood, Pub
Good for: View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Florida
“Update”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I’m following up on review I submitted on Portofino Waterfront Restaurant in Port Charlotte about a month ago. In my review I stated that contrary to all the negative reviews our experience was totally opposite. I said we found the food and the service to good and we would go there again and see if our experience was a fluke. Well as we found out last night it was.

My order of chicken parmesan with linguini was terrible. The chicken was dry and tough and the marinara sauce had to come out of a jar and it was burnt. The other people also claimed their meals were mediocre at best. However, the real insult came when we got bill. Before we ordered our dinner we had a few cocktails to start the evening. I had bourbon & my wife vodka. A few of the others people we were with ordered scotch.

When reviewing my bill I noticed they charged me $4 a drink and our friends $3.50. I asked the waitress (who was very nice) about the difference, she said she didn’t know but would ask the manager. When she returned she said there was a glitch and the manager would be over to explain. When the manger came over he said he didn’t know why the computer had two different prices but there was nothing he could do about it. I said just give me a refund for the difference, he said that wouldn’t be possible.

Based on this last experience I feel that the previous negative reviews I read were correct and our first visit was just a fluke.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank dewarsduo

Hinsdale, IL
“Perfect setting!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Shared a lovely evening celebrating a birthday with a special friend! Portofino has a tranquil setting overlooking Charlotte Harbor and the bridge, with a choice of sitting inside or out. Our server Jason was friendly and accommodating. Both the chicken marsala and veal marsala were delicious! First time visitors, we were so happy we took the recommendation and dined at Portofino, it was a memorable meal and evening. Look forward to returning!

• Visited July 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Great surprise!”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Was a bit worried about the negative reviews, but we decided to chance it and try Portofino in Port Charlotte, Florida.
View is amazing! Charlotte Harbor at its finest!
Service was fantastic! Thanks Jason! And thanks Anne - Great table
And
The food was outstanding!

So ignore the old negative reviews and give it a try!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Millie0113
tampa
“Nice place on water”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Within walking distance of hotel. Drinks were reasonable. Music was good. The place seemed filled with locals.

Visited August 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Such a waste of a great location!”
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Food is average but it is an improvement from the horrendous Easter lunch we had there a couple years ago. If you are looking for good italian food keep looking because you won't find it there. We return once in a while hoping for a change in ownership, but unfotunately a location with a great view can carry even the worst cuisine. The service or lack there of, is even worse that the food. If you make a reservation by phone you may get a "taste" of it... they really don't want to be bothered. Do yourself a favor find another quaint place to eat, there are much better options in PC. If you really want to enjoy the view stop by for a draft or a glass of wine on the patio, but do not expect much from the wait staff. They need to be retrained or maybe find another profession.

• Visited July 2013