“Waterfront means nothing when food sucks!”
Review of Portofino Waterfront Dining - CLOSED

Portofino Waterfront Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Don't bother eating at this restaurant. We thought that being that it was on the waterfront in Port Charlotte overlooking the Charlotte Harbor it must be pretty good. WRONG. The place is run down and very old looking inside and out. We were there during a terrible storm and the roof was leaking with water actually running down the walls but the proprietors didn't address the issue. The food was tasteless and overpriced. Please do not waste your time and money.

2  Thank Muckross24

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Was very concerned about going to this place when we looked at reviews. Went with another couple to celebrate Fathers Day. The place was not busy, got a table outside up on topside deck area. They had Happy Hours drink specials, and if you ordered food outside they gave you the Lunch Menu as an option. ( If you ate inside you got the Dinner Menu to select from only)

So over all we enjoyed ourselves, the View is really gorgeous! The food was fine, nothing really special, and could probably use some improvements.

Overall it appears to need some attention and care if the owners want to succeed. It is not good to have so many negative reviews about the food, etc. This location should speak for itself, and draw in enough people to make it successful!

I am going to give it average, but the view really is terrific!

Need to look at service, and up that a notch......

The food portions were very large, that is really not necessary, to be as big as they were.

Anyway, I will try it again, or possibly just for drinks! Hope that they can get their act together to make this successful!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

There are not enough negative words to describe the most atrocious meal I've ever ate. Last nigh a group of us went to dinner (if you want to call it that) at Portofino's in Port Charlotte.

Please understand that we thought we knew exactly what to expect since we'd been there before. But I couldn't believe this place could have gotten any worse. The reason we back was to give them another chance and support our local restaurants. Also, because of their outstanding view or should I say million dollar view of Charlotte Harbor. Well for those who have never been to Portofino's, I suggest you don't waste your time & money.

Last nights menu included a $10 stuffed lobster tail. What the menu should have said was, a $10 stuffed lobster "shell no meat". My wife unfortunately ordered the lobster and found out the hard way. To make matters worse, what ever meat was in shell you couldn't get to. Because the place didn't have any lobster picks. They also offered a whole lobster which our friends ordered only to find out it was dry and tasteless. Also, with the whole lobster they served something called coleslaw (see picture). If anything it looked like coleslaw soup.

As for me, I order the fried cod (what a mistake). When the server brought out the meal it looked like Gorton's frozen battered fish fillets. Needless to say they were awful and the after taste lasted quite sometime. The vegetables were cold and mushy like they were seating in a pot of water all day. The only meal that as I understood to be good was the chicken piccata.

The service was good and our server was very good at your job up until more people started to show up. Then everything started to go downhill because it seemed like she was the only server in the place. She must had 10 or more tables to wait on. All together we were seated in the restaurant from start to finish over an hour and a half.

The only thing anyone could hope for, is the restaurant to be sold to an experienced restaurateur.

3  Thank dewarsduo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I wanted a bean soup that they had offered, but the waitress suggested against it and let us sample it...it was not good at all. I appreciated her doing that though...that was good customer service. Since I wanted to enjoy the atmosphere, we stayed, but we weren't super hungry and not being fish lovers left little to choose from that wasn't salad.

2  Thank SLJ1952
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Waited for 30 minutes after being told that the wait would be 10 minutes. But they did us a favor. we saw a cat roaming around the salad table. That was enough for the 4 of us. We left and ate at a clean restaurant in Punta Gorda.

3  Thank SLAINTE46