“Great location and views, filthy carpet.”

and 1 more site!
Banana Bay Waterfront Motel
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My review is mixed on this place. From the time I personally checked out the motel and reserved three rooms for family, to the time of our visit, the motel changed hands. So I believe the good reviews of the past may change. The pros: the motel is right on the river. You can sit and watch the beautiful sunsets with a cool drink. There is a beautiful park and playground just a short walk away, also on the beautiful river. There is a long pier at the hotel and you don't need a license to fish. There is a putt golf course next door and a restaurant on the other side. (No noise from either place to bother you). Nice area to sit outside with tables to eat at and grills to use. Rooms are small but enough. Bathrooms are the smallest I have ever seen, but shower stall was roomy. Lovely little retreat. Cons: the carpets were dark so you couldn't tell until you walked on them with socks or bare feet - they were just black, dirty, filthy! Dirtiest I have ever seen. Our feet were black after walking on them. That was the worst part. The last quarter of the pier was thick with bird poo. I didn't want the kids near there. One of our rooms smelled pretty bad. We complained but nothing was done. The owner, (who says she is not the owner which we thought was strange) scolded us for not picking up the shuffle board sticks ( we weren't done) and scolded another family member for leaving the outside light on. All the outside lights were on so we didn't get that. Also, scolded for leaving our plates on an outside table. Again, we weren't done yet. Just felt you shouldn't scold your guests. We rented a kayak and had to get it off the rack and return it ourselves. Don't expect to be waited on at this place at all. They allow pets as stated on their website, but when part of my family arrived from out of town, we were told they couldn't stay as they had a cat. I think they should say they only allow dogs and not use the word pets in their ads if that is the case. I had to say I would pay for an extra day rental of the unit for cleaning and agree to pay if the cat scratched the bedspread. But any dog owners did not have to make any such agreement. They advertise heated pool but it was too cold for us to swim in, although we tried. They said they don't turn on the heater until December. A lady came out as two of us were in the pool and tested the water with a kit. I thought they should have waited until were gone. My granddaughter asked what she was doing and the lady said "testing the water so no one gets sick". Hmmm. That concerned me some. The grass needed mowing which was a nice area to sit otherwise. Anyway, I think this was and could be a wonderful little motel but it's the little things that can make or break a place. I was just not comfortable with the strange new owner and the place certainly needs some cleaning and better upkeep.

Room Tip: Take a damp washcloth and rub it on the rug before accepting the room. The rugs were beyond dirty w...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Avis239

Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed at this motel for 4 nights while looking at property in the area. They seems to attract extended stays. Several guests we met live at the motel. It seems many people start here while relocating to the area. This is a no frills simple clean place.

The motel offers a pool and a very long dock with space to tie up a boat. The location is perfect. The motel is right on the water of Port Charlotte Bay.

Our waterfront room had two double beds and a kitchenette. The bath had a small shower stall, no tub. A laundry room is located the pool. The room was older however it was maintained and clean.

The price was our room was about 110 per night, weekly rates are discounted. This rate was a bit more than the Sheraton across the bay in Punta Gorda, but we were not looking for hotel experience and really liked the size of this small location as well as the ability to cook some of our meals while in town.

My family and I really our stay at the motel, although my daughter would have preferred other kids to play with. Bring plenty of bait and maybe rent a boat from Goodtime Boat Rentals!

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Danai G
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Very clean. Owners helpful and friendly. Most important they allowed us to bring our 2 babies....a lab and terrier. Room was spacious with kitchenette. We were able o launch our boat across the river and park it at the dock all weekend. Would recommend this place and definitely will be back! Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank klordh
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Wife & I had to go to Florida for some personal business / pleasure. Found this place and it was a great value. It was your typical mom & pop place. Nothing fancy. Just basics, but that's what we wanted. Right on Peace River. Great views, peaceful. Only thing we didn't like was the are pet friendly. Not my cup of tea. Glad room didn't smell like dog or cat. Would go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rick A
Reviewed 4 June 2013

quaint and comfortable. very clean. helpful owners. ample parking lot. friendly atmosphere everywhere you moved. reasonably priced. attractive room with comfortable beds. beautiful sunsets. close to Tamiami trail, restaurants and shops. only steps away from the beautiful Port Harbor Park. somehow Banana Bay Motel is designed in a way that you feel glad you came and stayed there. It was a very happy experience the two days we spent there.;)nd we felt very relaxed and in communion with Nature and its beauty....

Room Tip: our room was waterfront... and the price was very reasonable.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 78Magali
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This motel proved to be very friendly, with a casual, quaint atmosphelre. Easily accessible to anything & everything that you may wish to do. Property and room were very clean and it certainly reflected the quaint old Florida mood. For a small fee you could rent a fishing pole and bait and fish off the only dock I saw in the area....and it's theirs. We were very pleased with our decision and will be back next year

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce V
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Stayed at this property April 8th......old but quaint. The staff were very friendly and made you feel welcome. They work really hard at keeping the grounds immaculate with some lovey touches such as the swing. My husband enjoyed the pool. There is a pricey restaurant within walking distance or else you can drive a short ways. Our room was fine......everything worked. Banana Bay seemed very peaceful and the ocean views were stunning,especially the sunset. I would definitely recommend Banana Bay........the location alone is worth the price.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Four Points By Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte
Sleep Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte

Been to Banana Bay Waterfront Motel? Share your experiences!